BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Is War of the Rings too Hard for Us? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My wife and I just started Euro Gaming with the family at the start of the summer and we all fell in love! We've been playing three to four times a week and it's just been absolutely great family time. The games we've been playing are Carcassonne with several expansions, Dominion, Alhambra, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, and Ticket to Ride Europe.

Now the kids are headed back to school and my wife and I want to continue gaming on the occasional days off when the kids are in school. I was looking for a 2 player game when I found War of the Rings. We are both HUGE LOTR fans so I thought this would be perfect. However, I see this is rated as a HEAVY game and all the games we've been playing are at best medium light. We're not afraid of fairly thick rule books and we're willing to invest the time to learn something if we like it, but I am afraid this may be a huge jump up from what we've been playing.

If you think WOTR is too tough, what fantasy themed 2p only games that don't take more than 3 hours should we be looking at? I did look at the reviews for Knizia's LOTR game and it seemed too simplistic. We do want something which is a step up in difficulty from the family games we've been playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the most complex game you've played? And what do you think of its complexity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a step up in complexity, but if you love LOTR and are searching for a 2-player game I whole-heartedly recommend Knizia's Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I think a lot depends on how competitive you are. The complexity of WotR comes from the many cards/special cases. If you're playing for the 'experience' it can be fun even if you mess up the rules while learning. If either of you really care about winning then that sort of thing can ruin it.

I really enjoy WotR. I rarely get to play. When it comes out, I play with a friend and we stumble through it. But we think of it as a way to view an alternative history LotR, not a war game. Put me in a game with the wrong person and we'd both end up hating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is very very good. In my opinion, it's not that hard to learn if you watch the 'box of delights' walkthroughs:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/17400/mage-knight-board-game/...

You can also watch this video series to see if this is something you might enjoy.

At the end of the day, if you're willing to spend the time and effort to learn a game I don't think the complexity will be a barrier. I haven't played War of the Ring but I don't think you necessarily need to work your way up to heavier games, it all depends on your motivation to learn it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be the first to say ... No way. Not that you aren't capable of learning WotR, but the games you currently enjoy are light. WotR is HEAVY. And Mage Knight? Really? If someone told me that she liked the Wii Fit, I would not suggest a decathlon.

WotR is a top ten game for me. If you're both super ambitious, go for it. It's kind of a big deal though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're both LOTR fans and both willing to take the time to play I say go for it. I think it's a great two player game. Don't let people tell you it's too hard or complex. To me it sounds like you're ready to make the leap and trust me it will be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're both really big fans of LOTR, that will go a long way towards overcoming the rules complexity. To see if the rules are too complex for you, you could download the rules and read them before you decide to buy. Here's the link:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/War%20of%20the...

By the way, it seems that Fantasy Flight Games has moved War of the Ring from their actively published games to their archive, which may mean that they aren't going to print it anymore. If you considering it, you might want to pick it up sooner rather than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest dungeon twister, defenders of the realm, summoner wars, battlelore, claustrophobia, thunderstone advance, heroscape, wrath of ashardalon, or return of the heroes.

If those leave you wanting a more involved game, WotR will still be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha. I guess maybe it won't still be there ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgill94 wrote:
that don't take more than 3 hours should we be looking at?

War Of The Ring certainly takes more than three hours, your first few games might even take five hours or such. And the heavyness of games is not only determined by it's rulecomplexity, but also by things as gamelength. I guarantee you'll be exhausted after your first game, but maybe that's just what you and the misses want ;-).

Take a look at this useful poll: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/512942/poll-the-real-playing...

Edit:
-Don't forget about setup-time, seting this beast up sure takes some time.
-Our weekly group of heavy gamers never plays this because it takes too long (since we only have 3 hours to spare).
-As a side-note, the dutch version says this game lasts 120 minutes, I don't know what they're smoking.
-There's a basic version included in the rules: it's very good, don't dismiss it.
-The game is very thematic, I feel like I'm some God looking at the world, and seeing the story of the war unfold before me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WotR is a huge step up. Take a look at this one:

Claustrophobia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I have never played War of the Rings. But just because it is considerably heavier than your typical games doesn't mean it might not be a good fit for you. You mentioned that you aren't afraid of a big rulebook. Maybe your collection needs a heavy game, if the theme is one you like.

My advice is to watch as many of the videos on BGG as you can find, especially the ones that show you some of the gameplay. This will help you decide if it is a good fit for you. I have purchased some games after watching these videos, and others I passed on. Also, if you go ahead and get the game, it should make the rulebook smoother for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 20 games of WotR, it still takes us three hours. We're a little slow, but your first games are likely to hit five hours as suggested above. Watching the videos is a great idea.

I'm just saying that it isn't something that a sane person would suggest for you GIVEN THE GAMES YOU LISTED. Same goes for Earth Reborn or Horus Heresy, which are pretty rad heavy hitters too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game? Plays great with two and steeped in LOTR theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it. Treat the first game as a learning experience for both of you and accept that there will be conflict. It is a "war" game after all. Make sure you both read the rules. I expect it will take a few hours for you both to finish and if this is not a problem then it should be loads of fun. The games thereafter will be really enjoyable and you can then try out your strategies. Your other games have been lighter so as you long as you both know that this is not a 45 minute game with no confrontation and that there will be rules exception, then it should be epic. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not hard to understand the game, it's just that it has quite a bit of rules. If you're truly motivated to learn the game I can confidently say without knowing anything about your gaming background that you can definitely handle it.

I'm sure there are things both of you have learned to do in your life that are harder than War of the Ring, or almost any board game, so it's more to do with mindset and whether you're interested enough. Being really into LOTR will definitely help a lot, both with understanding the rules (many of them are flavorful and intuitive in context of the LOTR universe) and in being interested enough to get through the first game.

You sound like the proper audience for it, so I say go for it. It's a masterpiece.

thdizzy wrote:

By the way, it seems that Fantasy Flight Games has moved War of the Ring from their actively published games to their archive, which may mean that they aren't going to print it anymore. If you considering it, you might want to pick it up sooner rather than later.

FFG published the first edition of the game. It's true that they don't print that anymore, but tt's now on the second edition, by Ares Games (released 2011)

frogmind wrote:
Not really a step up in complexity, but if you love LOTR and are searching for a 2-player game I whole-heartedly recommend Knizia's Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

this is also a great game, unfortunately it actually is out of print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
this is also a great game, unfortunately it actually is out of print

At least used copies can be had on the Market for $34-40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Fox
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a complex game, but not too complex. I play it regularly with my ten-year-old. It comes with player aids that help you with the rules, and after a game or two, you should be able to play it easily--and it's very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That poll puts it all in perspective. Sweet link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't think I'd get quite that many. The link to the rulebook was very helpful. It was certainly much denser than any rulebook we've tackled so far. It might take a few re-readings but I think we could figure it out. What gives me pause is the link to the poll about game length. Three hours seems to be on the optimistic side. The reality for us is a game which exceeds three hours would just have fewer opportunities to hit the table. So for now, I think we'll put it on hold. Hopefully, it won't go out of print!

I looked up each of the recommended games. Although it's not exactly what we're looking for, I think we'll give Claustrophobia a try. The beautiful components and the gorgeous minatures did it for me!

Thanks so much to you all for all your responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing the books makes the game at least three times easier to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is indeed complex, and after two.5 games (one had to be abandoned), I still have to check on some of the rules. That said, it's the single most rewarding game I've played, win or lose. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.