17 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: After first play having trouble with Places rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fano Pratchett
United States
flag msg tools
Places. We're trying to figure out all the Places.

A friend just got his game. We spent time going over the rules and did the walkthrough. He's serious, and this is a pretty heavy game.

Information is kind of scattered. My question here is about the place descriptions, etc.

Is there one place in the rules or anywhere that really tells about the places what's there and limits on what you can do, or do you just have to go through everything and learn about everythng when they crop up as you go along in the game?

We can see that we have to focus on what the cards say, and they have a decent design. Game's logical it's just a lot to take in the first time.

We'd appreciate suggestions about places and ANYTHING to make the second round better.

The good news is that we didn't get totally slaughtered first time out. But we did take our share of damage. Didn't win. It was a good game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
The information is there, just a bit scattered. I recommend these three fan made resources:

Mage Knight Reference Sheet
Mage Knight Index
Mage Knight Player Aid

The first two should assist you with your question, the third just because I found it helpful when first learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kring wrote:
Is there one place in the rules or anywhere that really tells about the places what's there and limits on what you can do, or do you just have to go through everything and learn about everythng when they crop up as you go along in the game?

All of the rules for each site are on the card for that site. There's a file on BGG that has all of the site descriptions printed out on two sheets, if you find them easier to scan that way than looking through the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really wonder why a lot of people have problems with remembering the rules of the different locations.
The small reference cards tell you everything what you can and what not on a location. Whats the reward and other special things. So I dont have everything in my head, but a quick glance at the reference card is all I need if a location pops up.

If you need the information in text layout or more precisely, refer to the tutorial, every standard location is explained there very well.
But as I said, I think everything is covered on the small reference cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on using the included reference cards.

If you start printing out play aids it will increase the footprint of the game with things that you won't need after you play a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fano Pratchett
United States
flag msg tools
eracer68 wrote:
The information is there, just a bit scattered. I recommend these three fan made resources:

Mage Knight Reference Sheet
Mage Knight Index
Mage Knight Player Aid

The first two should assist you with your question, the third just because I found it helpful when first learning the game.

Thanks for these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the rules are not on the cards. Just short descriptions, no detail. For people who do not play all the time and weeks or months can go by without playing the game, the cards are not usually adequate. For the most part I use the site descriptions in the Walkthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fano Pratchett
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tips. I'll concentrate on the reference cards and some of the player aids.

We'll keep playing to learn more. I like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:
All of the rules are not on the cards. Just short descriptions, no detail. For people who do not play all the time and weeks or months can go by without playing the game, the cards are not usually adequate. For the most part I use the site descriptions in the Walkthrough.

This is just wrong. All of the rules for every site are on the site card. The walkthrough contains an expanded, more verbose, version of some of this information, but it doesn't contain any rules that aren't on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Shemar wrote:

This is just wrong. All of the rules for every site are on the site card. The walkthrough contains an expanded, more verbose, version of some of this information, but it doesn't contain any rules that aren't on the cards.

To be fair, some of the cards may seem a bit... obtuse, at least. For instance, I've had to double check what the icons on some of the city cards mean sometimes (the city enemy bonuses and special abilities once conquered). So while the information is technically on the cards, if you haven't played a lot you may not know what they mean or at least need clarification around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leshrac55 wrote:
To be fair, some of the cards may seem a bit... obtuse, at least.

That's fair, although I would say "cryptic". But, if there's a symbol that you don't understand, and you have to puzzle it out or look somewhere else for interpretation, that's still a lot different from having rules that simply aren't on the card and that you only know about if you look somewhere else. If there's a symbol and you don't know what it means, then at least you should know that you don't know what it means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Shemar wrote:

If I tried to play a agme using just the cards I would not know how to hanle many of the locations. In my book that means that all the tules are not on the cards. The cards are a reference, a reminder for those that already know how the locations work. They work for people who play the game all the time. They are inadequate for people learning the game or playing very rarely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yes... the walkthrough is designed for learning. I would also expect it to be useful for re-learning, which is what you're doing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Shemar wrote:

If I tried to play a agme using just the cards I would not know how to hanle many of the locations. In my book that means that all the tules are not on the cards. The cards are a reference, a reminder for those that already know how the locations work. They work for people who play the game all the time. They are inadequate for people learning the game or playing very rarely.

Well, yes, you cant play without reading the rules in the rulebook, but I would say after one tutorial game it is very clear what symbol means what. The symbols on the locations are very straight forward, and there is text! I never had problems with locations. The only thing I have to look up in the rule book are the symbols in the cities, they arent that clear.
(this is of course just my own oppinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
H4msterbacke wrote:
The small reference cards tell you everything what you can and what not on a location. Whats the reward and other special things. So I dont have everything in my head, but a quick glance at the reference card is all I need if a location pops up.

There is no such thing as a "quick glance at the reference card" because half of the time the reference you're looking for is face-down on the back of one of the OTHER locations that you've referenced recently. THAT's my big problem with the cards. Every time you want to look something up you have to play flip-through-the-deck.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the game. But if I have a big peeve that's the one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
H4msterbacke wrote:

There is no such thing as a "quick glance at the reference card" because half of the time the reference you're looking for is face-down on the back of one of the OTHER locations that you've referenced recently. THAT's my big problem with the cards. Every time you want to look something up you have to play flip-through-the-deck.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the game. But if I have a big peeve that's the one.

And that's why I printed, clipped, and sleeved the cards that Paul was kind enough to upload: Site Description Cards - Sheet 1 and Site Description Cards - Sheet 2. Now I have reference cards with identical faces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably upload the new versions. A couple of them have had a bit of a tweak. Nothing major, just little things like correcting a spelling mistake on Monastery and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.