1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Setlers of Catan -anybody reccomend this game to me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
I was visiting a friend who introduce me to this game. He ask me if I heard of it, I say yes but it was something I wouldn't like because the artwork on the cover box and the board layout + the name of the game didnt please me (what I mean is it could be some silly game) and he was like WHATsurpriseand told me that people all over the world knows and loves this game, it even had a highest rating on BGG. So I had him explain the whole game for me coveing all the rules. So after he was done, I felt that I would give it a chance. However, we didn't had the time or the space to set up the board because I was about to leave soon and his wife suggest that she don't want to make room for us because she was not in the mood to clean the house at that moment. So I did not get to play it. And playing the game means much different to see if you like it or not

With that said, is this game better than any other game? even better than a dungeon game/space exploration / abstract/ war theme/RPG themed/and a card game?

would you reccomend this game to me and play it solo? I don't mind trading resources between players by myself. I just want to make sure that this game should be a MUST to be on my gaming list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend that you avoid it like the plague. Plenty of much better games out there. Its relatively high ranking is, I suspect, largely due to nostalgia, and people who rated it years ago not revising their ratings downwards to reflect the fact that there are plenty of new games they would rather play.

I exclude the Settlers junkies, of course. Settlers is not a bad game in the right group, and some people genuinely love it. I just think you are more likely to find a game that you would genuinely love from the better games that are out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:

With that said, is this game better than any other game? even better than a dungeon game/space exploration / abstract/ war theme/RPG themed/and a card game?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Its relatively high ranking is, I suspect, largely due to nostalgia
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

But, it's the first really popular game of it's kind. You gotta have respect for that, and as a serious gamer, it's mandatory that you at least try it. There's no excuse.

In the same way everyone should at least respect Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it better? No

Is it worth trying out? Yes

Can you play solo? No
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I adore the game and it remains a nice gateway game.
(There are better games and better gateway games - but I've enjoyed Settlers more than any other game.)

It really isn't a solo game but if you set up your own rules you could enjoy playing around with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentegarn76 wrote:
I have played it, and a couple of other versions of it, for the first time over the last couple months.

It is not a bad game really, most of the hate that you see for it is 'counter culture' more than anything. The critique I see most is about the die rolls (and the way the game is set they are not exactly wrong about it). But even that can be nullified by using the event card option instead of the dice.

All that being said I prefer Settlers of America. If you are going to put a toe in the Catan pool, I would put that toe in that end. More resources on the map means less getting screwed by die rolls, the goal is more of a countdown rather than a point check all the time which is easier for all involved to keep track of. Overall I found it to be the most enjoyable of the Catan games.

Now I won't sit here and call it the GOAT like some might, not will I give it the Monopoly treatment that others do. It is a decent to above average classic game. Nothing more.

Or to put it another way, it's a good game if yiuy are willing to modify it.

It's a very luck heavy game, and sadley you can (in essence) lose the game in set up (especialy if you do not know how the game actualy plays). You can also end up unable to do anything at all the whole game, thus whilst everyone else has fun you just say pass.

I have played space farers which seemed better, but it was a while ago.

It's not desinged for solo play, and whilst it might make an interesting exercise I don't see it working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Its relatively high ranking is, I suspect, largely due to nostalgia
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

But, it's the first really popular game of it's kind. You gotta have respect for that, and as a serious gamer, it's mandatory that you at least try it. There's no excuse.

I also suspect that if you own it you are likely to have rated it highly, if you played it but don't own it it's likely you have not rated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Isaac, I suggest you give it a try. However, give your friend's copy a try! It is worth a try with your friend (even better since he can teach you the rules!) but don't run out and buy your own copy, at least not until you've played a few times with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I also suspect that if you own it you are likely to have rated it highly, if you played it but don't own it it's likely you have not rated it.

I rate the games I don't own, but have played. I think the higher rating is based on the fact that when it came out it was so far above the norm people rated it rather high. As other games came out, people simply left there rating for it as is. Most of the game play is OK, but 7 Wonders is rather similar to it and a better game. The robber aspect is poorly implemented and brings it down for me. I gave it a 6.5 and have little desire to move it. Catan is more significant for its influence on modern gaming than it is for its quality of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
A great game that I'm still happy to play 17 years later. I just picked up another 1995 German edition (in shrink!) so I can replace my trade cards which were getting pretty funky.

Quote:

It is better than many games IMHO. If you are looking for a highly thematic adventure game, this is not it. It is a farly sedate game of placement, production, and trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing to remember about Catan is that the rules are fairly simple, which is always a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a simple, easy to learn, easy to play game that is perfect to play with those that don't know that boardgames beyond Monopoly exist. I take it with me to many family/friend functions because it's perfect while drinking beers and generally chilling out. A lot of BGG'ers like to trash it these days and it's true that many, better games have come out since its relase but there's a reason it's considered a classic - easy to pick up, little down time, no player elimination, and even if you don't play it for 5 years, like remembering how to ride a bike, you won't need to reference the rules.

But, solo? No. The game is all about player interaction and trading. You can't accurately reflect that in this game playing it solo.

My suggestion: meet with your friend and his wife again with the express purpose of sitting down and playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john ford
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still rate it a "10" because it's still tough to win at WBC. I can almost always get my family and friends to play it (4 players is the best) and it's really easy to teach newbies. I've never placed better than second at a WBC table, though, so there's more than just luck involved. I'll echo the earlier comment that you owe it to yourself to get back with your friends and play it a few times. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ad Astra is basically the game Settlers of Catan should have been. It does everything Settlers does and does it a little bit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is simple and easy to learn but there are many games out there that are just as simple and easy but are better because they don't suck. Settlers is a game that I'll play if others want to but otherwise will never choose to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
Yes it is simple and easy to learn but there are many games out there that are just as simple and easy but are better because they don't suck. Settlers is a game that I'll play if others want to but otherwise will never choose to play it.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game I plan to add to my collection at some point.

And that 'at some point' speaks volumes - it's not a bad game for it's type, but there are better games, and as others have said the random element in the game means you can win or lose purely due to good or bad luck.

But, as a light, simple, usually fun, game, for all the family, it's a close to must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a good game to try: Yes

Should it be a must on your list: Yes and no

Settlers of Catan is a fairly light game and if you are getting into hobby board gaming or often play with people who are less inclined to more complicated games then it may be worth buying. However, bare in mind that designer board games, because of their cost, are an investment and dropping $40 - $100 dollars on a game you end up not enjoying or can never bring to the table kind of sucks. I highly suggest reading and watching reviews of Settlers of Catan and either playing your friends copy or going to your local FLGS and playing their in store copy.

Another fairly inexpensive option is to play Catan on an electronic device. Android, IPhone, and some video game consoles have Catan apps that allow you to play with bots or people via internet or hotseat.

Ultimately it may not be a game worth buying but I highly suggest you at least play it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:

Monopoly doesn't deserve my respect.

Settlers is a great game to get your feet wet. I enjoyed it a lot when I first played it. Now it's an average game I'll play once in a while. It has its fans. Is it better than others? Some, but there are much better games out there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of other posters have already expressed something along these lines.

I strongly recommend you play it at least once. It is one of the most iconic designer games in existence. It is a good gateway game and purely for its status as an ubiquitous reference game you should get a few plays under your belt.

Is it the best game every? Far from it. It is in the top 100 but as others said that's largely due to the sheer numbers sold to (yet) inexperience gamers. Many games do similar things better and more interestingly and from what I recall out of your other threads I'd estimate that you're somewhat past that gaming level. It's probably not worth getting it - even if you have gaming friends who prefer lighter games. I'd personally substitute it with Ticket to Ride/Alhambra and Bohnanza.

So check it out at a game store, at a friend's place or through the many, many options available online, on pc, tablets or smart phones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently bought settlers because of the luck factor. Some of my gaming partners get left in the dust with the max out efficiency sort of games. So it filled that niche quite nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
Isaac, I suggest you give it a try. However, give your friend's copy a try! It is worth a try with your friend (even better since he can teach you the rules!) but don't run out and buy your own copy, at least not until you've played a few times with him.

I'm amazed at how many people have posted really negative comments about this game! I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here's mine: Settlers is a great game. Yes there is an element of luck to it, but I quite like that. It's perfect for the new gamer who wants to enjoy something a bit deeper than Monopoly and branch out into the wonderful world of totally cool board games.

So, Isaac, I agree with Luce here. Try out your friend's copy of Settlers, and if you like it go out and buy a different game (eg. Alhambra, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Roborally, Dominion...the list goes on) which you and your friend can also enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CPAG wrote:
Luce wrote:

I'm amazed at how many people have posted really negative comments about this game! I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here's mine: Settlers is a great game. Yes there is an element of luck to it, but I quite like that. It's perfect for the new gamer who wants to enjoy something a bit deeper than Monopoly and branch out into the wonderful world of totally cool board games.

So, Isaac, I agree with Luce here. Try out your friend's copy of Settlers, and if you like it go out and buy a different game (eg. Alhambra, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Roborally, Dominion...the list goes on) which you and your friend can also enjoy.

Isaac only plays games solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Epee wrote:
Isaac only plays games solo.

I thought so too, but in this OP he at least has a friend who plays Catan, so maybe he could play more? Unless, and I just realized this possibility, is this a friend in the US, Isaac?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.