Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Bockerstette
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately, I just haven't been interested in too many of the new board games coming out. I've been able to talk myself out of buying the precious few games that catch my eye. This never happened before. Is anyone else going through the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe_Bockerstette wrote:
Lately, I just haven't been interested in too many of the new board games coming out. I've been able to talk myself out of buying the precious few games that catch my eye. This never happened before. Is anyone else going through the same?

Been there. Done that. Didn't last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It lasts about five months...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mfaulk80 wrote:

I've been there for almost 4 years now. So far my interest list for this year's Essen is 5 games, of which I expect only one will be even mildly interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with lordrahvin. I go through that now and again. What eventually happens, is you lose interest in something you have. That opens the door up to something new. I think its a good place to be. Take some time with your games. Learn them. If they get to a point where its no longer interesting, it will be interesting for someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been at that point for about a year now. I still keep up with expansions for games I like but few new games enter my collection and lots of older games are leaving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everybody is an addict. My collection is about 200 games now, and I now buy maybe 5 new games per year. I think that mechanics-wise, there is not much innovation, and theme-wise, we are flooded with pirates, zombies, shipping, and building. I can still be enthusiastic about new games and enjoy playing them, but most of the time I think: "I already own a pretty similar game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Joe_Bockerstette wrote:

Copy that. What Mathue said. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same. I got a couple preorders that I had been waiting for, but otherwise this year has seen more purge than binge for me. I feel like plumbing the depths of some of last year's purchases (at least everything's out of shrink now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Not everybody is an addict. My collection is about 200 games now, and I now buy maybe 5 new games per year. I think that mechanics-wise, there is not much innovation, and theme-wise, we are flooded with pirates, zombies, shipping, and building. I can still be enthusiastic about new games and enjoy playing them, but most of the time I think: "I already own a pretty similar game."

after you realize you own a similar game, you can ask yourself whether its worth getting it and trading away the old game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can easily pass up on new games, especially when they are not really "new" games.

My dissatisfaction with my collection comes from the fact there are too many redundant games there - as in they are games that never seem to get played, whatever the reason. The trouble is, I don't want to let many of them go because I actually want to play them at some point!

Even worse, the ones I would like to lose are often games nobody else wants, yet hold enough value (to me at least) that I would rather not dump them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

+1.

"Dude, are you getting Zombie Age?"
"No. It's just a rethemed Stone Age but with Zombies."
"Yeah, but its got zombies dude!"

I'm also find far too many games that take one game, add or change one single mechanic, and call it a different game. This is partly why the Jones theory works. If I want to get something, that new game has to bring something to the table(literally) that I don't have. Mage Wars Arena and Android: Netrunner sold out at GenCon. Netrunner within minutes due to FFG stupidity. I have little desire to own either. Village won an award and yet I have little desire to own it. "But your meeples die dude." Yeah, that totally makes it worth $40+. shake

Base games I have bought from this year: Lords of Waterdeep, gateway worker placement. Mice and Mystics, RPG in board game form. Samurai Battles, miniatures + Samurai and ninjas + Art of Tactic and C&C systems. The Manhattan Project, worker placement that I probably would have gotten over LoW if I had known about it first, but TMP is more confrontational so LoW is a nice sub if need be.

There's only a couple more games I would even deem worth buying and again, they would fill specific roles in my collection. Morels, 2 player game for the ladies. Thunderbolt Apache Leader, get to the choppa. Clash of Cultures since I lack a civ building game, but I'm undecided if that's "the one" to get yet as well. Unless something comes along that amazing me, 2013 will mostly be filling in with older games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmcgillivray wrote:
Can you give us a rundown of your collection and the games you've talked yourself out of?
IT'S A TRAP!

Don't listen to this guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

200 games is objectively large.

I would have a ten game collection, but games my wife likes pushes it out to fifteen.

I'm happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe_Bockerstette wrote:

The same here.
It began at the beginning of 2012 - I cannot pinpoint he exact time or events that lead to it.
Anyway, I'm at about 200 games in my collection (counting expansions, too - excluding expansions about 150 games). There are only a few games in Essen this year I'm interested in, but I'm much more interested in playing my "old" games a bit more and try to find out, if some of these games are better than thought - or maybe not as good as I wish.
Sure, I buy a new game now and then - but the urge to fill my shopping cart with games and even more games is missing - but not missed. ^^

I'm happy with the games I have and I like the feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im very satisfied with my collection, but still - boardgames are my hobby, and this includes following ths market and see what's happening.

I agree with the argument that at a certain point, new games might fire older games - or vice versa. Out of nostalgia I still keep some of the 'fired' ones, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's healthy. Just wait for the really good ones to come along.

Games I am buing this year: Warhammer/Magic which I already play, Axis and Allies which are variants of games I already know I love, Key Flower-- proven designer in my mind . . . A couple GMT games, probably games which have already been printed before so are well documented.

Just not super excited by new things I've seen yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Joe_Bockerstette wrote:

I'm in that mode for about three to four years now. Playing through everything unplayed, and then going to my collection from A to Z cured me of most urges associated with Cult-of-the-New-itis and expansionitis. Looking up the preview for Spiel actively distresses me: there are a few nice things on there, and if they indeed prove to be nice, I'll be more than satisfied already. I'm even looking more forward to the holiday in the Harz region of Germany I scheduled after Spiel, and that is saying something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that I've developped this lust for home-made crap… o.O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Kingdom Builder I don't think I've bought a game brand new this year. And aside from X-Wing I don't see anything on the horizon that I'm likely to be interested in either. What I have been doing is discovering a wealth of recent and not-so recent releases that I missed because I was focussing (and in some cases ultimately being disappointed by) the big releases of the day.

Rallyman, Betrayal at House on the Hill, BattleCon, Button Men, K2, The Resistance, Incan Gold, Friday, Race for the Galaxy, Flashpoint, Mage Knight, Fussballtakik and Mole in the Hole have all found their way onto (and sometimes back out of) my shelves as the year has moved on. What I love about this hobby is that there's so much out there to discover, and I think that I'm actually grateful sometimes that there's not a lot of interesting new releases because that frees up cash to spend discovering and trying out what's already out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
200 games is objectively large.

Oh, I agree, it is. I could easily lose half of them without significant impact. But I think there are definitely about 60 core games which I consider sufficiently different from each other, I play regularly, and would not want to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe YOU have serious problems!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.