Spearpoint 1943: Village and Defensive Line Map Expansion» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Fuller
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've just received the Spearpoint 1943 Village and Defensive Line Map Expansion and my first impression is WOW! The artwork and materials are first class all the way--sharp, clean die-cuts, well thought out and still brief rules, and quick reference cards--even QR barcodes for instant links to the tutorial videos. The included scenarios are icing on the cake.

I was already impressed with the basic card game, Spearpoint 1943. The unit cards and straight-forward rules (one page!) kept it fast-paced and streamlined while the unpredictability and variation introduced by the damage and command cards made every game unique. Another important feature of the basic game is its balance. I could play a standard game or scenario repeatedly and have a different winner every time. This is a big part of why it's so much fun--either side has a fair chance of winning and the outcome is often in doubt right up to the very end.

Adding the map expansion to Spearpoint 1943 turns a fast, fun, minimalist card game (these are good things) into a reasonably fast, fun, and challenging simulation. The improved visual impact of the two-sided map board with the feature tiles that enable every game to have a unique layout significantly enhances the "feel" of the game. Likewise, the addition of line of sight (LOS), movement, and a number of rule tweeks because of these new features have made this game much more "objective based" than the basic game. Even when playing the "standard" game in the expansion, it seems to have more of a point than just accruing 51 of them. The eight included scenarios take this to another level as you march through a sequential and well-written fictional Italian campaign with PFC Andy Migliore.

I experimentally set up some 15mm miniatures on the board as tokens for the unit cards. They looked great on the highly detailed map board and the four inch squares gave them plenty of room to breathe. I'll need to think through the mechanics of tracking damage and other housekeeping with miniatures on the board and cards on the edge but it should work fine if you need an excuse to build and play with a couple of 50 unit armies. In fact, "my" standard reserve decks would only require 20 units per side and I could probably get away with less as one typically has fewer than ten units in play at any one time.

Like the basic game, I think the expansion works just as well for solo play as it does against an opponent. Easy to learn but hard to master, I look forward to spending many hours playing and learning about the Italian campaign.

This is a high quality, well executed and beautifully published game. I encourage anyone interested in playing a fun and absorbing World War II simulation to get a copy of "Spearpoint 1943" and the "Village and Defensive Line Map Expansion".

Many thanks to Byron Collins and all his co-authors, collaborators and play testers for bringing us this latest addition to the Frontline General Spearpoint 1943 series. Additionally, I appreciate the kickstarters, pre-orderers, and other supporters for being "the point of the spear" by taking the plunge and committing to the concept so the rest of us would have an opportunity to enjoy this wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, its in the wild! Thanks for the review.

I preordered mine over a year ago, how did you get your copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the Kickstarter thing for this...haven't seen mine yet, although iirc, they were about to start shipping, according to the last email I got a week or two ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
badge
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered my copy when it was first announced, probably a year or so before kickstarter was popular. Mine came about a month ago. And to boast a little, I got copy 1 out of 50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bill for the great review! Glad you're enjoying both games so far!

Eric, did you preorder through a store? If so, stores will start receiving their copies soon- as we are still in the process of shipping distributor orders.

John, your Tier 2 Kickstarter reward is on it's way- should arrive in a couple days.

Dan, you were in fact the first person to preorder the game. Thanks for your very early support of it! I definitely hope it meets your (and everyone's) expectations from initial concept to published game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.