Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which Card building game ( Rune Age, Thunderstone Advance, Nightfall ) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello guys i started many threads about games, but igot nice answers and got Descent 2ed and Lord of the Rings Card Game thanks to you, my hunger for adventure will be sated by MAge Knight ( again thanks to you ) and now i want to decide which deck bulding game will be great for me. This game will round up nicelly my game collection.

So obviously a really like fantasy setting

Rune Age: Not many reviews ( few video ones ), some people love it and some are neutral and call yet anothe deck building card game, but after my research it seem like the best one, lots of options, great pvp combat, 4 scenarios

Nightfall: maybe the weakest of the bunch, you have to attack ( almost no decisions ), dont really like the artwork

Thunderstone Advance: great game, many positive reviews, still rune age seems better with its mechanics

did i forgot some game? ( not Dominion )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension is much better than Thunderstone IMO. I haven't played Rune Age, so I can't comment on that one. Nightfall has plenty of decisions. I still haven't decided how good it is, but I like it better than Thunderstone. To be fair, I've never played Thunderstone: Advance, but it doesn't look like they fixed my core complaints, so I doubt the new version will change my mind.

Another possible option is Puzzle Strike. It is much more confrontational than most deck building games, and I really enjoy the dynamic strategy. The 3rd edition is coming out soon, and you can try playing it online at Fantasy Strike for free. I'm not sure if it fits your theme requirement though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Top 10 Deckbuilding Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
If you want something a little lighter..Smash up! is always an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ascencion seems too simple
Smash up :)

It seems i need someone who played Rune Age and some other card building games to gave me advice, is there someone guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Rune Age. I've played (and own) all these. I love ascension, and am Luke warm to Nightfall and Thunderstone.

However, I love Rune Age for the reasons you listed. The ability to play pvp, or co-op, depending on the scenario chosen. The theme is fantasy and I actually like the Terrinoth setting. Plus, the expansion is coming soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
bendercz wrote:
Ascencion seems too simple
Smash up

It seems i need someone who played Rune Age and some other card building games to gave me advice, is there someone guys?

That would probably be as I've played a ton of deck building games. I love the genre and it scratches that CCG itch. Nightfall is one of the few I haven't played. I should probably give it a go as it's .99 on iOS right now.

Anyways, I think Ascension's really good and a lot deeper than you give it credit for especially with the latest expansion. There are a lot more choices in that one and the game is faster.

I have Rune Age and I want to get rid of it if you want to buy a slightly used copy. I like the idea of different factions and the fact that there's PVP and different scenarios, but for some reason, the game didn't click for me. There's something missing but I can't figure out what. I think the expansion will fix that in adding more cards, but I doubt I'll pick it up to find out.

Thunderstone's rather blah. I can't stand Dominion and it's a Dominion clone, but my problem aside from that is your cards can't do things without other things. You have to have heroes for weapons and your heroes have to meet the requirements for said weapons. Much like Resident Evil where you need bullets for your guns and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age is the best of the 3 you have listed. I enjoy them all, but Rune Age feels deeper than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! Rune Age seems like the best choice for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune age and nightfall are the best two. Nightfall definitely has strategy - see this great review: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/10772/voice-of-experience-...

Ascension is the best though, since it has the most and the best expansions. It is literally awesome and great fun - by far most fun.

Rune Age has lots of potential but here too expansions are necessary and the first is (nearly?) out.

For what it's worth, the three games are very different:

Rune Age is a game with limited replayability for this kind of game, but the scenarios the game comes with are its strengths as well.

Ascension is a great deck building game that is absolutely a blast to play - I have only played on the iOS but have got over a 1000 games under my belt (I log them).

Nightfall is a deck building game in which interaction is key - you need to literally kill each other so its attack attack attack - very in your face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Ascension, but it is more a mechanic driven game than thematic (though it has some of the best artwork I have seen in ANY game).

I play Rune Age with my son, who dislikes Dominion, but he loves Rune Age. The PvP combat is cool, the scenarios really make the game shine. It should be noted that the four races do play very differently from each other, and though the card pool is shallow, that's because they believe in quality over quantity. Each card has a specific function. I think the reason some people dislike the game is because when you pick a race, you really don't have varying strategies with that races cards. You basically play each race the way they were intended to be played. It's not like you *combine* races to get different synergies. Each scenario gives you a common pool of three different cards to choose from, but this isn't enough to give you varying strategies.

The expansion is currently only available at Gen Con, but that must mean it should hit retailers in a month. It introduces two new races, plus two different cards for each current race. Whether this will help with varying strategies within each race, I don't know. New scenarios also.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Rune Age
+1 Thunderstone Advance (played it again with my 7 year old daughter, just great)
-1 Nightfall (just random chaos with those chain combos, I don't like it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, there seems to be lots of different opinions on those games, this will be very hard to choose i though Thunderstone Advance will get more love and i didn´t know that Ascencion has so many fans. I will need to get into Ascencion more a do more research, thanks for you answers guys, keep it coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to find its down to personal preference with Deck Building games, peoples opionions vary a lot for most of the deck builders.

For me i have played all the follwoing and rate them as (with the top being my favourite);

Ascension (expansions add more and are cool)
Thunderstone
Rune Age (to me felt like it was missing something, felt a bit meh)
Nightfall

Not strictly deck builders, a fun card game played on a board is Summoner Wars. or Lord of The Rings LCG.

Ha ha just like adding to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
I seem to find its down to personal preference with Deck Building games, peoples opionions vary a lot for most of the deck builders.

For me i have played all the follwoing and rate them as (with the top being my favourite);

Ascension (expansions add more and are cool)
Thunderstone
Rune Age (to me felt like it was missing something, felt a bit meh)
Nightfall

Not strictly deck builders, a fun card game played on a board is Summoner Wars. or Lord of The Rings LCG.

Ha ha just like adding to the mix.

LotR LCG i allready have :)
Summoner Wars i will buy in the future

But i just can´t decide on those deckbuilders, Thunderstone Advance was long time favorite, but then i discovered Rune Age, bad thing is, that i can´t try before buys, so i am making lots of treads about games and do massive research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Thunderstone game on Facebook, if you are on Facebook you can give it a whirl, not sure ifts in been updated to Thunderstone Advance at all, but it does give you an idea of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geschichte wrote:
Rune Age is the best of the 3 you have listed. I enjoy them all, but Rune Age feels deeper than the others.

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
geschichte wrote:

Agreed!

Agreed BUT it has the least variety.

As a 2 player game I like Ascension best. For 3-4 players I would suggest Thunderstone Advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall is terrible multiplayer, because people will randomly attack the person they think is strongest, or best at the game even if they're not winning.

Having not played Ascension or Rune Age, I recommend TSA, because it's a fun, strategic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think either TSA or Rune Age will be a fine choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
There is a Thunderstone game on Facebook, if you are on Facebook you can give it a whirl, not sure ifts in been updated to Thunderstone Advance at all, but it does give you an idea of the game.

Thanks! I tryed it and i didn´t really like it :( . Do you think that i don´t like Thunderstone or deckbuilding in general? I really need advice from you guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bendercz wrote:
tqboz wrote:

Thanks! I tryed it and i didn´t really like it . Do you think that i don´t like Thunderstone or deckbuilding in general? I really need advice from you guys

Apparently the implementation sucks, but I strongly dislike Thunderstone as well (played face to face only twice - two games that is - and some 15 games on FB - I recently dl-ed the new iOS version of the FB game and deleted after taking a two minute look at it - I just couldn't face it - no interest whatsoever). It just doesn't live up to the fun you expect to have from such games.

If you have iOS I would strongly recommend you to get Ascension/Nightfall but I'm guessing you don't.

Anyway, no, I don't thnk you need to give up on deck building in general. Ascension, with repeated play, which you'll surely get if you make the purchase WILL be a success (I've read many reports of people who bought Ascension, kinda liked it, and then ended up becoming HUGE fans, with it becoming their most played game.

Nightfall is somewhat more problematic in that there is division among its players. It has very strong interaction, and some people don't cope with it. As you can read from the person above - I had the same issue against the iOS AI - I kept losing because the AI would target me. I realized after many games that it's often better to take out a player completely - but then you have the quintessence of strong interaction - player elimination. It's fun and fast though, so if you can stomach the interaction and how everything is intertwined, then you should enjoy this.

Rune Age for me is the most difficult to recommend. It really doesn't have much variation, nor replayability. It's fun and perhaps with the expansion it's worthwhile, and owning it I am not disappointed, but at the same time it's far from a perfect game - it's simply missing too much. If you've done your research you'll also find that the Elves - one of the four factions - are simply broken and will lose you the game 99% of the time. Yes, there are workarounds, but they require too much effort and luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a tread like this one, you will always read pros and cons... in general just check the average rating for a game here on the Geek, and make a decision. For me, Thunderstone Advance, Rune Age, Arcana (revised edition), or Omen: Reign of War are all great games, which I enjoy a lot. A good indication is when many people rate a game a 10. (of course) I mostly base my next game that I will buy on the reviews and ratings.

Choosing a game is very personal, so read the reviews/watch youtube, follow your gut, and take the plunge. don't fret to much over each minor preference of this player or that player, otherwise it will be difficult to pick a game... just see the total picture.

I personally like the browsing/exploring/reading/watching research part before a buying new game.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:
In a tread like this one, you will always read pros and cons... in general just check the average rating for a game here on the Geek, and make a decision. For me, Thunderstone Advance, Rune Age, Arcana (revised edition), or Omen: Reign of War are all great games, which I enjoy a lot. A good indication is when many people rate a game a 10. (of course) I mostly base my next game that I will buy on the reviews and ratings.

Choosing a game is very personal, so read the reviews/watch youtube, follow your gut, and take the plunge. :) don't fret to much over each minor preference of this player or that player, otherwise it will be difficult to pick a game... just see the total picture.

I personally like the browsing/exploring/reading/watching research part before a buying new game.

Good luck!

Thanks! I like this part too, but i hate when there isn not much material to research ( Rune Age ), i am glad that i tryed Thunderstone on facebook, it seems it is not my thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.