Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day (back when both Starfire and Star Fleet Battles were sold in ziploc bags by Task Force Games) I really enjoyed playing this. Can anyone do a quick review of this? Has the game survived well or has it failed to adapt to modern design standards? I am thinking about picking this up but want to know more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.B. Vandervecken
United States
Minnesnowta
flag msg tools
mb
I am currently playing in 1 campaign and am setting up a solo campaign. The tactical part of the game is an expansion of those Zip lock games you played so many years ago. The weapons and systems are very balanced in the Solar version of the game (6th edition). The empire building part of the game can be very cool but it is a bit daunting. It has come a long way in the last few years but I still would not label the rules as user friendly. There is just so much that this pen and paper came encompasses that only by playing it can you start to get to know the game. For those who do, the gameplay can be epic. But to get over the hurdle of a couple hundred pages of rules is not for everyone. The current staff are dedicated to making the rules better, but they still have some hurdles in making it more accessible as well. The GREAT news is that at the Starfire Design Studio website, they constantly are active there in their forums and along with some very dedicated fans - will answer any question a new or newer player may have.

If you or anyone are interested in a Wonderful spaceship combat game with a massive 4x empire building behind it. Go to the website and take a gander. The have a free download called the 'Quick-Start Rules'. It is 4 page download with about 2.5 pages of rules in it that will get you battling other ships in minutes. Even better, just about a month ago, they put in their downloads area another free download called 'Advanced Quick-Start' which adds another few pages of rules to the original quick start rules. It is almost like having the Solar version of that first Zip Lock game of Starfire.

My daughter just turned 12 and loves the combat portion of the game. I, being a much bigger (and Older) Geek, am enjoying the larger Meta-game and empire building. Would it be easier if this was turned into a computer game? Unfortunately, yes. But if you have the time and desire to go deep into a system that will give you that ultimate emperor feel (with a side dish of Royal Treasurer for good or bad), then this latest version may be just what you want.

I'm no expert at the game, but the more I play the more I get comfortable with the immense rule set. The Starfire forums has a plethora of information and some wonderful Fan Fiction and a core of players who will be there when you need a question answered. There is both a System Generation and a Empire running spreadsheet available in the download section that are very helpful to players; and both are now upgraded to the 'Solar Starfire' version of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be interested in licensing this as a computer based game?

I have some friends who would love (well, so they claim) to develop something like this for computer/tablet multi-player game. I still own all of the older expansions (Alkelda Dawn, etc) and would probably be advising them on balance gameplay issues, and I love the history and richness of the Starfire universe as a backdrop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.