United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick and speedy review.....?
I like this game. It is a good game. It's main strength is that each time you replay this game it gets deeper. Fantasy Flight are very good at creating games that are deep. Looking at a Fantasy Flight game, particularly one in the Twilight Imperium family is like looking at an Island from a boat. The boat is long way from the Island so the Island is beautiful green forest with an exotic outline of gold sand, all set in a back drop of pale clear blue skies and a sea so blue and clear you can see the golden sand on the bottom (you get the picture). But like a twilight series based game the closer you get to this island the more detail you can see. Some people like to look at this Island from their boats, they never get any closer, they just take in the peripheries and enjoy the panoramic view. Other people venture onto the island but take up safe refuge on the beach, having some access to the rain forest but always in easy reach of the sea for escape. Then there are those few who land on the islands shores, don their rucksacks, whip, hat and dodgy leather jacket then treck off into the jungle without looking back.
This island can be enjoyed at many different levels; likewise so can the Twilight Imperium games and REX is no exception!! REX is the kind of game that goes is as deep as the player is willing to go.

If I am being honest the first time I played REX I was left wondering and doubting; the game mechanics are simple and clear enough. The object of the game equally simple and clear but it wasn't quite clicking.....that buzz a game creates between players was lacking. I stubbornly decided to play the game a few more times and I have got to say the more you play it the better and better it gets. I now think it is an excellent game. The problem with early games is working out how all of the racial abilities and powers interact with and affect both the game mechanics and other players. On the first few plays it can be a little overwhelming as all the races between them have abilities that affect or change every aspect of the game for them and their allies. Sometimes working out how can be a little tricky and will dominate early games' conversations. Thank God for the FAQ realeased by Fantasy Flight!!!

We played through twice and it wasn't until the 6th round of the second game that it started to become the game that it has been designed to be; with rapidly changing alliances, skulduggery, backstabbing, manipulation and begging all puntuated by the lovely sound of combat and aerial bombardment!!!! [/center][/center]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool reading, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Stockburn
United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why alliances were breaking in our game....
Cards are drawn from the Influence Deck at the start of each round. Amongst these cards are opportunities for all players to make/break alliances between all players. The random nature of this deck means that in some games you can be changing alliances every second round and in other games you might get one or two chances to make and break alliances. Once you get to grips with the way the game is played you realise that making and breaking the right alliances determines the whole game. So for one easy example: allowing powerful recruiting and deploying races like SOL to stay in any alliance can cost you the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Stockburn
United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VladGoldakovsky wrote:
Okay, but can you be more specific about what can you do in such situation.

All players openly discuss with each other about who to make alliances with and why, once alliances have been decided and agreed upon. All the races have strong special abilities and these special abilities combine with other races special abilities in unique ways. Once the alliance card has been resolved all alliances are binding unless another opportunity comes along in a later round to remake/break alliances.

The Sol, for example are immune to the 'Sol Offensive', a card that detroys all troops and influence in designated board areas. Any ally with Sol also gains this immunity.

Lazax can make a lot of Influence (money) during the strategy card bidding phase. Influence (money) is something that can be in very short supply during this game. Being an ally with the Lazax basically means that they can fund your war effort by giving you Influece during the bidding phase every round.

Each player brings something strong to an alliance, its a case of working out how to use different combinations of abilties to stop other players from winning!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.