Neuroshima Hex!» Forums » Rules

Subject: decisions during a battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some units in this game that require owner's decision during battle: e.g. Moloch's clown and New York's sniper.

Clown's owner has to decide whether clown attacks normally or blows up.

Sniper's owner has to decide which unit sniper attacks.

Imagine such situation:
- Both above mentioned units have same initiative.
- Clown is already wounded or sniper is connected to module increasing it's range attack - sniper can kill clown with one shot.
- Clown is surrounded by New York units (so hurting own units with blowing up is not a case), but New York's HQ is not anywhere near (so there is not reason not to blow up in order to hit HQ). Those units doesn't attack clown - if he doesn't blow up and sniper doesn't shoot him clown would survive.

New York player doesn't know whether clown is going to blow. If it does, attacking clown would be a waste (sniper can shoot other unit on it's line of attack). On the other hand Moloch's player doesn't know whether clown gets shot. If it does - there is no reason not to blow it up.

Who has to decide first?
- Player who played the battle tile (or took last place on board)?
- The other player (as he would have advantage of going first after battle)?
- Any other reasoning?

P.S. I post it in Neuroshima Hex! forum (not Babel13) even though such situation wouldn't happen in the base game (there is only clown that has ability to do or not do something during battle), but I believe there may be similar situations with units form other expansions (including expansion not yet released or fan armies).

P.P.S. How is it resolved in iOS Neuroshima Hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! I'd say that player who caused the battle gets to decide first, but that's just my opinion. I'd like to hear official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
I had this situation once. I'd suggest just decide simultaneously. We, for example, each took a random tile from discard pile, then I said "If this tile is face up, it means that I blow up, otherwise I just strike." My opponent said the same about his sniper's possible actions. Then we secretly put the tile in our hands with the needed side upward (I decided to explode) and revealed our decisions simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Final Cylon
United States
flag msg tools
Yes. In the iOS version, it's simultaneous, at least in multiplayer online and versus the AI. That is, both sides choose their actions secretly, and then the initiative phase is resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find deciding simultaneously as the best option, however I see some technical difficulties. Let's say sniper has four different targets. Of course, you can assign numbers to units and use a dice (setting it secretly to the chosen value) to choose the target. But how would you resolve rocket launcher where plenty possibilities may exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
emancypator wrote:
But how would you resolve rocket launcher where plenty possibilities may exist?

There's always pen and paper...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
haslo wrote:
emancypator wrote:
But how would you resolve rocket launcher where plenty possibilities may exist?

There's always pen and paper...

Or if only one "complicated" choice exists, that player simply announces their choice after all other "simple" choices have been physically made (by writing, placing tile up or down, etc) but before they are revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.