Relic Knights: Darkspace Calamity» Forums » General

Subject: Too much fanservice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of diceless, card based combat and only needing a handful of miniatures on a small board to play an action packed game. The anime style science-fiction miniatures look very cool, too. However, the over the top fanservice puts me off. I have nothing against beautiful female models, but almost every female character in this game comes with ridiculously large breasts and the skimpiest, most revealing outfit possible. This is not only true for the models, but also for the artwork and even the game's "booth babe" at Gen Con. Is this a cheap attempt to get more male costumers? For me, it is the main reason not to invest in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it annoying, but not disqualifying. The minis aren't a problem, IMHO: they're small enough that bystanders have to be looking pretty hard to notice, and you can always add clothes during the painting process if it's really a problem. The artwork is more problematic: even if you leave the book under your backpack, you still need the cards on the table to play the game. (I'm not expecting cosplayers to show up at my games, so that's one problem dealt with... cool )

I'm still on the fence about this game, but mostly because I'm trying to see how interesting the game rules are. If I'm satisfied on that point, the fanservice won't keep me from buying in. It might keep the game from expanding as much as it could, since most parents didn't grow up with anime around (yet), but Soda Pop'll have to cross that bridge when they get to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
Nah, not too much. I haven't been staring at the male model crotches or anything, but they're massively beefed up elsewhere. Boys. Girls. It's the look. Thank goodness that in reality humanity doesn't live in spandex.

Now, that tentacle card game that got shot down a few months ago was a bit much. Interesting that that game didn't really have anything over-the-top-visual, but textual and contextual. Nude doesn't beat out the negligee, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Waters
Finland
flag msg tools
awakeneddragon wrote:
Now, that tentacle card game that got shot down a few months ago was a bit much.

Well, for certain definitions of "shot down"... After Kickstarter dropped Tentacle Bento, the project then migrated to Soda Pop's own site and went on to collect $50,000 in funding. It's slated for release in a couple of weeks: the BGG entry can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is too much, I feel it is just the anime style - though the lack of gravity defying-hair brooding male stereotypes does disappoint me somewhat.
My wife is a bigger anime fan than I, and she likes the look of it - she considers it typical for the niche that it fits, that of anime orientated.

Why am I buying into Relic Knights?
Well, firstly I like the look of the figures, I might not have bought them despite how much I like them if not for them having a game for them - I don't enjoy generic miniatures systems as much as a themed system.
It was literally the Kisa & Scratch figures that sold me, particularly Scratch who has gone from a delicate Egyptian looking proud animal to a plumper comic and comedic animal wearing a cape and poised like a superhero. I dig both.

The game interests me, described as a cross between pokemon and skirmish miniatures - my wife prefers easier games to the more complex ones, though I am breaking her into Malifaux.

It is also a reason to make unusual terrain too which is another interest of mine, sure you could play with generic hills and trees, but to create something with that anime flavor inspires me with the challenge.

I also enjoyed Super Dungeon Explore by SPM, so I'm looking forward to what the company has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like to think I am way over that kind of thinking. = I don't care about the skimpy costumes, as It doesn't affect my judgement one way or the other.

Game has awesome miniatures, and I can see the appeal on the game as a whole. It's a game, I think you are thinking a bit too much in making this a matter of principle. whistle

Besides, there are dozens of miniature-games without boobs allready, pick something else if tiny plastic asses bother you so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomyrgon wrote:
It's a game, I think you are thinking a bit too much in making this a matter of principle.

It's a game, which means I'd like to be able to find opponents. If Mom and Grandma won't buy little Jimmy this game for his birthday, that's one less opponent out there. If Jane decides she'd rather play Sorcha (who can manage to find something warm to wear into battle) than Princess Malya (who can't), then that's one less opponent out there.

So no, tiny plastic asses don't bother me too much. Buying a game that I can't find an opponent for bothers me. The fact that the tiny plastic asses are why I would have to play with myself is merely ironic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
they will be plastic, i plan to give a few of the figures breast reductions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
That... doesn't seem like a mentally healthy activity to me... But to each their own.

I'll paint the figs and that'll be the extent of my "handling" of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of anime, especially shows with great stories and interesting characters (*points to his microbadges*). What I really don't like though is the pushy fanservice that is way to prevalent in Japanese anime. All those overly revealing outfits, close ups of big, bouncy breasts and *shudder* panty shots. This seems to be nothing but a cheap attempt to get more viewers from the young male audience. But it is not only cheap, it also objectifies women.

While I like Soda Pop's idea to make a Sci-Fi tabletop that is thematically and visually based on anime, I am disappointed that they chose to include this objectionable element, too.

A recent advertisement for Relic Knights on the latest Sedition Wars Kickstarter update says that it has “tasteful fanservice”. I have nothing against “tasteful fanservice”, but modeling almost every single female character with the biggest breasts and the shortest outfits possible is everything but tasteful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
I like the look of it for the most part. It's bright and full of energy in an era where energetic characters are sorely lacking. Some of the excessive stuff definitely dials down my enthusiasm for certain factions though. The lecher guy in Doctrine is particularly souring and while I think a lot of Cerci is pretty tasteful, the sheer volume gets questionable. Shattered Sword and Corsairs are both pretty tastefully done, IMO and are currently the two factions I'm driven towards the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pitzer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has definitely been a huge hurdle for me, it's just off-putting. After seeing the rules, I'm in but still with some reservations. I definitely gravitate toward somebody the less egregious factions but the Speed Circuit is a problems ilike the sleek vehicles and the play style but not thereafter of the models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like it, DON'T BACK IT. Simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.