Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommendations for a 2+ player card game that is NOT a CCG or LCG?

Preferably with a bit more player interaction than the Dominions and 7 Wonders of this world..

Something a bit different like Arena: Roma II that can accommodate 2-4 players would be great. I enjoy games like Magic but don't want my inner completionist to get overawed and have to pick up every expansion for a CCG/LCG etc.

Something like Summoner Wars looks like the kind of thing - but having bought and sold Dungeon Run I don't think the dice mechanics would go down well with my gaming group.

Please help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Glory to Rome?

slimo wrote:

Preferably with a bit more player interaction than the Dominions and 7 Wonders of this world..

Something a bit different like Arena: Roma II that can accommodate 2-4 players would be great. I enjoy games like Magic but don't want my inner completionist to get overawed and have to pick up every expansion for a CCG/LCG etc.

Something like Summoner Wars looks like the kind of thing - but having bought and sold Dungeon Run I don't think the dice mechanics would go down well with my gaming group.

Please help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Helmuth
Denmark
Copenhagen
KBH S
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game..

GOSU is okay.. Need some more plays, as it have not really got to me yet, though something inside me clearly think it should..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
You absolutely have to check out Glory to Rome.

The game not mentioned yet that has to be is Race for the Galaxy. While there are three expansions (soon to be four), there is no need to get any of them; the base game is perfect. It requires a little investment in learning the icons, but once you do, the game just glides. Even my non-gamer wife loves it.

The two above are classics; you can't go wrong with either of them.

Edit: I had supported you taking a look at Summoner Wars though I then remembered your player count of two to four. It's really a two player game (though a fantastic one - one of my favorites); the four player game is more like two two player games melded together and there are better three to four player games out there. I had also added a +1 for Innovation; it is a fun, brain warping two player game though I've heard from many who say the experience is not as fun with three to four (have not tried those numbers myself so I can't say).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 RftG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Gosu as a four player, but by reports from a number of players, it plays best at 2. Summoner Wars might not technically be a LCG, but the numerous packs you can add to it pretty much makes it one.

RftG is good even though it has a higher learning curve. San Juan is easier to get into, but will lack the depth of RftG. Innovation seems needlessly fiddly and is known for it's wide swings with even out of the blue wins. While that does appeal to some people, it might not others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
+1 Bloodbowl. Super fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:

Please help!!
RFTG fails in the interaction aspect.

If Summoner wars and Magic is your thing what about ordering Mage Wars Arena as soon as you can?

322 cards and four magicians in one base set. Sure you may want to buy more cards later but I think you get enough for playing for a while.

Same with the Summoner wars deluxe base set whatever it's called.

I don't know whatever I'd see those as card games but rather miniature games with cards maybe? But whatever

I have to think a little more for real card games. Glory to Rome as mentioned is one. The New Era is another. I think that is more interactive than RFTG. You only need that box to play the game, there will come out a Winter expansion later though but I doubt you NEED it.

(Edit: I think RFTG is pretty fun even though there's no interaction though. Lots of decisions all the time and that's what I like and want in a game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uchronia
Before the Wind
King of the Elves
Meuterer
Bayon
Jambo if you tweak the rules and have the expansions(2) can play 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game

Seasons. You can try this 1 at BGA now

GOSU. It plays best with 2,acceptable with 3 and scarily long with 4)

Tournay. I personally like this 1 quite a bit with 2~3. Haven't try 4 yet

edit : If it's how the dice are used in different situations/complexity in DR, rest assure that the dice rolling in Summoner Wars is easier than those of DR. You roll X dice, each 1 scoring a hit for 3+ (unless there's special ability), assign damage and you're done. Or maybe it's the luck expect of the dice that you don't like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mundus Novus
Mundus Novus

and

Eminent Domain (which has largely replaced RFTG for my group, since it has an easier learning curve, and flows better)
Eminent Domain

might work for you. They both feature strong mechanics that keep you involved in the game and make other players' actions relevant to you. Neither has a lot of "take that" interaction.

Also

Gloom
Gloom
Cthulhu Gloom

If your group has the right sense of humor. This one does have a lot of "take that" interaction.

You might consider Nighfall, but I'm not sure how well it plays with two, and it seems to be suffering from over-expansion-itus.
Nightfall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is basically a combination of deck building + role selection.

Race and Glory to Rome are also about role selection, though they are more complex to play.

I feel like any of these are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

Should've said I already own (and love) RftG, just looking for something with a bit more direct interaction.

Played a few games of Seasons on BGA over the weekend as this one is already on my radar...was fun but feel like the game might get samey?

Will keep searching
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age

Affordable, great art. Easy to learn PvP or Co-op.

Or...

Thunderstone Advance.

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C I T A D E L S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend Eminent Domain. I think this is exactly what you are looking for. It is very straight forward to learn. While I love RFTG, the iconography is often considered too overwhelming for beginners. I myself never saw it as an issue, but others in my gaming group do. As a result, ED finds its way to the table a lot more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red Dragon Inn fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up seems to fit your qualifications....
Mage Wars Arena also seems to be an upgrade to Summoner Wars
, but on a higher level, but it's only 2P...

Haven't played these yet of course, but they seem to be tons of fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Mage Wars Arena also seems to be an upgrade to Summoner Wars
, but on a higher level, but it's only 2P...

You will be able to play MW four player. It still has the dice aspect though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars looks really cool. I haven't played Blood Bowl: Team Manager, but it's on my list of games to get
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars looks very cool indeed. It has a spell book, with all the spells available and ready to cast! (as long you have mana) I think that's a neat idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
Eppic wrote:
C I T A D E L S

A big +1 from me for Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
+1 Race for the Galaxy - wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.