Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. I'm a BIG fan of FFG. I own and LOVE the Lord of the Rings LCG (own core set, all six Mirkwood Cycle adventure packs, and the first expansion. Getting ready to buy the next six AP and the newest expansion as well). I also own and love Blood Bowl Team Manager. Other ones I own are Rune Age, Mansions of Madness and Age of Conan. I have just made a trade and am acquiring the core set for AGoT, as well as two copies of the Return of the Others AP, and a copy of either the Beyond the Wall or King of the North.

I'm just wondering if that is a good start for this game? A lot of the time, it's just my wife and I playing, and I had heard that this is a great game, but that the core set alone isn't particularly great for just two people. If it's half as good as the LotR LCG, I have no problem purchasing more expansions and AP. But I just wanted to know if the core set, two copies of Return of the Others, and a copy of either Beyond the Wall or King of the North is a really good start? If not, suggestions of which expansions or AP would be good as my first additions? Thanks in adavance! Really looking forward to this game as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many other topics on this. The TL,DR of it is thus:

First, get a second core set. You'll want dupes of a lot of the cards in it, if not triplets of some.

Then, get the big box sets for the houses you like best: Lions of the Rock for Lannister, Kings of the Storm for Baratheon, Queen of Dragons for Targaryen, Lords of Winter for Stark, Princes of the Sun for Martell, Kings of the Sea for Greyjoy. Each offers a lot of staple cards and solid strategies for their respective houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:

First, get a second core set. You'll want dupes of a lot of the cards in it, if not triplets of some.

Then, get the big box sets for the houses you like best: Lions of the Rock for Lannister, Kings of the Storm for Baratheon, Queen of Dragons for Targaryen, Lords of Winter for Stark, Princes of the Sun for Martell, Kings of the Sea for Greyjoy. Each offers a lot of staple cards and solid strategies for their respective houses.

Do you need multiple core sets or is that something to maximize for tourney play? I remember when people were saying that about LOTR:LCG and found out that it was a bunch of crap if you are just a casual player looking to enjoy the game but not going broke to maximize tourney deck builds.

I mean, any of these LCG would really suck if you had to have multiple core sets to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessary if you are just looking to play with your wife. You can have fun with what you have. And you actually DON'T need multiples of a chapter pack (two Return of the Others).

There are many cool cards in the Core Set that it would be nice to have duplicates of (you can have up to 3 of the same card in your deck, and the Core is mostly singles, with very few extra copies).

Try it out. Play with the Core Set for a few times, then add in the Chapter Packs and do the same. Then come back and ask the question again -- you'll probably have some more questions as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Andrew.

I guess my thing is that I'm not sure I'd want to get into another game where I need to drop a couple hundred dollars to really enjoy it, between multiple core sets and all the expansions and adventure packs.

But we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Hahma wrote:

I guess my thing is that I'm not sure I'd want to get into another game where I need to drop a couple hundred dollars to really enjoy it, between multiple core sets and all the expansions and adventure packs.

If you pick up the big box expansions and one core set, you'd have a pretty solid lot for each house. That should run you ~$150 at online retailers. However, if you don't like certain houses (either for thematic or gameplay reasons), you can skip those expansions, which will save you ~$20 each.

Though it's a great game, so you'll probably end up buying more

To OP - it's a decent start, but those chapter packs aren't great first-buys. If you want to play two-player, get the mechanics down with the core set for a game or two while trying out each house. Go in recognizing that this won't be the ideal way to play the game, but just a way to understand what's going on. Then, you can pick up the Big Box for the houses that you enjoy, which will give you plenty of cards to play with.

After that, if you're looking to expand further, you can try the chapter packs. I would start with the Brotherhood without Banners chapter packs, then go for The Tale of Champions set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
galathonredd wrote:

Do you need multiple core sets or is that something to maximize for tourney play? I remember when people were saying that about LOTR:LCG and found out that it was a bunch of crap if you are just a casual player looking to enjoy the game but not going broke to maximize tourney deck builds.

I mean, any of these LCG would really suck if you had to have multiple core sets to enjoy the game.

Yeah, I'm from the camp that normally says it's crap. However, in this game, you need them. Where as normally you can fill the void with expansion content, here your main identity cards won't be serviceable without a second or third core.

#1. A large proportion of the cards in the core are singletons. This makes the chance of drawing said card far lower, thus the game becomes more of a random draw fest than the slow execution of an established strategy.

#2. Uniques are given an ability by the rules that one will find inapplicable to the core cards: they can be doubled, or tripled up to prevent death.

You can buy all the expansion content you want, but unless you purchase a second core, #2 will always be a glaring omission in your ability set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks fellas. Perhaps this game does require more core sets after all. As I feared though, it's likely a good sized financial commitment. Not that I couldn't do it, but I have some other games that I have some financial commitment in already that don't see enough table time, and adding another one right now wouldn't be best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jessee
United States
Helena
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is just going to be you and your wife playing, you might want to wait for the HBO version FFG announced at GenCon since it appears to be a stand alone designed specifically for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish my wife would play

No, unfortunately my wife isn't into games at all. However, I do belong to a pretty large game group that meets weekly. The problem however is that the bigger the group has gotten over the past year, like from 8 to 30, the more people want to bring their games to get played or the more new games that get bought because people are excited to have a group to play with. Now we don't get all those people every week, but anywhere from 12 - 16 of some mix of people come, but on our occasional Saturday event days we get 20+ people throughout the day.

We also have people that are more into worker placement, area of control type games (Euro) and some that are more into Ameritrash games. So with over 2000 games available by our group members, it's sometimes tough to get a lot of plays with any one particular game. So I've recently started to think extra hard about games I get and the financial commitment because of what I mentioned above.

Games like LOTR:LCG that I have a lot of stuff for can be played solo or with my nephew occasionally. So that gets played. I also dropped $360 into Sergeants Miniatures Game and fortunately have gotten a decent amount of play with that with my nephew and another gamer in the game group.

I know that I'll love AGOT:LCG, so I worry that once I get some of it, it will be like crack and I'll buy up a ton of it whether it gets played or not, and then kick myself later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. My wife and I will give it a go a few times and see which house expansions we're most interested in! If this game is half as fun as LotR LCG, we'll have a blast with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
I know that I'll love AGOT:LCG, so I worry that once I get some of it, it will be like crack and I'll buy up a ton of it whether it gets played or not, and then kick myself later.

That sounds like what I'm doing at the moment. blush
At least I'm lucky enough that my wife plays it with me once a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:
Hahma wrote:

That sounds like what I'm doing at the moment. blush
At least I'm lucky enough that my wife plays it with me once a week or so.

Well I did the buy everything routine with Heroscape, so I know how I can be. Then when Hasbro didn't expand the Marvel set release, I became a part of C3G on Heroscapers.com and now we have close to 400 custom superhero designs, which means spending money I previously spent on Heroscape on Heroclix figures for the superhero minis and photo paper and lots of ink to print the new cards. So I tend to jump in with both feet when getting into something and am now being extra careful before going down that path with too many things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing AGoT for about 8 years or more now, and still play the core set as is with a small group of friends. You don't need anything more than the core for fun. Because you cannot depend on drawing the perfect card it forces you to learn to strategize better. This game, while not as card independent to win as Android Netrunner, it is much closer to that end than say Magic which even Richard Garfield recognizes as being more about the car than the driver when it comes to game play. IOW, you make up with strategy any deficiency in being unable to rely on drawing a specific card. The game is very light on game winning combos but high on general card synergy.

Buy the core. When you figure out what house you really like and are ready for some deck customization buy the matching expansions. I've been playing about every 4-6 weeks with just a core set despite that I own a full playset of everything and I still have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Agent 57. That sounds promising and perhaps I'll give it a shot after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.