Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the Overlord spends his XP for extra OL cards, he adds them to his deck and can then customize it by trimming it back down to 15 cards. I was just wondering, all you Overlords out there, do you actually do this? So far in our games, we've noticed that we haven't.

We've only played Basic/Advanced and 1st Half of Campaign, so the most extra cards we've had has been 4 (4XP spent on 1XP cards), but since there's no Hand Limit on the Overlord, we're wondering why you would trim your hand? Each quest we've played, the OL has easily gone through his deck at least once, if not multiple times. Delaying the Heroes in Encounter 1 to stock up on OL cards seems like a viable tactic, and having more cards so far has seemed better than fewer.

Have you found that your OLs trimmed out any cards? And if so, which ones?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been known to strip out a few tripwires, I'm dealing with quite a nimble group of heroes and they've been worse than useless most times I've played them. We're at the end of Act 1 in our current campaign, I think I'll be tweaking the deck further as we progress.

I haven't got through my whole deck in a quest once yet, I must be more of a cautious OL than yours, like to build my hand up and hang on to cards for the critical moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
I've been known to strip out a few tripwires...

Ditto. Nimble heroes. At this point in our campaign, I've bought 4 cards, and regularly toss two tripwires.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been taking out the re-rolls. They are nice when you miss, but I'd rather see Dash more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Henrich
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Magic: The Gathering taught me that you should *always* make your deck as lean as possible. I trim my deck down to 15 every time. I've only played just shy of the interlude so far, but I'd say there are two good reasons to trim your deck down.

1) The smaller the deck the more predictable it is, you will get the cards you want (kept) more often than if it is larger.
2) If we are talking about getting up to large hands I don't think having more than 15 cards would be better than always drawing one of the good cards I played last turn.

So far I trim based on which encounter we are doing a little. In Death on the Wing I kept both Tripwires despite the fact that the party as a whole has pretty good awareness. It's often one I take out though. In general I've been taking traps out mostly since one of my heroes has Danger Sense and has been quite willing to use it just about every turn he has the stamina for it. So, those don't often stay in my hand initially and I'd rather draw other cards that I have more control over when I play. One other thing to note, even with two Unholy Rituals in my deck I still trim down because I'd rather draw them more often than having one extra trap in my hand.

Cards I will be unlikely to remove from my deck:
Dash, Frenzy, Dark Charm and any that I bought (though there will be exceptions).
Other than that I will base it on what my win conditions are, if I'm stalling I'll be keeping traps, if I'm trying to kill something I'll be keeping Dark Might and Critical Blow and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Tripwire has been our bane (hero wise). Even with our high awareness heroes it gets played on them, and sometimes they fail. Our heroes hate that card, and the OL would probably never trim that card out.

I think the card that sees the least amount of play is the one Search Trap card. But the stop-movement cards are played all the time (Tripwire and Pit Trap).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
that trap card can be brutal..if they don't get rid of the poison it tear them down really fast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest always trimming to 15 cards and take out the cards that have the least likely affect on the party, the attribute testing cards that they have the highest average attribute in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krinn DNZ
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
shnar wrote:
Interesting. Tripwire has been our bane (hero wise). Even with our high awareness heroes it gets played on them, and sometimes they fail. Our heroes hate that card, and the OL would probably never trim that card out.

I think the card that sees the least amount of play is the one Search Trap card. But the stop-movement cards are played all the time (Tripwire and Pit Trap).

-shnar

Seconded: Tripwire, for me as Overlord, has been the most effective trap by a lot because when it works it consumes a hero's entire action. Tripwire and Dash, because of how many quests revolve around the OL trying to move monsters from Point A to Point B, are two cards I'm extremely reluctant to take out of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Interociter wrote:

Ditto. Nimble heroes. At this point in our campaign, I've bought 4 cards, and regularly toss two tripwires.
TK

Based on last night's game I'm having second thoughts about my deck-stripping. The Staff of Shadows requires that the OL discard a card in exchange for a reroll, would have been nice to have some 'low value' tripwires in my hand, I kept finding that the cards I had were worth more to me than the staff's power, and in the end I'm not sure I made the best use of either.

Stupid heroes took out Lady Eliza RIGHT BY the final door
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
I trim every quest to match appropriately. Generally I ditch tripwire (my heroes frequently fatigue-move and double attack so it's useless) unless they have a long run ahead. If I'm using monsters that don't have yellow dice I'll drop out critical hit as I'll just rely on their built in surge abilities, etc. Very much dependent on the quest being played and whether I think a card will help in that scenario or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripwire is *awesome* against fatigue movers since it Stuns the Hero (which would remove one ofthe attacks if they're dbl attacking)...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
shnar wrote:
Tripwire is *awesome* against fatigue movers since it Stuns the Hero (which would remove one ofthe attacks if they're dbl attacking)...

-shnar

Tripwire doesn't stun, it just stops their movement action dead, costing them movement points. It's useless if they are fatigue moving

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be thinking of Pit Trap...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
Based on last night's game I'm having second thoughts about my deck-stripping. The Staff of Shadows requires that the OL discard a card in exchange for a reroll, would have been nice to have some 'low value' tripwires in my hand, I kept finding that the cards I had were worth more to me than the staff's power, and in the end I'm not sure I made the best use of either.

I'd rather chuck a good card to the staff than a bad card if discarding the bad card means having had to waste a draw on it in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Interociter wrote:

I'd rather chuck a good card to the staff than a bad card if discarding the bad card means having had to waste a draw on it in the first place.

Yes, you might be on to something there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
tkelly wrote:
Interociter wrote:

TK

Stupid heroes took out Lady Eliza RIGHT BY the final door

This doesn't make any sense to me. If you were drawing cards that were more valuable to you than the staff's power, then YOU WERE DRAWING CARDS THAT WERE MORE VALUABLE TO YOU THAN THE STAFF'S POWER. Your overall effectiveness was increased by having those cards instead of "worse" cards which you could cash out for a still-less-useful staff activation.

Maybe you were just having trouble situationally valuating the different powers? I've seen this happen a lot in other games *coughRaceForTheGalaxycough*, where players are strongly averse to "wasting" cards in hand when it might actually be better to sacrifice them to power other effects that are useful short-term. It might just be that the staff feels underpowered to you, but if you felt like you underutilized it you were probably just hanging onto cards you shouldn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.