Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Axis & Allies» Forums » Variants

Subject: Is there interest in a new rules variant for Axis and Allies, MB Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there still interest in variant rules for Axis and Allies, MB edition?

I had played this game several times before I bought a copy at the FLGS in 2003. The version I got was the only version I was aware of at the time, the Milton Bradley (MB) edition that originally dates to the 1980's. This is still the game I play. I was interested back then, and am still interested, in examining and building variants of that game.

Of course, the Axis and Allies franchise has moved on, with Pacific, Europe, Global (with special rules and special map extensions available online, you could combine Pacific and Europe into a Global game before the advent of Global 1940whistle ), Revised, Anniversary Edition, Pacific 1940, Europe 1940, Global 1940, and now 1941 and 1942, Second Edition.

I have rules that I like to play with on the MB edition, but some of what I have is out-dated: rules for artillery units (added to the game already), rules for cruiser units (ditto), rules for two-hit battleship units and carrier units (added for battleships, but not for carriers) rules for acquiring new technology to fight off the other side (technology has mostly been removed these days), et cetera.

Some of the rules are still something that you can't find without a rule change or expansion of some kind: rules for heavy infantry units, rules for light armored units, rules for airborne infantry / paratrooper units, rules for cargo plane units (instead of wasting my bombers as cargo planes to drop paratroopers into battle, why not just *build my own* cargo planes ), rules for special forces units (and special rules for special uses for special forces (try saying that three times fast... )), et cetera.

All that is needed to play with these rules are the rules and charts I've made up, the MB edition of Axis and Allies (extra pieces come in handy, but aren't strictly needed), and a set of the plastic men, cannons, and horses from Risk, circa 1990's. I bought this at the same time (actually, I bought another set, as I had a set years before, but lost it in moves over the years...) as I bought the MB Axis and Allies, in 2003. While this version of Risk is out-of-print, you can fairly easily acquire a set (or just a set of pieces) on eBay or just use other game pieces to replace the missing men, cannons, and horses.

So, as I asked above, is there still interest in variant rules for Axis and Allies, MB edition? Would people be interested in reading these "new" rules? Or has everybody moved on to the newer version? Should I therefore get with the times, move onto the newer versions myself, and adapt what rules I have to what the game has become today?

What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Grenier ou bedon Grognard
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have almost all the A&A boardgames (sold my Guadalcanal one ) and the new ones of 2012, and I use some of those units to play Global War 1939 now ( I have the 4' x 8' vinyl map ). There are lots of the variants you mentionned in that game, check it out here, unless you know already about it : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113337/global-war-193...

J.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always interested in new variants of great games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah! 'moi' TOO! How about you guys 'delvenly' "peruse" the VARIANT stuff listed already THERE for such and reply INTO here for what you "Like"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Cooper
United States
Albertson
New York
flag msg tools
I have some variants for the old edition on www.axisandallies.wikia.com. Feel free to add your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
. . . Some of the rules are still something that you can't find without a rule change or expansion of some kind: rules for heavy infantry units, rules for light armored units, rules for airborne infantry / paratrooper units, rules for cargo plane units (instead of wasting my bombers as cargo planes to drop paratroopers into battle, why not just *build my own* cargo planes ), rules for special forces units (and special rules for special uses for special forces (try saying that three times fast... )), et cetera.

I'm just curious: What do heavy infantry and light armored units represent? Are there real WW2 examples, or is this a What If type of idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
. . . Some of the rules are still something that you can't find without a rule change or expansion of some kind: rules for heavy infantry units, rules for light armored units, rules for airborne infantry / paratrooper units, rules for cargo plane units (instead of wasting my bombers as cargo planes to drop paratroopers into battle, why not just *build my own* cargo planes ), rules for special forces units (and special rules for special uses for special forces (try saying that three times fast... )), et cetera.

I'm just curious: What do heavy infantry and light armored units represent? Are there real WW2 examples, or is this a What If type of idea?

What do I mean by heavy infantry and light armored units? Good question!

By Heavy Infantry units, I mean US Marine infantry, Japanese Special Naval Landing Force infantry, Soviet Guards Infantry, that kind of unit. Elite, usually veteran formations of infantry that attack and defend better than regular infantry. Additionally, these units can be stuffed into transports as if infantry, but have an attack of 2 (an attack they keep full time), which can be increased to a 3 with help from Artillery. I refer to them in my variant rules as Troopers. Mechanically, they have 2 attack (3 when supported by Artillery), 3 defend, 1 move, and cost 5 IPC. They obey regular infantry rules, with the exception that Troopers can't catch a ride with tanks into battle (which regular infantry can do in my variant rules).

By Light Armored units, I am referring to just that, light armored units. Panzer I http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_I tanks were meant to be used for training only, as they had almost no armor and were armed with two machine guns. These tanks were used as a part of the armored forces that the German Army used to overtake Poland and France. Light tanks were in use by most sides of World War II, usually as scouts for formations with more punch but less speed. I refer to them in my variant rules as Armored Cavalry. They also provide a cheaper two-move unit that can keep up with tanks and help absorb damage for them. Additionally, when they are defending, they can retreat to another, friendly territory to live to fight another day. Mechanically, they have 2 attack, 1 defend (and their retreat ability), 2 move, and cost 4 IPC. They obey regular tanks rules, with the exception of their retreat ability, explained above.

While I do sincerely believe that there were units in WWII that match the idea of these units, they also provide for some balancing of units. By that, I mean that the base game has for ground units a good, cheap defender (Infantry) and a great, mobile attacker that cost more but doesn't defend any better than infantry (Tanks). To that mix, I add these units which add a great defender to help steady the defense of crucial territory (Troopers) and a unit that can keep up with the Tanks without costing as much (Armored Cavalry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Yeah! 'moi' TOO! How about you guys 'delvenly' "peruse" the VARIANT stuff listed already THERE for such and reply INTO here for what you "Like"?

I am not certain what you mean by that question, but my question is simple: "Does anybody still care about or have interest in variant rules for the "old" version of Axis and Allies?"

I have such a thing (a set of home-made, variant rules for the "old" version of Axis and Allies) and I wonder if I should: a) learn how to post them here (or elsewhere) and do so or b) Get a copy of some of the new versions (1941, 1942 Second Edition, etc...), learn to play these games and then adapt my variant rules to the new before posting them up.

While I am proud of what I have done, if nobody has interest in learning and playing by these rules, what good does it do to post rules that nobody is interested in?

Maybe I'm just over-thinking things but I am trying to be respectful as I haven't been a member of this website for very long. (Long time lurker, first time poster, you might say.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
spccbn wrote:
Hi,

I have almost all the A&A boardgames (sold my Guadalcanal one ) and the new ones of 2012, and I use some of those units to play Global War 1939 now ( I have the 4' x 8' vinyl map ). There are lots of the variants you mentionned in that game, check it out here, unless you know already about it : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113337/global-war-193...

J.cool

Thanks for the shout-out about Global War 1939. It reminds me of Xeno's World at War, which I have good memories of playing back in 1996.

The variant I came up with isn't quite as involved but I would love to try my hand at either of those as well, if I had a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
midnight_reaper wrote:
I am not certain what you mean by that question, but my question is simple: "Does anybody still care about or have interest in variant rules for the "old" version of Axis and Allies?"
Well, for 'starters', then just the ONES of which I'd already provided? READ "perusively" about these, as many even manufacted newest additional pieces added into this also. I'm NOT their "resident expert" here, while having played probably dozens of ways STILL that you or the majority have yet encountered.
midnight_reaper wrote:
I have such a thing (a set of home-made, variant rules for the "old" version of Axis and Allies) and I wonder if I should: a) learn how to post them here (or elsewhere) and do so or b) Get a copy of some of the new versions (1941, 1942 Second Edition, etc...), learn to play these games and then adapt my variant rules to the new before posting them up.
Sure, as we have too for when we produced 4 EXTRA TECH TABLES of 'stuff', along with the 2 extant at the times. You would roll a 1 for the TABLE first, and then roll again for your "Tech" off from this.
midnight_reaper wrote:
While I am proud of what I have done, if nobody has interest in learning and playing by these rules, what good does it do to post rules that nobody is interested in?

Maybe I'm just over-thinking things but I am trying to be respectful as I haven't been a member of this website for very long. (Long time lurker, first time poster, you might say.)
surprise oh, I KNOW! You see, they wanted the add-ons pieces and none were currently being made available. If you locate upon "PewterCraft" for theirs, THAT will give you a general overview about plenty. Hell, I'm making my OWN 'designs' also, while it is more time consuming when you required 100s of EACH at the moment.

I shall concur with you about the Heavy Infantry, although they are more commonly referred to as: "Elites"
"Heavy" denotation inferred larger aspects overall, in this instance for their weaponry, assets attachment, specialized accouterments, etc. and with vehicles/vessels/aircraft having upgrades, enhanced ability, so on.

Yes, "Light Tanks" were taking the place of Armored Cars due with their better 'cross-country' behaviours. A couple of participants even affixed 'glider' attachments onto this for a few or slung them underwing onto a large Bomber, and others had ones small enough to fit within a 'glider'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
Well, for 'starters', then just the ONES of which I'd already provided? READ "perusively" about these, as many even manufacted newest additional pieces added into this also. I'm NOT their "resident expert" here, while having played probably dozens of ways STILL that you or the majority have yet encountered.
modestAh! The light comes on. I was misunderstanding your colorful commentary, I think that I understand what you were saying now. I'll put you into the "well, let's see what you got" column

GROGnads wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
Sure, as we have too for when we produced 4 EXTRA TECH TABLES of 'stuff', along with the 2 extant at the times. You would roll a 1 for the TABLE first, and then roll again for your "Tech" off from this.
I have a technology rule set included with my variant rules. This includes a "directed research" system where you can just get what you want, but have to spend turns (2-4 of them, selected via dice roll) paying to fund the research to get what you want and the best stuff (such as heavy bombers) requires researching other technology first.

GROGnads wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:

surprise oh, I KNOW! You see, they wanted the add-ons pieces and none were currently being made available. If you locate upon "PewterCraft" for theirs, THAT will give you a general overview about plenty. Hell, I'm making my OWN 'designs' also, while it is more time consuming when you required 100s of EACH at the moment.
These are more "add-on rules" in my opinion than "toss in some more pieces", not that I am neglecting that aspect. While some of my desire to make these rules was along the lines of: "The real war had this, why not add this to the game based on the war?", a lot of it was: "I think this would make the game more fun for me to play". Turning it up to 11, in my own way.

GROGnads wrote:
I shall concur with you about the Heavy Infantry, although they are more commonly referred to as: "Elites"
"Heavy" denotation inferred larger aspects overall, in this instance for their weaponry, assets attachment, specialized accouterments, etc. and with vehicles/vessels/aircraft having upgrades, enhanced ability, so on.
I spent about 11 years in the US Army, and the terminology of the Army colors my thinking about military units. I think that where there's Light Infantry (Infantry), Light Armor (Armored Cavalry), and Heavy Armor (Tanks), then certainly there would be a place for Heavy Infantry (Troopers). While the US Army's Heavy Infantry are the Mechanized Infantry, a World War II heavy infantry unit wouldn't necessarily be mechanized, the US Army's Armored Infantry Regiments in World War II not to be forgotten.

Mind you, the rules refer to them as Troopers, and calling the three ground-pounding units Infantry, Para-infantry (for Airborne Infantry / Paratroopers), and Troopers shouldn't cause too much confusion in my opinion. "What are Troopers?" "Infantry units that attack and defend 1 better, but cost as much as a Tank."

GROGnads wrote:
Yes, "Light Tanks" were taking the place of Armored Cars due with their better 'cross-country' behaviours. A couple of participants even affixed 'glider' attachments onto this for a few or slung them underwing onto a large Bomber, and others had ones small enough to fit within a 'glider'.
Actually, I would like to expand these rules. Included in my plans are rules to allow for the Cargo planes already in the variant rules to expand in capacity, similar to common tech rule variants that make for "super transports" that carry more units. Imagine Airborne Armored Cavalry falling from the Heavens to assault your position...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Imagine Airborne Armored Cavalry falling from the Heavens to assault your position...surprise
Yes, while my 'opponents' in Blitzkrieg KNOW of just such an 'experience', thanks mainly in WHOLE due to this 'happening' to them too; from: 'moi'! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
midnight_reaper wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
Well, for 'starters', then just the ONES of which I'd already provided? READ "perusively" about these, as many even manufactured newest additional pieces added into this also. I'm NOT their "resident expert" here, while having played probably dozens of ways STILL that you or the majority have yet encountered.
midnight_reaper wrote:
modestAh! The light comes on. I was misunderstanding your colorful commentary, I think that I understand what you were saying now. I'll put you into the "well, let's see what you got" column

midnight_reaper wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
I have a technology rule set included with my variant rules. This includes a "directed research" system where you can just get what you want, but have to spend turns (2-4 of them, selected via dice roll) paying to fund the research to get what you want and the best stuff (such as heavy bombers) requires researching other technology first.
midnight_reaper wrote:

GROGnads wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
These are more "add-on rules" in my opinion than "toss in some more pieces", not that I am neglecting that aspect. While some of my desire to make these rules was along the lines of: "The real war had this, why not add this to the game based on the war?", a lot of it was: "I think this would make the game more fun for me to play". Turning it up to 11, in my own way.
GROGnads wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
I spent about 11 years in the US Army, and the terminology of the Army colors my thinking about military units. I think that where there's Light Infantry (Infantry), Light Armor (Armored Cavalry), and Heavy Armor (Tanks), then certainly there would be a place for Heavy Infantry (Troopers). While the US Army's Heavy Infantry are the Mechanized Infantry, a World War II heavy infantry unit wouldn't necessarily be mechanized, the US Army's Armored Infantry Regiments in World War II not to be forgotten.

Mind you, the rules refer to them as Troopers, and calling the three ground-pounding units Infantry, Para-infantry (for Airborne Infantry / Paratroopers), and Troopers shouldn't cause too much confusion in my opinion. "What are Troopers?" "Infantry units that attack and defend 1 better, but cost as much as a Tank."
GROGnads wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:
Actually, I would like to expand these rules. Included in my plans are rules to allow for the Cargo planes already in the variant rules to expand in capacity, similar to common tech rule variants that make for "super transports" that carry more units. Imagine Airborne Armored Cavalry falling from the Heavens to assault your position...surprise
Now, I'm also keen with providing some expanded 'layer' through "Battles" for the more 'protracted' ONES. Using a single page print-out MAP, and multiples as required, then something along the lines of "Panzer Generally" to aid for introducing their 'basys' overall. Here is a *Special* on Micro-Tanks YW while their SHIPS of WW2 of 1:4800 'scale' were around the proper-perspective SIZES in relation to one another even as per the A&A ones. Other companies have begun to expand for yet plenty more assortments, so how about someone ALSO locating these?
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here is something most recent of which I'd 'created' to dwell upon, at least SOME, eh? Modular Fortress System What about anyone else here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if anyone is still paying attention to this old thread, I finally posted my ideas for perusal and critique. Look for Midnight_Reaper's House Rules for Axis & Allies Classic - Discussion List and you shall find what I've come up with.

-Midnight_Reaper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.