Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game look very nice but i was wondering about the replayability. What are the possibilitis after having played all the 8 scenarios?moreover how easy and enjoyable is to play one of the scenario without knowing the previous story?
one last question regarding the release. Will it be available in Essen ?if yes at which price?
thanks for the info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I read something about further adventure packs, something like Mansions of Madness provides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that is indeed not hard to imagine but like MoM the game itself is not cheap and adding up 20 bucks for each expansions becomes a bit silly to me. The advantage of MoM over Mice and mystics in my opinion is that you are playing aginst someone and that makes the game more various(without mantioning that for each scenarios in MoM there are different objective and the locations of the items differs from game to game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I don't have time to answer your question. I am at Gencon running demos. However, I have answered this same question quite a few times on these forums. Perhaps read some of the threads here? Also, there are 11 chapters included not 8, and we will have downloadable chapters on our website in addition to small and large expansions. But the base game offers much replayability in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I demo'd this at GenCon. It feels like a really well done narrative based rpg-lite. It's has high replayability with the 11 chapters plus the chapters ate replayable as well. On top of that, there was talk of PDF expansions that are new scenarios using the base set while expansions are also planned that provide new tiles etc.

Definitely replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I intend to do is replay it with different people. Playing once with my daughter and wife. Once with my gaming friends. Once solo. It will be neat to experience the story with different groups.

Also since there are six mice and you often need only 4 you will be able replay different stories using different combinations of mice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
See, in particular, the wandering thread: But will it REALLY be replayable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't have time to answer your question. I am at Gencon running demos. However, I have answered this same question quite a few times on these forums. Perhaps read some of the threads here? Also, there are 11 chapters included not 8, and we will have downloadable chapters on our website in addition to small and large expansions. But the base game offers much replayability in itself.

Note: I DO NOT OWN THE GAME, yet.

But I don't see a reason to question replayability yet. It's a co-operative game, with 11 scenarios included in the box. That is quite a bit of scenarios and should guarantee at least 20 hours of enjoyment before you even begin to repeat scenarios. Assuming you play each scenario twice before you get bored thats 40 hours of gameplay?

I think 11 scenarios is pretty darn decent and on par with and in some cases far surpasses games currently rated well on the board game market.

My only complaint about the game right now is I have to listen to my son's pester me every single day to play "THE MOUSEGUARD BOARD GAME!" (what can I say they saw me pre-order this game and immediately thought of mouseguard). Literally every day I hear this... Jerry get this darn box to my house ASAP or I think a 4 and 7 year old will be hunting you down....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm attracted to the story because it's infinitely replayable for people who tell stories. Children and adults can create their own stories and scenarios, as there are many characters in the game, with many possibilities for adventure. I just wish we'd had a nice gameset to help us bring to life the stories my Dad made up for us when we were kids.

And the idea of an audio story book just adds to the fun.

The game's worth the wait. Patience has to be a virtue, here! Of course, that's a tough sell when the kids are pestering.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussed in this thread.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/809545/but-will-it-reall...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing not mentioned is there are side quests in the game. Do you do the side quest to get the extra reward, or do you simply move on to make sure you achieve your main goal? This is a where replaying the same adventure comes in. You can do it one way, and then go back and try it the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonlord wrote:
What are the possibilitis after having played all the 8 scenarios?
thanks for the info

11 scenarios!

I played and taught this game more than 10 times this weekend at GenCon. The demo was only chapter 1 (Scenario 1), and I cannot wait to play it again when I get my copy. Especially chapter 1, as I will have different groups of friends that will just LOVE it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also add that while the elements in chapter 1 like the tiles may stay the same, the search deck, the encounter deck, the liklihood of a surge in different rooms, etc...

I think each game will be very different. I saw that while teaching, some parties worked together better than others, and not everyone makes it through successfully...

I had 1 total party kill, as well. That was excellent. one game a party even lost half their team while trying to escape the last tile. It felt like the end of a match of Left 4 Dead when 2 guys were already in the safe room and the other two just couldn't make it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonlord wrote:
that is indeed not hard to imagine but like MoM the game itself is not cheap and adding up 20 bucks for each expansions becomes a bit silly to me.

You need to read the thread that others have already referred to, but I think I recall seeing something somewhere that some of the expansions would be published for free on the website.

Even if we accept your premise of a $20 expansion, it sure as hell beats the $50 full box expansions for Runebound and the $70 companions to the recently published DnD games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A $20 expansion is CHEAP. The expansion for Eclipse has a retail of $49.99. Granted, it's suppose to have a ton of stuff in it as well, but a $20 expansion really is on the smaller side. I'm ok with the cost of expansions since I've done my homework and know what games worlds I would want to invest in. Sure, I would love to own stuff like Descent, Mage Wars, various LCGs, etc. I just don't feel like keeping up with all of them and the cost that they will all incur due to my inherit OCD with having everything.

If people want to argue that I can simply buy the base game, they are missing the point of those titles. If I want a game, I get Twilight Struggle. If I want a game world, I get something like Descent. Game worlds are meant to be these huge things that you simply do not play once and call it done or repeat the single thing over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the best of all worlds for expansions of Mice and Mystics would include storybooks and scenarios expanding the universe, but keeping in mind the economic constraints that we face on an international basis it would be well to keep miniatures and expensive components to a minimum. Twenty dollars is affordable. Forty dollars would be a stretch for many, including me.

Just another point of view and another five cents' worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.