CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching CBS this morning, and they had a story about the Nebraska Betty Club. Where all the members were named Betty. Apparently, Betty was in the top 5 names in the 20-30's and then the name died off. But each year they get together for their annual Betty club convention. While I watched, I thought about the last BGG.CON and how most of it's members were in their 30-40's(and older). It's interesting that I see the same faces I've known for over a decade, first in their 30's now in their 40's. It made me wonder that in 30 years will we be that Betty club, where we gather, play games and tell about how which ones of us has passed this year.

Then I thought to myself, would that be so bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, becasue one day there will be no bettys in that club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not, but my sister's a Betty. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Betties have become Liz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
I'm not, but my sister's a Betty. :whistle:

Nobody under a certain age is going to get that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

Pics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Most Betties have become Liz.

My sister (Betsy) came back from college and told us she wanted to be called Liz. She may well have been the Last Betsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
tssfulk wrote:

Nobody under a certain age is going to get that one.

That's sad 'cause I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Betty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will stay at about the same age range, because the games are too expensive for your average 20 something, plus at that age you have more drinking and such to be doing instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:
I think it will stay at about the same age range, because the games are too expensive for your average 20 something, plus at that age you have more drinking and such to be doing instead.

I'm around 20, have quite a few friends my age that are into gaming, and aren't really fond of drinking alcohol and clubbing. Maybe it's different in different countries, or maybe it's just us, but in my social group and all those around me drinking doesn't seem to be an all time favorite as compared to sitting down in a cafe and chat whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
...I'm around 20, have quite a few friends my age that are into gaming, and aren't really fond of drinking alcohol and clubbing.

I'm somewhere between 60 and death, enjoy a drink, still smoke, have a wife who is 20 years younger than I and hope to be in Mike Chapel's Club in 30 years time.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think this perception strongly depends upon your social circle. Most of the gamers I have contact with are in their 20s.

As an aside, even if the "Betty club" characterization were true, I think the hobby would still last a long time. People in middle age and younger will probably live a lot longer than they expect. Most people know little to nothing about the pace at which biotechnology is advancing and haven't internalized the probable consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Sounds ideal to me. I will look up the legalities of changing my name to Betty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
genesyx wrote:
...I'm around 20, have quite a few friends my age that are into gaming, and aren't really fond of drinking alcohol and clubbing.

I'm somewhere between 60 and death, enjoy a drink, still smoke, have a wife who is 20 years younger than I and hope to be in Mike Chapel's Club in 30 years time.

Jim

Est. 1949

Hey, we could establish the O'Neill club here. I see you spell O'Neill correctly. That would be the prerequisite.

Thought you were my brother for a minute. His name is Jim also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:
...we could establish the O'Neill club here.

In 30 years time... how about the CoffinDodger Club? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the segment if anyone is interested.

See everyone at BettyGameGeek.CON 2042...If I'm still kicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
4th stringer wrote:

I'm around 20, have quite a few friends my age that are into gaming, and aren't really fond of drinking alcohol and clubbing. Maybe it's different in different countries, or maybe it's just us, but in my social group and all those around me drinking doesn't seem to be an all time favorite as compared to sitting down in a cafe and chat whistle

I'm not saying all 20 year olds do, but a much higher percentage of 20 somethings do than 30 somethings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:
genesyx wrote:
4th stringer wrote:

I'm not saying all 20 year olds do, but a much higher percentage of 20 somethings do than 30 somethings.

Actually there is a suprisingly high number of 20 somethings that do not drink alchol, or have fancy cars or any of the stuff we did in our 20's they have an increase in enivronmental awareness, a strong aversion to tobacco, and would rather buy games, both computer and board, good gaming computers, cell phones, then spend their money on something silly like cars, and booze. the chain smoking, booze swilling 20 something is now becoming a thing of the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We Are All Bettys And We'd Better Get Used To It!

MWChapel wrote:
I was watching CBS this morning, and they had a story about the Nebraska Betty Club. Where all the members were named Betty. Apparently, Betty was in the top 5 names in the 20-30's and then the name died off. But each year they get together for their annual Betty club convention. While I watched, I thought about the last BGG.CON and how most of it's members were in their 30-40's(and older). It's interesting that I see the same faces I've known for over a decade, first in their 30's now in their 40's. It made me wonder that in 30 years will we be that Betty club, where we gather, play games and tell about how which ones of us has passed this year.

Yes, it would, because by then, microchip-implanted tiles, cards, boards, and tokens will have long since become a thing of the past and even though not yet passe', even physical analog holosensor-implanted playing pieces, cards, and tiles used on holoboards will be subplanted by their holographic counterparts because by then, gaming holography will be able to offer some appreciable degree of tactileness and opaqueness that earlier versions lacked and thus cause their physical analog counterparts to be phased out over time.

Yes, by then, the Luddites will be those who cling to their physical analog holosensor-implanted game bits. The Cutting-Edge Folks will be those who prefer the tingly tactileness of holo bits and eschew physical analog game bits of any type.

But if you were to unveil a present-day board game still in pristine playable condition to those future folks of some 30 to 40 years from now, you'd be utterly dismayed by their whining about the fiddliness of handling archaic physical analog non-microchip- or non-holosensor-implanted game bits; having to actually place or move them; and having to tally their own scores. They would be entirely taken aback that their bioneutronic implants were useless and unable to transmit their choice of token movement or card play to a holoboard sensor array.

*But*, if you hold on to them long enough, those present-day board games of yours might come into vogue again, especially if the EMP-impacted world envisioned by the new NBC series "Revolution" should ever come about. (After all, I seriously doubt that future gaming technology will go to the expense of making its implanted microchips and holosensors electro-magnetic-pulse-proof.)

Yes indeed, current-day modern/Euro strategy games will provide a far more civilized outlet for meting out Justice than Thunderdome in the post-"Lights Out" world of "Revolution". And thus will begin BoardGamedom's 2nd Renaissance....

For more about NBC's new "Revolution" show, check out: http://www.nbc.com/revolution/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

… While I watched, I thought about the last BGG.CON and how most of it's members were in their 30-40's(and older).

It made me wonder that in 30 years will we be that Betty club, where we gather, play games and tell about how which ones of us has passed this year.

Ham radio rallies now seem to be mainly populated by the over 60s.

I don't think the same aging situation applies to the board games hobby - the age distribution you see is probably those who can afford the $ and time to get to a large con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel VandenBurg
United Kingdom
ISLEWORTH
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my female mmo chars are called Betty or betti. Can they join?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should form a tontine. Last one gets all the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:

There was a "Marvelous Marva" convention at the hotel my wife worked at back in 2000.

"Hey, what's Marva #23's last name?" asked one Marva...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.