Subject: Playable with young kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im trying to find a suitable dungeon explorer-game with minis for my 8-year old (as well as for my 11-year old and wife).

We are moving away from Crossbows and Catapults and want to move into something a bit more themebased and atmospheric. With Heroscape out of production (and damn expensive on Ebay), this looks like the next best thing.

He enjoys gaming and minis and we are playing BloodBowl and such on a regular basis. He manages games like BloodBowl, Carcasonne, Settlers,etc, so I hope he would find this one interesting.

Any advice from parents who has / are playing this game with their kids?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been playing this with my 10 year-old son. He has no trouble, but he's been gaming with me for several years now.

I would suggest being the overlord and helping him out with his moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my 9-year-old daughter. With her, I wasn't going all-out to win, and often didn't bother to play many OL cards, and still won often, but I would often point out things she could do. Near the end of the campaign, she was getting a little discouraged, so I just gave her some free money and XP to spend, which helped her feel a little more competitive.

I don't think playing with younger kids makes it any less fun, even if you do pull punches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:
Im trying to find a suitable dungeon explorer-game with minis for my 8-year old (as well as for my 11-year old and wife).

We are moving away from Crossbows and Catapults and want to move into something a bit more themebased and atmospheric. With Heroscape out of production (and damn expensive on Ebay), this looks like the next best thing.

He enjoys gaming and minis and we are playing BloodBowl and such on a regular basis. He manages games like BloodBowl, Carcasonne, Settlers,etc, so I hope he would find this one interesting.

Thanks!

I'll have a review up in a week or so (trying to get Space Empires 4x review done first) but my final thoughts are for the 9 and under crowd go super dungeon explore, 10 and up go with Descent (speaking of age ranges not saying one game is better than the other... yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:

Thanks!

I am playing a campaign with my 14 and 8 year old sons. The 8 year old gets all the rules and loves the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this with my 4 & 6 year olds, who played heroes along with their aunts. The 4 year old was able to handle being the beserker and the 6 year old was the rune master. They both did fine with just a little direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Johnston
United States
Alton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently playing my way through the campaign with a 12, 10 and 9 year old and there loving it. I play as the overlord and give them a few different suggestions of things to do on there turn. For the most part its been pretty even we are both tied with a win each!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, ordered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Doherty
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Me and my family are about to complete our first campaign, we only have the Finale to do.

I'm playing as the OL and my girlfriend is playing a hero alongside my 3 sons aged 5, 7, and 8. They all enjoy the game though the 5 year old will usually get bored towards the end of the second encounter. He always wants to play the next mission though lol.

I'm not going all out to win the campaign, I'm trying to make it fun for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
Its all coming out in the wash as I expected it would in time.
The picture being painted is that its a game for kids.

With D2 I am seeing more and more posts with answers and topics like this one.

I am struggling to take this game as a mature game in that higher mental processes are NOT required and in this version the challenge levels are set low, it seems like the games just a process than a journey. Theres a place for complexity, its not apparent in D2.

It feels like FFG has chopped of Descents broken leg rather than reset the bone on this version. It was easier to do this. It was 'simpler'

I await the 'I played it with my three year old' brag-post, its only a matter of time.

I'm about to hammer in the final nail on this D2 coffin and class it as a fail without having played or owned it, without any regret sadly.

(Edit: Added the word NOT)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necker wrote:
I'm about to hammer in the final nail on this D2 coffin and class it as a fail without having played or owned it, without any regret sadly.

Hi, Necker.

It's you're enjoyment and if you don't think you'll enjoy it without playing, that's your choice but may I ask what looks hard and complex for no reason upon reading the rules?

I've never played D1 but I found nothing particularly difficult on my first play. There are a few rules that could be clearer but there's nothing common sense and a rule can't make a judgement on, by the book or not. Pretty much just like any other board game I've ever bought and played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Necker wrote:

D2 is much less "geeky" than D1, after what I have understood.
Less complex, shorter.

In my case, that means more fun and easier access to more people than D1.
I never purchased D1 because it was a too "heavy" game to introduce my (casual) game opponents to.
FFG seems to have done an excellent job in creating the D2 format - and I preordered it without any of the hesitations I had about D1.
The encounters are not that simple to "grock" and different levels of play seem possible.

BTW, chess is a challenging game for adults, and you can find kids playing it too.

Now, not having even played the game and consider it a fail is something I don't quite understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
Robin wrote:

BTW, chess is a challenging game for adults, and you can find kids playing it too.

Now, not having even played the game and consider it a fail is something I don't quite understand.

Its a casual game your right.
D2 is D1's metro-sexual partner, it does not upset, challenge or have its own personality. Its a gray blending of everything into one mainstream acceptable farce of bits. Its no leader or role model, it has no advancement in presence in its own right.
It requires a level of continuous affection thats wholly unwarranted to exist.

Its chess - without the pawns, a bishop and a few knights, its played on half a board.

The granduer is lost, its a step back
Wheres that hammer...

But your right I should play it before commenting on it, but I wont.
All I can do is watch the threads unfurl amassing the consensus that this game (so far) can be played by four year olds...
I'm glad all your kids enjoy D2 keep up the good work on this gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Necker wrote:
But your right I should play it before commenting on it, but I wont.
I am right... and it's too late for you.
Necker wrote:
All I can do is watch the threads unfurl amassing the consensus that this game (so far) can be played by four year olds...
I'm glad all your kids enjoy D2 keep up the good work on this gateway game.
What if some of those kids were smarter than you?
It also is a possibilty you should not rule out.
For the least, using this precise thread to judge D2 is not the smartest move one can make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
Robin wrote:

What if some of those kids were smarter than you?
It also is a possibilty you should not rule out.

Your right again. you should not rule that one out at all
Enjoy chaps, I'll pop back in here now and again to check how things pan out.
Regrettably for me right now I'm done with the whole D2 hype. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.