BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games to play with my fiancee? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I have quite a large amount of games to play with my geek friends, you can check my owned list, but they don't fit for playing with my girlfriend since she is not a geek and not much into gaming.
We have played Settlers and Citadels couple of times and Discworld maybe once. She liked those, then we tried civilization and she got bored pretty quickly and could not play it.
I understand that people have different levels of concentration and so on.
What games can I play with her so they are not too hard on her, and at the same time not too bland for me? How can I introduce new games to her the way that she might like them?
I have ordered Battlestar Galactica also, she might like that, as the mechanics is neat and not hard, but can't play that with two.
Also if at all possible, those games should have little text, as she is not good with english unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Hays
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Voley wrote:
So, I have quite a large amount of games to play with my geek friends, you can check my owned list, but they don't fit for playing with my girlfriend since she is not a geek and not much into gaming.
We have played Settlers and Citadels couple of times and Discworld maybe once. She liked those, then we tried civilization and she got bored pretty quickly and could not play it.
What games can I play with her so they are not too hard on her, and at the same time not too bland for me? How can I introduce new games to her the way that she might like them?
I have ordered Battlestar Galactica also, she might like that, as the mechanics is neat and not hard, but can't play that with two.
Also if at all possible, those games should have little text, as she is not good with english unfortunately.

What about Carcassonne + some expansions? The best ones are all in the Carcassonne Big Box. Or a version of Ticket to Ride that's not the base game (like Europe or Marklin)? Or maybe a pick up and deliver train game like one of the Mayfair crayon rail games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Me thinks you're on the wrong site for asking about games to be playing with your fiance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves:

Carcassonne + many expansions
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Settlers of Catan
Lemonade Stand
Zooloretto is up her street
Farmageddon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Jaipur or Finca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy games that are fun:
Vegas
King of Tokyo
The Dwarf King
Guillotine
Balloon Cup (best game for 2)

... after you get married you can start into the 3hr+ gamesdevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's favorite games are

Hey, That's My Fish

Forbidden Island

Battlestar Galactica (but be careful here, it is long and best with 5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Finca

Trollhalla-this game is great fun at all player counts. Don't know why it doesn't get more love!

Cartagena-race to the boats!

Pickomino-a fun push your luck dice game with a twist.

Kingdom Builder-my non-gamer husband's absolute favorite. We've played over 150 times, at least half of those 2p. Never get tired of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just introduced my girlfriend to tales of Arabian nights. She is a big fan of it, especially when I got enslaved and had to give her my treasures

It's a great recommend if u want a themey fun game rather than dry mechanical styley!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
My wife's favorite games are

Hey, That's My Fish

Forbidden Island

Battlestar Galactica (but be careful here, it is long and best with 5)

I should add that, since you're getting BSG anyway, if you want to try it with the fiancee, consider the Ultra Short Variant. It loses a bit of the strategy, forcing Cylons to show their hands earlier, but is great for introducing the game, and plays very well with 3 players in about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Jaipur, Carcassonne and Finca. Great games!

Tales of the Arabian Nights is a great story-telling game, but it's very language dependent, so it likely wouldn't work.

A few other language independent games (not counting the rules) that may work are Masons, Pergamon, Two by Two, Coloretto and Dragonheart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
I say break out the Pandemic and Forbidden Island, since you already have those on your list, and add a few filler games like Zomie Dice, Martian Dice and Seven Dragons. Then you can add Zooleretto to the mix, if not earlier. These are the staples at our table and my wife enjoys them. Then we occassionally break out bigger games like Arkham Horror, Last Night on Earth and Touch of Evil

If she gets the gaming bug by then, introduce her to bigger games but show her videos of them first to see if she's interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line
Thurn and Taxis
Aton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potion-Making: Practice. Works great with 2-6 players and it being a Russian game should get around the language barrier. It's pretty easy to play and has always been a hit with the ladies when I brought it to the table.

I also second Ticket to Ride: Europe, Zooloretto and Pickomino or King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Coolhand" Luke
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the games that have gone over well with my fiance (she is open to gamer games, but gets bored by spreadsheet games and we havn't yet tried anything too nerdy yet like Arkham Horror).

Games that went over real well:
Mr. Jack in New York - (our current favorite, as it's 1 v 1, with a smooth game/deduction engine)
Jaipur
Carcassonne

Games that went over ok:
Agricola
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voley wrote:

Civilization and Battlestar Galactica are both a lot heavier than Citadels, Discworld and Settlers. Maybe you should be trying lighter games? Even if Battlestar Galactica seems easy to you, it is actually pretty complex to most people.

Maybe try:
- Ticket to Ride
- Hive
- Lost Cities
- Forbidden Island (or some other light coop, like Castle Panic)

for starters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give The Castles of Burgundy a try. Has gone over well with my wife.
Otherwise Le Havre is pretty easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.