Subject: Unholy Ritual rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Henrich
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Last night while playing the first encounter of Death on the Wing (4 heroes) I got to make great use of Unholy Ritual, but it lead to some questions.

1) What happens to the card after I've played it and drawn my cards, does it go into the discard right away?
2) Since it is still the beginning of my turn can I play other "Play this card at the start of your turn" cards that I drew off of it?
3) If yes on 2 is there any reason I can't play another Unholy Ritual targeting the same group or a different one? (And then play the first one again if I had to shuffle my discard and drew it?)
4) Not unholy ritual, but related: What happens to Dark Charm once it's played, does it go in the discard right away or does it stay in play until I've used the hero?
5) If I discard Dark Charm right away and I can play multiple Unholy Rituals, is there a rule that stops me from playing Dark Charm and then Unholy Ritual drawing my other Unholy Ritual (as it was the only thing in my discard before the Dark Charm was played) and then repeating infinitely? (We house ruled that Dark Charm stayed in play until the hero was activated.)

For reference this all came up because I just sat my cave spiders back at the end of the canyon tile and played Unholy Ritual on them to draw all of my overlord cards. And then since I was going to draw 5 (and keep 4) cards again tried to play at least 3-4 a turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimsonknave wrote:

3) If yes on 2 is there any reason I can't play another Unholy Ritual targeting the same group or a different one? (And then play the first one again if I had to shuffle my discard and drew it?)

If #2 is "yes", you still couldn't do this, at least not on the same group; you can't play the same card in the same situation targeting the same thing. So you can't play Unholy Ritual during the same "Start of Turn" twice targeting the same group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimsonknave wrote:
2) Since it is still the beginning of my turn can I play other "Play this card at the start of your turn" cards that I drew off of it?

A believe so. Playing one "start of turn" card doesn't stop you playing more "start of turn" cards. And dividing your hand into "cards you can and can't play" is tedious and fallible. AFAIK no D2e rule adds such a restriction.
Quote:

You would have to target a different group with the second Unholy Ritual. For each trigger (start of turn) you can only play one copy of each named card (Unholy Ritual) on each target (monster group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Henrich
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Good point, I wasn't really thinking of Unholy Ritual as 'being played on' the monster group, but it totally is.

So, at this point it looks like I could in theory play Unholy Ritual every turn if I get my discard down to enough that I draw last turn's Unholy Ritual. Which is pretty dangerous, but also very manageable for the heroes, as they can just kill whatever group I'm ritualing (the ones that will give me lots of cards are easy to kill) or I am paying a price since I actually want that group to be doing something in this encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think one Unholy Ritual is a great addition to any Overlord's deck, but I'd hesitate to add 2, since the cost can be very high--most of the time, you only have 2 or 3 monster groups to begin with, and hampering a large group of monsters by cutting their actions in half isn't something to take lightly.

The added card advantage is huge--especially compared to the other level 1 Magus card, which is flat out terrible--but taking two Unholy Rituals in the deck seems like overkill to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Henrich
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A Strange Aeon wrote:
I think one Unholy Ritual is a great addition to any Overlord's deck, but I'd hesitate to add 2, since the cost can be very high

True, I'll have to see how it plays out, it certainly won't be great in all situations, however since this campaign I've got 4 heroes drawing 5 and keeping 4 (in the ideal situation) is pretty compelling. I guess I get to find out how often it isn't really usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Oord
Netherlands
SNAKKERBUREN
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
(We're halfway the campaign, at the interlude)

Because my 3 player group is really kicking monster butt (they trash the first monster group in a scenario in 1 round, the cough dragons to death en kill puppies for breakfast) I really do not care about my monstrous troops that much. I play as much UR's asap, using the OL cards for reaching my goal before the heroes do.
Works great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happen if you play this card on a stun group to they get 0 action so they stay stun for one more round. We played it than it did not affect anything but I'm not sure about that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Morrison wrote:
What happen if you play this card on a stun group to they get 0 action so they stay stun for one more round. We played it than it did not affect anything but I'm not sure about that

If a monster is Stunned, and you play Unholy Ritual on that monster's group, here's how that would resolve:

1. You draw cards for Unholy Ritual.
2. When you activate that group, they only get one action.
3. When you activate that monster, it's only action is to remove Stunned.

Playing Unholy Ritual doesn't reduce the monster groups' actions to zero, it reduces it by one per monster. Similarly, Stunned only requires one action, not two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you that what we did! just wanted to be sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adny Riik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Crimsonknave wrote:
For reference this all came up because I just sat my cave spiders back at the end of the canyon tile and played Unholy Ritual on them to draw all of my overlord cards. And then since I was going to draw 5 (and keep 4) cards again tried to play at least 3-4 a turn...
One last thing to add - Unholy Rituall was errata-ed(?) - you only keep two cards, no matter the number of heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the errata, I wonder if there is any reason to have two Unholy Rituals in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.