Hide
4 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Variants

Subject: Capacity Markets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the geniusboy
msg tools
Has anyone ever played a variant with a capacity market - where you could sell excess capacity to other players, to power their cities? It sounds like a rather simple addition that would be in line with the way that power markets operate these days.

Say, host a market for excess capacity after the fuel-buying phase or before the city-powering phase, agreeing verbally to pay other players to power cities for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Like any other Klingon: looking for a worthy opponent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting concept. Would other players bid on the energy or buy it at a set price? Also, if someone had extra energy and he had sold energy earlier in the game, would he be required to sell that energy? I could see this being a real screw-over at game's end if someone else became reliant on others' energy.

Also, any more thought as to which step this would take place.

Your concept would work well with the Funkenschlag: Speicherkraftwerk expansion.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lanning
United States
Ossian
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Rorschach says "FEED ME!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It could also be advantageous to unload unused energy when replacing power plants. A bit of an "out" for noob energy management. Not that I've ever made that mistake. HA!blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the geniusboy
msg tools
I haven't put too much thought into it, but off the top of my head:

After buying fuel, allow anyone to offer energy into a market. Let the plant owners list a price, and the number of units of power they're willing to supply at that price. Each unit of power is an available contract for the current turn only. Order the capacity contracts by price, and set them on the table. Then, in reverse player order, participants buy units of power off of the market until they have their fill. Return unbought contracts to the market participants, and have each player reimburse the other players for the contracts that they bought.

When cities are powered and players are reimbursed in the next phase, contracted power can be used in place of burning fuel. Those selling contracts for power have to power their own cities plus the power they are contracted to sell. If you have 17 capacity, 15 cities, and you sold contracts for 4 units of power, you can only power 17-4=13 of your own cities, and you have to expend fuel for 13+4=17 cities.

I hadn't considered long-term contracts like you mentioned (multiple-turn contracts), but that seems very interesting to me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.