Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I played Magic a couple of years ago and now I have decided that I will keep only a couple of my decks and just sell the rest. I had a look and I don't see anything special in the rares so I was planning just to sell them as bulk.

Now what does one use as a guideline to set a prize? I seen rather a big difference in them. I have about 2500 cards: commons, uncommons, rare's and lands. Like I said nothing to special in there. What should I use as a prize for each card?

And if I would sell them? Should I sell them per color or just try to sell them all at once? I'm not looking to make a huge profit, just getting them out of the way and getting a small part of the investment I made in them back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably sell them as a bundle. Depending on the number of rares, you could probably get $50 for the lot. If there are any rares that are worth more than $5, you might want to sell those separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 4,400 commons and uncommon for $6.50 on eBay shipping was $15 . Total $21.50. I thought I got one hell of a deal. Item # 130740154390. If I was selling I would have wanted more than $6.50!
Advice wait for more advice in this thread. The man above has a better price expectancy. Be careful not to start too low on Ebay.
At least you have rares. Which might make a world of difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Probably sell them as a bundle. Depending on the number of rares, you could probably get $50 for the lot. If there are any rares that are worth more than $5, you might want to sell those separately.

Bingo.

You have to sort your cards out BEFORE you take them to sell them. You have to do all that leg work to find the gems. Otherwise, you're going to get an offer of a bulk deal.

"But there's a super awesome card in there!!!"

"Ok, then you take your time, sort through these 100,000 cards, store them, and slowly sell them over the course of years."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually could use some lands. Didn't get many with my purchase. Manly looking for lands with the symbols at the bottom.
What sets are your cards from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went through the process of selling about 7500 cards, and I netted about $175 from it. My MTG knowledge was pretty low going in. The first thing I did before selling them was separate all the rares from commons and uncommons. Then I went to the site MTGFANATIC.COM, clicked on BuyList, and used their tool to find the most expensive cards out of the lot of rares. I had one or two uber-cards that were in high demand, and I sold those on eBAY because I was hoping for frenzied buying. The other rares that MTGFANATIC priced relatively highly ($0.25 or more), I just sold to MTGFANATIC. Their buyback UI is very easy to use. You just click "Add To Cart", and can keep searching and adding cards as you go. I sold two big lots to MTGFANATIC, and they were accurate and fair with the price they quoted (they are picky about the cards they take back; must be in great condition). Plus, by using MTGFANATIC, I saved on eBAY's fees for that lot. Finally, I took the remaining cards, and sold them bulk on eBAY. People seem to care more about the color and set than the total number. So I did my best to estimate all of the sets and counts in my listings.

As far as prices you can expect, most rares are going to be valued at $0.08 - $0.50. A few could fetch more. Uncommons and commons are less than $0.01 per card, although I found that some of the classic cards from the earliest sets were worth more.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I already looked at all the cards rare cards that are worth more then 2 euro to buy them. Will take a look at the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dan_hnnng wrote:
I actually could use some lands. Didn't get many with my purchase. Manly looking for lands with the symbols at the bottom.

I have extra lands that I need to get rid of, just for the cost of shipping. I have over 1000 extra, but you may not need that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
dan_hnnng wrote:

I have extra lands that I need to get rid of, just for the cost of shipping. I have over 1000 extra, but you may not need that much.

I would have done that to, but shipping from america will be cheaper I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
dan_hnnng wrote:

I get paid on the 1st. I'll contact you. Could use about as many as you can fit in a small flat rate box + I'll give you a little extra cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Works for me. I will be out of town on the labor day weekend, so contact me after that and I'll get it sent out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Thanks, I already looked at all the cards rare cards that are worth more then 2 euro to buy them. Will take a look at the site.

You definitely will get less from MTGFANATIC than you would if you individually sold cards on eBAY, but the site's UI is so good it makes selling bulk cards to them quite easy. I was originally planning on just using their site to price my cards, but I decided that it was easier to use them to sell all my rares in bulk and just get done with it.

I forgot to mention that I sold a huge set of bulk commons on Craig's List. The shipping costs for huge bulk sets of commons is high enough to make Craig's List a decent option for the seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Sweet! another site for me to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MTGFanatic has a bit of a bad rep in the Magic community just a FYI... some complain of not getting checks for months when they've sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
MTGFanatic has a bit of a bad rep in the Magic community just a FYI... some complain of not getting checks for months when they've sold.

I did see these issues before selling, but no other site had a UI that was as easy to use and complete a huge sale like they did. I sold two bulk orders of 500+ cards to them, separated by about a month between sales. The first check came to me within a month of me shipping it, the second took about eight weeks. I emailed them when the second check was taking longer than the first, and they said they get tens of thousands of cards weekly, and it takes them awhile to catch-up on the orders sometimes because they have to sort through each order one card at a time to validate both condition and accuracy. That all sounded reasonable to me. So I guess if speed of payment is a big issue, than eBAY is the way to go. At no time, however, did I ever feel anything shady was going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always looking for bulk, as i'm a pauper collector. So when i buy collections, i take what i need and tend to sell the rest in small lots on ebay.

If your stuff is in English and you don't want the effort of using ebay, i might buy the lot off you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.