16 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scenario 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Hardin
msg tools
designer
I've played the first scenario about 4 times and each time I got over-ran by zombies and got my group stuck in an impossible fight, this was both solo and in a group. I finally decided I was going to try something new. I brought Wanda and Josh into my group of 4 (solo) and broke open both doors of the starting room right off. I then had everyone search once and sent Wanda out with an axe.

I sent Wanda to every door I could get her to and had her break them open, the ones she couldn't reach I had Josh open. In a matter of turns I had every objective room open and no objectives taken.

I then split my team up, having each one standing on an objective and one making a lot of noise, who happened to also be standing on his own objective. The next turn every character picked up their objective and all the characters left blue at almost the same time. I lost 2 of the 4.

Summed up: Wanda and Josh must have. Break open all the doors to the buildings with objectives asap. Try to kill as few zombies as possible to stay in blue until everyone can pick up an objective relatively close to the same time. Never be in groups of more than 2.

Note: I'm not sure how solid this plan is, but it's the best I've found. Josh had somehow managed to collect all the required items himself, so I didn't even bother killing but maybe 2 zombies with him the whole game and left him in hiding. If the items were spread out among characters this might have been a completely different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We could only beat the game when we had 3 players with 6 survivors.

It took 3 games. We drew the Abomination on turn 1 for the first two games.

On the 3rd game (last night), we drew the Abomination on turn 3.

In the party, we had Dave, Wanda, Nick, Ned, Amy and Josh. Josh, Wanda and Dave are a must-have for every party.

The party moved en masse away from the exit toward the top half of the board.

We searched managed to get a dual-wield saw-off shot gun, rifle with scope and all the parts for the molotov. Dave made a double molotov and we killed the abomination. We moved to the second half of the board. Pulled another abomination. Heroes were in orange-zone. And they were slowly getting pecked away. But with Wanda her 2 moves per move action, she skated away to victory. We killed the 2nd Abomination just for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried scenario 1 a total of 3 times so far. The first 2 times were solo and 4 player, and I got crushed both times. I played another game today, and I used 6 survivors playing solo. Except for one turn where I thought I was completely screwed (the turn I hit yellow I drew both the manhole card and an extra runner turn), I found the scenario fairly easy. I had 2 abominations running around, and I eventually killed one of them because he was getting annoying. I didn't need to by any stretch, but he was starting to get in the way.

I agree that Wanda and Josh help with opening up buildings, and that staying in blue while you open most of the buildings is essential. Spawning a few walkers isn't a big deal, but multiple extra zombie turns is lethal.

I plan to try again with 4 survivors sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also lost three time solo with 4 survivors and then make the jump to 6 survivors. I finally won. As others have said, you want to open the doors while your experience is still low. I also have found that it is much better to charge into melee than simply stay put and blast away with range weapons. While you may kill a lot of zombies, you also end up getting stuck in one place against an ever increasing horde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rainey
United States
Cookeville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
patox wrote:

In the party, we had Dave, Wanda, Nick, Ned, Amy and Josh. Josh, Wanda and Dave are a must-have for every party.

This is the exact party we used to beat the map with 2 players except we used Doug instead of Nick. I have to say it's definitely one of the stronger parties and I completely agree about Wanda/Dave/Josh and possibly Amy as being mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how everyone thought initially El Cholo was the overpowered one because of his starting machetes. And yet he's on nobody's list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack J.

Michigan
msg tools
I think play style has a lot to do with it.

For me, when I played El Cholo has was a zombie killing machine. But when I got with my friends El Cholo didn't do much,. The MVP was Nick. Dude stood a lone and held off hordes....Toughness is a pretty cool thing. Nick can hold the line by himself. Get him two pistols and its on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Loophole Master wrote:
Funny how everyone thought initially El Cholo was the overpowered one because of his starting machetes. And yet he's on nobody's list.

People underestimated slippery. It is the best special power in the game as far as I'm concerned. El Cholo is pretty good, but being melee focused means he struggles to get XP unless you put him in situations that get him in trouble. On the flip side, he's an amazing body guard as long as he can get to yellow.

Personally, the two duds in my book are Phil and Doug. Doug can get lucky and pull a sawed off and be amazing at times, but most of the time he's pulling rice or a bat or something and then he's like everyone else down a power. Generally there's enough early searching and trading that pairs of weapons aren't terribly rare. Phil's starting power grants the underwhelming pistol, which even traded for the starter pistol is something you're quickly looking to upgrade.

I think both would be more interesting if one of their red powers were a choice at orange. Phil with Born Leader and Doug with Ambidextrous would make them a lot more special. Since the game doesn't last long at red level, characters really rely on their blue/orange powers to make them stand out and when your blue is a dud, its easy to be a pretty generic character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Booth
New Zealand
flag msg tools
We beat this second time round (I tried to solo it and made the mistake of lvling to fast the first time)

In general taking the time to search a bunch at the start to get the weapons you need is well worth it in the long run.

I found Ned and Doug to be a great team, with rifle and SMGs.

I like El Cholo, he's a good one to start with to take care of fatties and if you go to Red, Abominations. Probably a lot better in Switch City when you start on red too, but he's also the survivor I'll sacrifice to let others get away.

I've found josh to be pretty useless in all my games so far, but he's also been unlucky with weapon finds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Blake
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this scenario twice, and I won both times. I've explained this a bit in here.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10110243#10110243

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MÃ¥rten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it yesterday and won.
What I did was simply just search for like 4 turns and got SMG, 2 chainsaws and a shotgun and some other stuff.
Even though this is pretty cheesy, this scenario is hard with 4 survivors so it's kinda needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
After some confirmation that this is right....

Lets say all we do is stay inside the central building and search search search until two molotovs have been formed and everyone has a perfect inventory of weapons and the required food and water items, and we've run out of all types of zombies, so no more can be spawned and thus extra activations are always happening.

If we do this will the map be completely empty of zombies APART from the two zones North and South of the central buildings, where there are two bigass bunches of them gathered by the two closed doors ?

My idea being: then we can, during the next players' phase open the doors, molotov the two zones and go out to collect objectives with the best tooled up team possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zwixxx wrote:
After some confirmation that this is right....

Lets say all we do is stay inside the central building and search search search until two molotovs have been formed and everyone has a perfect inventory of weapons and the required food and water items, and we've run out of all types of zombies, so no more can be spawned and thus extra activations are always happening.

If we do this will the map be completely empty of zombies APART from the two zones North and South of the central buildings, where there are two bigass bunches of them gathered by the two closed doors ?

My idea being: then we can, during the next players' phase open the doors, molotov the two zones and go out to collect objectives with the best tooled up team possible.

Yes, you could do that.

Four things that you might want to consider:

1. You'll end up with one or two Survivors in Orange or Red and every one else still on 0xp (and even if you allow other Survivors to do some killing first, they're unlikely to make it past Yellow).

2. Do you really want to be opening that top big building, and spawning all the rooms in it, whilst you're in Orange, or Red?

3. I've not worked it out, but it'll take quite a few turns before everything that can spawn at Blue has spawned, and made their ways to the doors.

4. Is that really how you want to play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Yes, you could do that.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Four things that you might want to consider:
1. You'll end up with one or two Survivors in Orange or Red and every one else still on 0xp (and even if you allow other Survivors to do some killing first, they're unlikely to make it past Yellow).
defn need to carefully select which two do the molotoving and give the others a cracking set of weapons.
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
2. Do you really want to be opening that top big building, and spawning all the rooms in it, whilst you're in Orange, or Red?
darn it yuk, you've pointed out the major flaw in my cunning plan - though Wendy with her slippery and double chainsaws and using her last action to hand them over to the new person, who then hands them on as their last action etc etc might do the trick.
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
3. I've not worked it out, but it'll take quite a few turns before everything that can spawn at Blue has spawned, and made their ways to the doors.

so I'd need a big pot of coffee, right ?!
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
4. Is that really how you want to play the game?
If it gets me a win then possibly arrrh. Once I've beaten the mission that way I can use anything I've learned to beat it using 'normal' playing methods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
Think I've got it licked.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Stayed put for 3 rounds just searching to tool people up, opened bottom buildings whilst all blue zoned (as EVERYONE above suggests-keeping a watch on peoples kill number), then give the 3 food stuffs to Wanda + chainsaw, get her into orange so slippery (having her take the [x]'s helps), then whilst the rest kill kill kill, Wanda sneaks up top for the final 3 objectives (opening the doors and hiding for a turn or two to allow the zombies inside to leave or at least exit the rooms with the objectives). My final turn had everyone dead apart from Wanda in the top right room, newly in the red and +1 zone per move, and was able to get to the exit and win that turn. (11 zone moves in one go for the win!!!)
(ok I didn't do the splitting thing but I'm chalking this up as a win anyway. )

btw: how did it take me this long to realize that when you're all blue zoned there are no ZOMBIES GET AN EXTRA TURN happenings. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serial MoM
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the scenario today with 6 survivors and berserker, zombie dogs and toxic zombies.

I took Ross, Mike, Smith, El Padre, Angry Mary, and The Dude.

With those survivors it was a piece of cake.

Abdomination? Thanks to ElPadre no issue. Ross? Wow he is so cheesy with his blue +1 die range skill, Angry Mary: Reaper range with sniper rifle and scope? Fantastic. Mike starting with a chainsaw is awesome, but feels like betrayal.

I need to take the scenario with 4 suvivors. I do not want to exclude all teh special zombies, becaus they make this scenario interesting. May be easier becaus you do not run out of zombies, but berserker runenr and zombie dogs are pain in the a.. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.