Angola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Set and variable Recruitment and Rule 16 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark of carnage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Need some clarification on some rules…

I want to know whether deploying infantry from your pool is mandatory or not during both Set and Variable Recruitment and how to correctly apply Rule 16.

Set and variable Recruitment

Rule 12.3.1 on Set Recruitment always uses the qualifier ‘can’ whereas in 12.3.2 on Variable Recruitment the qualifier used is ‘may’. For example:

Rule 12.3.1 states ‘FNLA can recruit four infantry units in Zaire. Until Cabinda falls at least two of these Units must be placed in the FLEC Base.’

Whereas:

Rule 12.3.2 states ‘FNLA Each faction may recruit a number of Infantry Units equal to its face up city Control Markers (except Luanda), plus half the number of its face up town Control Markers (rounded down)’

I’ve been playing that both words, ‘can’ and ‘may’, taken in context, mean the same thing so a player is allowed to choose whether to deploy or not in both Set and Variable Recruitment. Not sure I have been playing this right for Set Recruitment as ‘can’ can plausibly be interpreted as a ‘must’. Taking the ‘can’ as meaning ‘may’ I play that:

If the FNLA player had only 3 infantry remaining in his pool he could deploy up to 2 as Set Recruitment at FLEC Base and 1 in Zaire Proper or deploy 0 to 2 in FLEC Base and the remainder as Variable Recruitment. Is this correct?

Rule 16

Unless I have been misinterpreting it. As written Rule 16 appears absurd when applied to infantry. It states ‘If a player does not have enough counters to bring a certain type of Unit into play, then he may remove a Unit of that type from elsewhere on the map and bring that into play (though he is not forced to).’

There appears to be nothing explicit in the rules to stop the FNLA player picking Units out of the FLEC base (even during the same Set Recruitment phase!) and placing them in Zaire Proper. This would appear to be extremely gamey so we use a house rule not to allow Rule 16 to be invoked for units from FLEC Base, Cabinda or the Jungle regions near Cabinda. I think this needs to be addressed properly in the rules.

If the ‘can’ in Set Recruitment means ‘must’ then all that will happen is players will invoke Rule 16 whenever they are short of infantry units in their pool and would prefer them to appear as Variable Recruitment.

Surely, Rule 16 was intended to be used for non-infantry units. As it is written it seems an oddity in the rules. I think it works fine for units other than infantry units but for infantry it doesn’t seem right. As written, Rule 16 needs clarification of what is possible and what is not so that we all play it the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mowat
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark of carnage wrote:
This would appear to be extremely gamey so we use a house rule not to allow Rule 16 to be invoked for units from FLEC Base, Cabinda or the Jungle regions near Cabinda.

That jungle bordering Zaire proper can be hard to get out of, but allowing the FNLA to "teleport" infantry units out of there when they run low on them in their pool does seem gamey. On the other hand, perhaps this simulates some amount of helicopter transport that is available when the pool is low? I'm rationalizing a bit.

Have veteran players ever had a problem with this in your games, or do you enforce a house rule similar to Mark's to combat it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark of carnage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DarkFib3r wrote:
mark of carnage wrote:
This would appear to be extremely gamey so we use a house rule not to allow Rule 16 to be invoked for units from FLEC Base, Cabinda or the Jungle regions near Cabinda.

That jungle bordering Zaire proper can be hard to get out of, but allowing the FNLA to "teleport" infantry units out of there when they run low on them in their pool does seem gamey. On the other hand, perhaps this simulates some amount of helicopter transport that is available when the pool is low? I'm rationalizing a bit.

Have veteran players ever had a problem with this in your games, or do you enforce a house rule similar to Mark's to combat it?

Jason, Rule 16 was amended on 27/8/12 to address this problem. See the errata. It is now not possible to 'teleport' units and this superb game is all the better for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.