Subject: New to Atlanta rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to find some new gaming buddies... I'm interested in existing regular groups near Vinings, hosting something regular (I have a decent collection and a separate gaming area), and/or traveling anywhere in the area to play a few games I own but are tough to get on the table: Twilight Imperium, Descent, Battlestations, Rune Wars, Starcraft the Boardgame and a few others....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, any family-friendly gaming groups would be a big interest as well. My wife likes gaming when other women are involved... But now we have a 8mo old to work around if she is playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a group that meets every Saturday at the Boulevard Diner in Norcross. Usually a good-sized crowd, very welcoming, very family-friendly, and definitely some folks who would be glad to play the games you mentioned.

There's also Secrets Factory -- I haven't been to this one, but it's very close to you and I hear good things, so maybe check it out.

Welcome to Atlanta!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome to Atlanta! My gaming group meets about every week in Johns Creek and wives are very welcome (but seldom actually end up playing for some reason...). We have a four month old little dude and getting both of us to the table is a challenge these days (unless its 1on1 Castles of Burgundy at naptime!)

Every Thursday is board game night at FCB Cards and games and the selection looks to be right up your alley (lots of thematic games like the ones you mentioned). Personally, my group plays more euros and economic games. PM me if your interested and I'll include you in our texts.

blake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
League of Extraordinary Gamers, hosted by Richard Launius in Alpharetta. The next one is Saturday Sept 29, 9AM-Midnight. (Usually 40+ folks). More details tend to show up closer to the event.

Richard tries to host an event every month, but the summer usually doesn't work out that well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peace
United States
Villa Rica
Georgia
flag msg tools
Rolling for Change Podcast
badge
"I'm not screwed. I'm beyond screwed. Screwed is sitting across the room, waving at me, and saying, 'Hi! Glad I'm not you!'"
mbmbmbmbmb
Secrets Factory is my go-to gaming group. The Sunday meetup at Mazzy's would be best for your longer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpeace wrote:
Secrets Factory is my go-to gaming group. The Sunday meetup at Mazzy's would be best for your longer games.

Kirk: As I mentioned in my private message, I agree with Brian here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be a little more clear: I like pretty much all euro board/card games, but I'm generally not going to want to travel too far away for a game night... unless it is one of the more difficult games to get together for (the longer games I mentioned) and then driving a ways is an option.

Sounds like I have a lot of options here, thanks for everybody's help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live relatively close to Vinings, and indeed the closest groups are still a decent drive away. (about 20-30 minutes to get to Secrets Factory meetups) Let me know if you do pull something together at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good info!

I am driving cross country with my son next week, relocating to the Atlanta area. I hope to stay near work, so likely will find a house to rent in (or very near) Peachtree City. I look forward to hitting some of these spots once my wife and daughter join us and we get settled in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like to drive, don't move to Atlanta. The city is really spread out and any kind of public transport is a joke at best.
We've got a huge number of gamers but we're all pretty spread out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i3ullseye wrote:
All good info!

I am driving cross country with my son next week, relocating to the Atlanta area. I hope to stay near work, so likely will find a house to rent in (or very near) Peachtree City. I look forward to hitting some of these spots once my wife and daughter join us and we get settled in.

Dave, you should know that the OP is moving to the north side of the city, so the groups and events in this thread are located up that way. You'll be a ways to the south of the city, so you should seek out some groups on the south side. There are some, but since that's not my area, I won't try to cover them here. Others who are in that area should be able to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SWAG meets monthly on Saturdays south of ATL; that should be a good starting point.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/allSWAG/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: http://atlantagamefest.com/

Twice (and likely 3x, if this was the last GFS in Chattanooga) a year board-gaming non-convention (no organized events, just bring 'em and play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Finn
United States
flag msg tools
We have a nu,ber of groups that meet regularly at Giga-Bites Cafe, you can usually organise on the forums there at www.gigabitescafe.com/forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for some TI (Smyrna)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Tinkham
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorbin13 wrote:
League of Extraordinary Gamers, hosted by Richard Launius in Alpharetta. The next one is Saturday Sept 29, 9AM-Midnight. (Usually 40+ folks). More details tend to show up closer to the event.

Is this still happening? I find myself in Atlanta for the next week and a half and would love to get some gaming in this weekend. I haven't found any further information than this though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bedell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tinkha wrote:
dcorbin13 wrote:

Is this still happening? I find myself in Atlanta for the next week and a half and would love to get some gaming in this weekend. I haven't found any further information than this though.

It *is* happening. Geek mail me with an email address and I'll forward the invite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Looking to find some new gaming buddies... I'm interested in existing regular groups near Vinings, hosting something regular (I have a decent collection and a separate gaming area), and/or traveling anywhere in the area to play a few games I own but are tough to get on the table: Twilight Imperium, Descent, Battlestations, Rune Wars, Starcraft the Boardgame and a few others....

Welcome! I'm in the Vinings area too. I go to Secrets Factory occasionally, but I also go to a couple in-town groups as well. I'll second (or third) the endorsement of the Launius gamedays- they're a great chance to try new stuff, meet new gamers, and get a LOT of gaming in. Meetup is actually used a lot around here. Check these two out:
http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-ITP/
http://www.meetup.com/SecretsFactory/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

Welcome! I'm in the Vinings area too. I go to Secrets Factory occasionally, but I also go to a couple in-town groups as well. I'll second (or third) the endorsement of the Launius gamedays- they're a great chance to try new stuff, meet new gamers, and get a LOT of gaming in. Meetup is actually used a lot around here. Check these two out:
http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-ITP/
http://www.meetup.com/SecretsFactory/

I did not know about Boardgames-ITP, thanks, I have joined!

Noticed your username: any chance you are a fellow GT graduate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, any chance I can get info on the League meetup thing? How does one get informed of this in the future also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Secrets Factory, and add that I've seen them play TI3 and also Die Macher, so there are certainly folks there that are not intimidated by longer games. Best way to do these is to post on their forums and arrange them in advance if it's going to be an all-day sort of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Leach
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep a schedule and directory of Atlanta area game meetups on my company's website. I also send the calendar via email as part of our Monday newsletter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.