Subject: Cthulhu Dice - My thoughts after 24,623 games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Mather
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, so maybe I've only played 3 games, and it's been with my wife and my 2 yr old daughter and 4 yr old son.... but I'm still well versed!

So yesterday, I went in to the local game store (Gamer's Haven in Parma). That was my first time in the store at their "new" location (they probably moved 2 years ago). We were looking for the Quarriors Quarmageddon expansion...and my son was VERY interested in the large selection of dice. He had to make a judgement call between Cthuluhu Dice and a cube (maybe 16?) 12mm d6 dice....mom would have loved to bring home all those tiny dice (NOT!)...but it was his call. He opted for Cthulhu Dice...mind you at this point, I didn't even know this was a complete game. I just thought it was a supplemental die or some expansion for another game.

So we get it home, open it up (at an in-opportune time as explained below) and I start reading the directions. My first thought was "hey, this is like LCR" and after our three games, it still is like LCR. I was the only one who could decipher what was going on with the die, and the kids and wife just wanted to pick on me...so I was the target until I went insane...then I picked the person to their left. So there might be some level of strategy involved that was lost on this audience, but it was entertaining enough to have the die getting rolled and glass beads getting flung across the table right in the middle of dinner.

Did we have fun? YES! The kids had no clue what was going on, but they recognized they were rolling a crazy die with strange symbols on them and when they were done rolling, they either got a bead or had to give a bead. Mommy didn't pitch a fit about this happening during dinner (mind you she was rolling too)...so I would call that a success!

LCR seems to come out at about midnight at our house on party nights. At that point, the IQ of everyone in the house has been cut in half and managing to keep all the dice on the table is just as challenging as figuring out where to put your chip (or dollar as we are high rollers). So to try an explain the symbols to adults with the motor skills of my 2 yr old may not go over too well. That makes this a niche game that needs the perfect environment. Granted, I spent about $5 on it and wasn't expecting to get anything out of it but a 12 sided die and some glass beads. So this was a nice suprise.

The other downside is the name as "Cth" doesn't exist anywhere in the English language. The theme is completely unnecessary. Functionaly, it would have worked exactly the same if it was called "Fred Dice" and there was a picture of Fred, a wallet, a trash can, a dollar and a question mark....ok, so maybe I haven't thought that through all the way...but you understand what I'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
HappyKillmore wrote:
The theme is completely unnecessary. Functionaly, it would have worked exactly the same if......
This is true for pretty much all games, really... At least this theme has some history attached to it, in the form of fictional books.
-Wiki entry about Cthulhu-

So aside from the "Cth" part, did you and your family have enough of a good time enough to play it again? Or did you guys feel that the $5 would have been better spent on the D6 box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way this has been fun in my group is if it's an alternative to Quarters but the beverages stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheridan Kelly
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyKillmore wrote:
The other downside is the name as "Cth" doesn't exist anywhere in the English language.

No idea what "LCR" is, but "Cth" is a strange reason to not like a game - especially as it exists in the word "Cthonic":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthonic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.