Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I wonder how language-dependent Space Cadets will be. Does anyone who played a prototype know?

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say low. There are only a few cards that have English on them:

- Damage cards (usually 2-3 visible at any time)
- Experimental Equipment (special abilities for the captain - 4 cards for the whole game)
- Enemy special abilities (usually 2-3 visible at any time)

All of these are laid out in front of the players so they can be discussed and looked up in a translation if necessary. It's not like everyone has a hand of seven cards with different text on it. Everything with text is open.

The included rules are English-only.

All components in the 'timed' portions of the game (shields, jump, weapons, etc) are language neutral.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply, Geoff. I am looking forward to trying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Untergeher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Geoff: Are there any plans of translating the game into German? Or maybe even publishing a multilingual edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
push... Would also like to know if there will be a German version down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure. I'll have to check with Stronghold to see how these things are usually handled.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel666 wrote:
I wonder how language-dependent Space Cadets will be. Does anyone who played a prototype know?

Besides the cards texts, there are some textual rules reminders and named play areas on the station boards. I think at least captain and helm should be at intermediate level, and it doesn't hurt if sensors and engineering know a word or two. Shields, Jump Drive, Weapons and Tractor Beam can survive without a word (beyond their station names). Damage Control can delegate the reading of damage cards to the captain (not a timed phase) and needs to know no more than success (green, juhu) and failure (red, auweia). Knowing port from starboard is a plus, but you can simply match the directions visually if - like me - you have no idea which of them is left or right.

I second Geoff's assessment that you can manage the game with little to no English skills if you have rules and cards translations at hand, but I don't think a German edition would be a wasted effort (Pegasus? Heidelberger? push-push).

P.S.: In Essen I had the honor to serve alongside two fellow TU Vienna graduates, an Irish shield officer and a German helmsman under the command of an English captain who spoke what I believe is Queen's English. It was a lovely experience, but now I'm afraid that my next session will feel like watching a dubbed movie after you've seen the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal vE
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Andreas: lol^^

@topic: any news / chance for a translated manual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one would love to get this game in German. I'm pretty sure I could make it work in English with most of my folks but it wouldn't be as convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.