Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend with whom I have logged at least 50 plays of a two player game. It works fine. The only comment I would make is that the game loses some tension with fewer players. There is less competition for city quarters and, generally speaking, you aren't overlapping strategies, so you can take your time (ha ha!) about reaching your goals. With 3+, it becomes more important to fight for turn order so you can get the things you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is less tension in the city quarters as far as space, but there is more pressure there as you have to try to keep pace. Macao is outstanding with 2, 3, or 4p, but most of my plays are 2p against my buddy Bob. He loves it as much as I do and when you have two players that know how to play, it can be an awesome experience. It's my number 1 game with good reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My SO and I love this game as two player! I recommend playing with the variations listed on the back of the rules, they add a little bit more to the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Don't hesitate to pick this up even if you'll only ever play 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Very good match in terms of depth versus time to play. It's one of my favorites. It does lose something from 3 or 4 players, but it's still a very good game with 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your opinions. I am trying to decide whether or not to buy this game and whether I should buy this game or Trajan. Either game will be for 2 players most of the time. Any opinions from someone who has played both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Trajan on order and am really really looking forward to it, but can't give you an informed opinion yet. All I can tell you is that Macao is my very favorite game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer2C wrote:
Thanks for your opinions. I am trying to decide whether or not to buy this game and whether I should buy this game or Trajan. Either game will be for 2 players most of the time. Any opinions from someone who has played both?

Both scale well regardless of the number of players. I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Personally, I think Macao has more replay value. If I remember correctly, there are 78 cards in the deck and 52 come out every game. The order they come out is random every time, so your choices are never really the same. We played again tonight and nearly every choice was met with agony.

Trajan is still a very deep game, so I don't want to short change it, but randomness in game setup is less significant. The decision tree is still both very wide and deep and I certainly won't claim to have mastered the game. But after about 10 plays, there is some sense in which I feel like there aren't many surprises left in the game. I still love it and see it hitting the table regularly, but if I were stranded on a desert island and had to pick only one, Macao would be higher on the list.

(Also, as an aside, if you are a person who likes playing with variants, Macao is more fun to tinker with. Sometimes we take extra cards to make the game harder or we will make custom decks so we can force certain combinations onto the table. I don't see many opportunities for "let do things this way instead" with Trajan.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Macao with two almost exclusively. It's one of my 10's for that reason. Like someone said above, once you have two of you who play and enjoy it, it is quite intense and it moves VERY quickly. A two player game with my friend Timm takes about 45-50 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played with 2, and love the game. It seems that the downtime with 3 or 4 would be an issue, but haven't done it so could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with 3 sometimes and doesn't seem to extend the playing time very much. Haven't tried with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster who says the 2p game flies along with two knowledgeable players. The last time we played, we did a best-of-3 and the 3 games took us about 3.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much experience with this game but I have enjoyed it quite a bit with 2 players. I was teaching it to a friend and I activated a card that let me move up on the wall any time I was behind. Due to this my friend decided to concede the wall to me and use his cubes elsewhere. Maybe that was a bad decision on his part but removing the tension of the wall from the game made it a little less enjoyable. I'm not sure if this would have happened with experienced players or if there are other cards that play differently with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a few games where I totally concede the wall. Sometimes it works out. Other times I get screwed by having to take a card that totally rots because there was one good one and 3 crap ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.