BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game of Thrones 2nd Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Schref
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
First, I'd like to say this is my first post and I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Anyway, I am a big ASOIAF fan and when I saw this board game, I immediately wanted it. Before I bought it I thought I should ask some questions.

1. I don't have a big board game group, so we won't be playing a ton. Is this a game people always want to come back to or is it a game only if you're really in the mood to play it.

2. I've heard that are some balancing issues with the game. Is it as one sided as people say and if it is, is there an easy way around it to fix the problems?

3. This is probably the most important question. Is this game good with only three people? I will be playing with 5 once in a while, but if this game isn't good with 3 people then it probably isn't worth buying.

4. How long do games actually last? I've heard people claim they have played 8-10 hour games. I'm all for long games, but 8-10 is a little too much. My friends and I could deal with 3-5 hour games.

5. Add any thoughts about the game you think are important and whether or not you think it's worth the money.

Thanks a lot guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it a few times now, with various size groups (four being the smallest), and I'm a huge fan of the game and the series so I'm biased. My thoughts:

1)Most of the people I've played with would gladly play it again, however fandom of ASOIAF is a major plus, and the game is a time commitment (2-5 hours). I've played every house but Lannister and that alone would bring me back, as each house has a different strategy.

2)I haven't seen any major balance issues in the six player game. The issues arise with Baratheon with fewer players, as the recommended neutrals are Greyjoy/Tyrell/Martell with 3/4/5 players, leaving a ton of open space for Baratheon to go south and take.

3)I've never played with three, but you can probably house rule it and make things more exciting and risky. An idea with three would be to buy Battles of Westeros and the new House Baratheon expansion which, from reading the box (haven't played the latter yet though it's on my shelf) allows epic battles with more than two people.

4)Two to five hours in my cases, most around four, including about a half hour of rules explanation.

5)It's a great game if you have a good group. There's a lot of whiny bitch posts in the forum about people that got upset when others followed through on promises they made to each other, or people who got butt hurt when alliances were broken and they were backstabbed, and there's a chance you will get picked on, a lot (I even eliminated a Baratheon player once and kind of felt horrible). As a huge fan of everything ASOIAF I love it and will play it any chance I get. I'm also geeked about the new expansion "A Dance with Dragons" that adds new house cards and starting positions based upon how Westeros is during the fifth book.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second all that John said.

Posting these sort of questions should go to the "General" section of that games forum pages:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103343/a-game-of-thrones-...

Browse through there and some of the other sections in that forum, I'm sure you will find more opinions than you care to read.

Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy James wrote:

What is ASOIAF?

A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the series of epic fantasy novels by George R. R. Martin. A Game of Thrones is the first novel of the series, on which the board game is based on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
ASOIAF = A Song of Ice and Fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game. I recently played my first 6 player game and we had a great time. Took about 4 hours. We had 2 new players and one other who had played it once. I have played with 5, 4 and 3. 6 player is by far the best way.
As i type this, I am playing a solo 6 player game in my basement. While not as fun as it is with human opponents, I am enjoying the experience and learning how each house works.

I say buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.