Subject: Potential for Mage Wars beyond a dueling game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
I avoid dueling games because my typical gaming group size is beween 3 and 5, but I really like the idea of a “Magic The Gathering”-ish game that is not collectable and moves the randomness away from shuffling and towards dice. Also, the randomness does not seem so bad. Looks like the die faces are blank, blank, 1 damage, 2 damage, 1 armor piercing damage, 2 armor piercing damage. So just enough randomness to overcome the analysis paralysis that plagues abstract strategy games, but not so much that you feel that strategy does not matter.

I was wondering if the game designers had any plans, or the play testers have any idea of the adaptability, that this game could become more than just dueling.

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with a dueling game if that is what you want the game to be, but from the mage wars official site: “We believe Mage Wars is the premier Mage Combat system, and is exactly what players have been waiting for. It gives players what they want and expect in a tactical fantasy battle”. So I am hopeful.

Some ideas I had were:
* free for all
* co-operative play against adversaries controlled by game mechanics (like the gauntlet video game perhaps)
* one player controls the environment, while other players co-operate or compete towards specific goals
* I am specifically hoping to be able to push this game to 5 players somehow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People have already talked about playing this 2v2 at least.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/837806/two-mages-vs-two-mage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
sdougla2 wrote:
People have already talked about playing this 2v2 at least.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/837806/two-mages-vs-two-mage...

Well thats promising. Still not suitable for my gaming group. We have varying skill levels, and usually an odd number of players. One problem with teams is it puts too much pressure on the lessor skilled player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheesemaster .
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It's called Mage Wars for a reason. The basic premise of the game is arena style duelling.

If you want a cooperative style game, try Mage Knight. But the rules are kind of fiddly, but it's worth the learning curve.

And Mice and Mystics is getting great reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
Cheesemaster wrote:
It's called Mage Wars for a reason. The basic premise of the game is arena style duelling.

If you want a cooperative style game, try Mage Knight. But the rules are kind of fiddly, but it's worth the learning curve.

And Mice and Mystics is getting great reviews.

Hmm, by that argument it should have been called "Mage Duels" or "Mage Arena" rather than "Mage Wars", and touted the "premier Mage Dueling system" rather than the "premier Mage Combat system".

I certianly have no problem with it being a dueling game, that doesn't make it a bad game, just not the game for my group. I thought the mechanics fixed all of the problems I had with magic the gathering, and have had a lot of fun with 5-way MtG. Sounds like your impression of it is that it is really a dueling game, so thanks for the info.

I love mage knight, but you are right about it being fiddly. The variety of what you can do in Mage Knight is what makes it awesome but also what makes it take a few plays and rules readings to figure out.

I will take a look at Mice and Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Arena is very precise.

I hope you like the M & M previews. The art and story are charming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know my gaming table will turn this game into a free for all as soon as the multiplayer expansion comes out.

I think the game will have a lot of potential for many play varients beyond dueling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilMushroom wrote:

Some ideas I had were:
* free for all
* co-operative play against adversaries controlled by game mechanics (like the gauntlet video game perhaps)
* one player controls the environment, while other players co-operate or compete towards specific goals
* I am specifically hoping to be able to push this game to 5 players somehow

Actually I just skimmed through the rulebook (found on their website www.magewars.com) and in the back there is a section about the current multiplayer variants that the game offers. They don't even change the rules that much.

The two variants right now are team and Free-for-all. In the free-for-all I don't see why you couldn't add a fifth mage. The restrictions are tokens for each player and the board size. For the tokens you could probably make up your own (you sound like your dedicated enough for something like that) or get another of the sets(more expensive) and paint them a different color. And as for the board size it talks about in the multiplayer variant, just customize it yourself (use paper or something better to add some more grids) for a fifth person and make sure its a fair, free-for-all playing field.

Five players will just cost a little more. But by the end of the year they will have 6 mages to choose from(2 more going to be released and then 2 more at the beginning of next year. So even 8 by then!).

One person on here said he didn't care for the 3-player free-for-all and preferred the idea of 4-player free-for-all. In his experience, One player watched as 2 players duked it out and then killed the winner of those 2. I think, though, that in most situations the 2 mages will realize the one guy patiently waiting for the win and turn on him for a bit to even the playing field.

However, I have yet to play. This is just what I'm assuming from what I have read. It really seems this game has a wide variety of play options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
kcBagz wrote:

For the tokens you could probably make up your own (you sound like your dedicated enough for something like that) or get another of the sets(more expensive) and paint them a different color.

For tokens, I already have 1000 clay poker chips in 10 different colors, and removable labeling dots (stickers) so that I can mark one side.

kcBagz wrote:

And as for the board size it talks about in the multiplayer variant, just customize it yourself (use paper or something better to add some more grids) for a fifth person and make sure its a fair, free-for-all playing field.

I was actually thinking of making a circular board, imagine a bunch of similar sized, but irregularly shaped bricks arranged in concentric circles.
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-221913/stock-photo-bricks-in...

kcBagz wrote:

One person on here said he didn't care for the 3-player free-for-all and preferred the idea of 4-player free-for-all. In his experience, One player watched as 2 players duked it out and then killed the winner of those 2. I think, though, that in most situations the 2 mages will realize the one guy patiently waiting for the win and turn on him for a bit to even the playing field.

As for one person watching the others duke it out, depending on the game, I try to invent some mechanic that gives you a reason to get into the fray. Like placing some valuable item in the center, or giving some kind of advantage to a player that successfully defeats another. The reward has to be good enough to compensate for how much the survivors who go for it are weakened.

I am interested enough that I am going to get the 2 player version for sure. Depending on how it plays I may be investing a lot more.

Good to know the rulebook is up, I will check it out. Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilMushroom wrote:

I was actually thinking of making a circular board, imagine a bunch of similar sized, but irregularly shaped bricks arranged in concentric circles.
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-221913/stock-photo-bricks-in...

Now that sounds like a great idea and would make it easy to space out 5 mages fairly. I will be very interested to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Lazar
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I was thinking this would make for a cool role playing game. There are already mages (duh) and there's also a priest. The description on the website mentioned a paladin (an expansion I think). Your spell book would increase as you level up. (Maybe fighters could have some sort of combat maneuvers to replace spells?) You could encounter other mages and monsters would just be creatures. Thieves could work something like weaker fighters in combat. (Although there were no thieves in first edition D&D)Terrain could work like stuff mages place down, or you could just add rules for terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.