Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Zombies! or even heard of em.
I wonder how can you expect anything else from a game if you've already readed it's rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the demo today and even though I like that sort of game it didn't really capture my interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
I haven't played the game, but, honestly, I don't see how they could have a strong resemblance.

Basic Zombie game steps (from many years of play): Draw a tile, spawn zombies, move your fig, shoot zombies/play cards and roll dice, pick up hearts or bullets and perhaps some more cards, and then opponents move the zombies.

Basic Level 7 game steps (from what I've read): Draw a tile, move your fig, draw an event card, spawn enemies, resolve an event, move enemies, shoot enemies/play cards and roll dice.

Add in the fear factor for L7, where aliens are sniffing out your adrenaline-induced super powers and it doesn't seem that it would be the same at all. I imagine that they would feel different. The individual steps that both games have are hardly unique and are used by a ton of games, shuffled all manner of ways. Off the top of my head, Gears of War and Clautrophobia.

But, you know, what feels the same to you might not to someone else. I'd like a second and third opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
Compare it to zombies!!! seems a little bit reductive for level 7... that for me it's a damn good game!

Anyway here some impression from famous youtuber from Gen Con 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhhkRpLKZE4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
It could have been that we just played the intro scenario, but it didn't do much for me either. Also, for some reason, not one alien spawned the whole game. I doubt that is typical, but it didn't make for a very interesting game. I'd try it again with another scenario, the item cards, and the more advanced enemies, but it's not on my "buy list".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
I'm always iffy of demo games. They're always skinless, hairless, and vapid. It's like the depth of the game is purposely leeched out so that the components hang out there on stage--the troupe, knowing that they're short a few leads. If you're running the demo, though, it does tend to speed things along, I suppose.

That's one reason that I like my Ameritrash, I suppose. Bereft of initial depth, I can enjoy the shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Hernandez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it at the Con. Feels like a lighter version of Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Kind of disappointed, since it also feels like a rip off.
The game feels incomplete. Needs more event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it bought it liked it. Nothing like zombies period unless you are talking in the abstraction of dice, cards, and figures. You don't screw your neighbors, aliens can attack guards at certain points and then guards and aliens fight; sliding scale of fear hit points; and a rapid lock down ending. The demo intro game is just that a demo game, it is like judging a meal from the costco free sample food.

Do I think this is the game of the year? Nope. Do I think it needs fixing...you make this statement from a demo....wow! I think it is fine and plays like it was meant to but is it for everyone...nope but some people on BGG have expectations based on art work alone. I highly recommend the game to people who like beer and pretzels ameritrash fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle C
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ah eee hah!
badge
YUB NUB!
mbmbmbmbmb
magnoguido wrote:
I played it at the Con. Feels like a lighter version of Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Kind of disappointed, since it also feels like a rip off.
The game feels incomplete. Needs more event cards.

Yeah, strong agreement here. I sat down with the demo halfway to cracking my wallet and left profoundly disappointed. It's like they played Betrayal and said "huh, it must be the room tiles that make this game so fun!" BaHotH, for all its (many) problems, has an essential sense of manic fun that just isn't present in L7E.

It didn't help that I started my demo with "I really like BaHotH; tell me why I'll like this too" and the demo-runner's reaction suggested that I'd broached the white elephant topic that he'd been dreading all day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Conversely, I enjoyed the demo a lot.

Only half of the cards were included according to the employee running the demo, so I figured there would be more variety in the end.

I liked how you could use the adrenaline cards to either help yourself/others or hurt them. I liked the fear mechanic, which adds a very cool resource to the game to manage. I love the way the theme is made up, where the guards go after the player(s) with the most threat and stunning one allows you to quickly pocket one of their items.

That said, I am one of the people who purchased Panic Station. And I hated it. It looked like there was some kind of explore/screw your opponents game in there, but it just came off wrong. I feel the Level 7 does a far better job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy on a lark Saturday. I then tried a brief demo. I wish I'd been smart and done that in the opposite order as I discovered that it played out less like Space Hulk and more like the aforementioned Betrayal...a game I really don't like in spite of the numerous accolades it receives.

I won't write it off as a loss just yet though. There have been a few times I've grown to love a game after a few plays after taking a dislike to it during an initial session. At least with Level 7 I can get in a few games solo before making a final decision about its fate with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules, and tried to play a game while sleep deprived. I think I have worked out the following:

1. It might be really good. There are some bits in the design that are quite clever indeed.

2. The game wants for an expanded rules summary. There are just a few too many modifiers in play to remember, and they aren't in the summary on the back of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone doesn't like their copy, maybe we could work something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Zombies, but I will say it's very much like Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

I purchased it rather impulsively based off the fact it is very similar to Betrayal.

I got to play the first two scenarios Sunday. Play the second scenario before forming a conclusion on the game. It's a lot more involved and challenging than the first. In fact, after playing the first and thinking this was just a short game, we played the second scenario right after. The first lasted no more than 30 minutes, the second took us about 3 hours. Granted, we were still learning the rules.

We thought we were goners for sure! But everyone ended up surviving that encounter.

I guess, I played this game expecting a similar experience as Betrayal, and that's what I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only problem with Betrayal was that the exploration phase of the game seemed like a waste of time. You rarely found anything worth using for the final battle. I'm hoping that Level 7 doesn't give me that same hour of two of nothing culminating in a brief bit of coolness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
My only problem with Betrayal was that the exploration phase of the game seemed like a waste of time. You rarely found anything worth using for the final battle. I'm hoping that Level 7 doesn't give me that same hour of two of nothing culminating in a brief bit of coolness.

Yeah, I agree that sometimes exploration felt like a waste of time in Betrayal. The items you find in Level 7 are a lot more relevant. Or at least the few I saw in the second scenario. I got a medical kit and a stun stick. The medical kit was a one time use and was handy, but the stun stick was a lifesaver. Someone else found a flashlight, that is useful for controlling your fear while traveling in the vents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:

Yea I found this part of Betrayal very annoying. It was like "What am I doing in this mansion? Oh gee, I'll just walk around for a while and see what happens." Then you find out the whole story later. Seemed kind of backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing Level 7 to Zombies! is a serious insult. Despite everyone's complaint that it has cardboard stand-ups instead of figures, this is actually a developed title rather than a hastily pieced-together, random mess with an overabundance of worthless expansions.

There are some really interesting mechanics going on in Level 7 (especially regulating players' levels of fear), and for all the info packed onto the cards, there are multiple ways things can interact with one another. The AI system for the enemies is so clear-cut to the point that it doesn't require anyone to play the role of GM nor does it give anyone the ability to purposefully target other players. For scenarios in which a particular room needs to be found, the "peeking" rule allows a way to discover it sooner rather than having to stumble around aimlessly until it's randomly drawn (read: heliport). And the fact that none of the scenarios have completely fixed layouts is a big plus in the replayability department.

The ad on the back of the Gen Con event book drew me to the Privateer Press booth in the first place; the demo guy was really personable and presented the game well, and so I was proud to support it. While I've only tried a few rounds myself, I've enjoyed the game so far and I'm certainly not regretting my purchase. Just like I'm not regretting having sold off Zombies! a long time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Comparing Level 7 to Zombies! is a serious insult

you explained perfectly what i thinked about this game... i agree totally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to hear that about the game. Maybe if they had spent more time on the game instead of the kick ass video, but then you never know.

Who would have thought Spartacus was going to be the hidden gem of Gencon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anyone saying the game is terrible beyond the initial poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I opted to pass on the Demo at GenCon because they were only having you play through one turn. Playing through a single turn, really doesn't give you the feel of the game, nor should it really constitute as a 'demo'. In a nut shell, they said, here is basically how the game works, we're way to swamped with people to really show you through the game, but we hope you can get a glimpse of what's happening and make a decision.

I sat down last night and played the first level solo. Was it thrilling? No. Was it bad by any means? No. The first scenario is meant to just give you a basic introduction to some of the mechanics in the game. You don't use items, you have the 'peek' rule in effect and I was able to grab the tile I needed on my first roll. I think as you get more involved with the levels you'll get a better grasp of what the game is capable of.

All of that being said, I think that a 'player aid' of some sort must be created. I found myself going through the rule book often while going through the first scenario to ensure that everything was playing out ok.

Overall, I think with 4 people this is going to be a hit with our gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
I don't see anyone saying the game is terrible beyond the initial poster.

You should read more carefully. There are quite a few who say they were disappointed with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think disappointed and terrible constitute different things completely.

I can think a game is disappointing compared to expectations while still quite enjoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.