Subject: Supporting Units and flank to flank contact. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Wilson
United Kingdom
Bakewell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Just had an excellent first game - fast, suitably Dark Ages heroically bloody and great fun. The rules flowed well and were highy intuitive after a couple of turns. I learned the tip on page 39 the hard way and lost a couple of skirmish units very early and so lost two of my leadership points!

One question that came up was what happened to supporting units when the unit they were supporting lost and had to fall back 1/2 BW. We played it that they stayed in position but wondered if they should also have to fall back.

Another question that arose was when two enemy units ended up flank to flank contact facing in opposite directions. It didn't seem right to allow one to turn first and flank the other (they were each just behind the other's front line) so we just had them move front to front in the next move.

Would appeciate your thoughts Dan.

Great rule set!

Thanks

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Support question: p36,'they are not affected if the target unit is forced to retreat.'

Flank contact: p31, showing that only one unit would turn with the rules as written. If you prefer the way you played it, please continue as you were ... These aren't intended as a set of rules that 'must' be played as the designer intended, but are intended to give you a game that you enjoy as you wish.

Thanks for the questions, if you get a chance to write up your battle and post it here, I'm sure people would be very interested in it. Feel free to rate the game too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, what armies did you go with for your first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wilson
United Kingdom
Bakewell
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply Dan.

The armies we used were middle eras Romano British ( 3 noble cavalry including companions, 4 shieldwall and 2 foot skirmishers) and Saxons (Warrior companions, 2 noble warriors, 5 warriors and 2 foot skirmishers). I gave the Saxons 6 leadership points and the Romano-British 8 points. The figures were actually drawn from 15mm Normans and Saxons on 40mm bases as I have yet to paint my 28mm Saxons!

Regards,

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.