Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that any ability has to be performed to the best of my ability.

If I play an Alley Cutpurse, and my opponent one face-down and one face-up potion, do I have to take the face-down potion? It's not possible to flip a potion that's already face-up to the face-up position. But then again, the "flip to face up" is the second half of the card. I would think that it would say "take an opponent's face-down potion" or something similar if I was restricted in which one I could take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Total brain fart. Please see my next reply. Very sorry for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it safe to assume, then, that a given ability has to be taken as a whole rather than in separate parts? For instance, the Cutpurse's ability has two very distinct sentences. "Take one potion from an enemy. Flip it face-up." If the opponent only has face-up potions, then I can do the first part to the best of my ability, but not the second. That's not good enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused by this too.

what happens if he only has face up potions? The first sentence only says to take a potion. So I would guess I could take a face up one, but then I'd fail the next sentence because to the best of my ability I can't flip it face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can take any one of the opposing player's potions (face up or face down), The "flip face up" portion of the text is there to allow the player to actually use the potion, if all the opposing player has is face down potions. Obviously, you'd want to take one of his face up potions if you had the chance, since those are worth more points.

I'm very sorry for any confusion by my previous answer. It's been a hectic couple of days, and I'm still sort of in Tooth & Nail mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So to put this to bed, then:

Is it safe to assume that a given ability only has to be executed "to the best of your ability" a sentence at a time? This is why it's OK to take a face-up potion with the Cutpurse's ability, but it's not OK to use the Crooked Broker guy's ability to just place a marker on a location without removing an opponent's one first.

Or is it even more granular than that? Can I use the Crooked guy's ability to just place a marker on a location that doesn't have an opponent's marker? I mean, if there's no opposing marker, then the best of my ability is to put a marker down without removing on of his, right?

I'm not trying to play semantics. I just wonder if these questions just stem from wording ambiguities on the cards in relation to the "best of your ability" rule. For instance, maybe this wouldn't have been an issue if the Cutpurse ability read something like "Gain control of one of your opponent's Potion cards. If it's face-down, you may flip it face up." I wonder how many iterations the text on cards in Magic have to go through before they're signed off on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, just a fan...but, hoping for UFBRT: Hemloch?
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crooked Broker removes a marker then says to "replace it" with your own. If you don't first remove a marker, there is no it to replace, you're just placing. Both parts of the action fail, whereas the trinket steal succeeds partially.

And no problem, John. Thanks for answering! Always nice to have the designer answering little questions on the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.