Hide
7 Posts

Tooth & Nail: Factions» Forums » Rules

Subject: End-game Condition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bixy b\\\'londe
msg tools
I played T&N:F for the first time the other night and there was some confusion about the end-game (or maybe there wasn't). Cards end up in several locations during play:

- Command zone
- War zone
- Hand
- Faction deck
- Discard pile
- "Removed from game"

The rules state that the game ends when "a player has no cards remaining in his deck". We read this to mean when the last card is removed from the faction deck. Is this correct? So, regardless of the number cards in the remaining locations (i.e., hand, command and war zones, and discard pile), the now-empty faction deck signifies the end of the game? The game seemed awfully quick, so we thought maybe we missed something (I know that it's supposed to be fast). I actually lost because I had a single card in my deck at the end of my opponent's turn. So at the beginning of my turn, I had to draw 1 card which ended things on an odd note. So maybe that's why we thought we had screwed something up.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Yep, that's about right. I've had a few games end on my start-of-turn draw as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the end of the deck is the end of the game. I guess the best you can do a little ahead of time is try to get rid of the opponent's charged war zone troops, somehow add cards to your deck or go out fighting and throw everything you have at him and hope for the best.

I guess the options are kind of dependent on the faction you play and their abilities to affect either your opponents zones or maybe being able to add to your deck somehow. There are times too when I look for a different way than do draw from my deck at a certain point of the game unless I have to. If there's a different way to affect the opponent w/o having to draw more cards than are necessary, then I try to find it and conserve my deck, because like was mentioned in the OP, all those other cards don't mean squat when your deck runs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bixy b\\\'londe
msg tools
Ok. So at least we weren't too far off. When I read the rules online, I guess I had the idea that you would cycle through your deck multiple times (as in standard deck-builders) and your deck would slowly be whittled down, leaving you fewer and fewer options as the game progressed. But this is much more like a super-compressed version of a deck-builder or even a game like draw poker (the one where you get to discard part of your hand and get new cards). Now that I know we're on the right track, I'm excited to play more. Seems like we could blow through several games in a session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The standard game is pretty quick (I don't think it's "too" quick; it felt/feels right for the number of different troops and options that the standard game offers). Alliance & Menagerie games are longer, if that's what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught my nephew the game and we played 3 games in a session, and not even a very long session. We drew new factions from the box each time and all 6 standard factions got used.

While the game does play quick, I felt that you have plenty of decisions to make and options available to make it interesting and fun. It's not "just a quick game" it's a relatively quick game with some meat to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bixy b\\\'londe
msg tools
> I don't think it's "too" quick

I didn't mean to imply that. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that a game like this can be played in such a manageable time period. I look forward to playing the standard game a bunch more and I'll definitely be interested to try the other variants as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.