Subject: SoS Firefight 4 - State Farm 158 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter van der Pols
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi,

Today we tried to play the base 2 player version of FF4. The Soviets may setup 2 units hidden anywhere on the map. Every game we put two unis on the last row where the HMG starts. Then, we shot him two or three times in the flank and this valuable unit was gone. And so was the change for the Germans to win.

So, did we play the scenario incorrect or is the 2 player variant unplayable? I guess we missed something important.

Peter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter,

Interesting idea, however if a hidden unit is within two hexes of an enemy unit in clear terrain, they can be seen. Since then the unit would not be hidden, I would say they could not set up within two hexes of a German unit. The units could still be 3 hexes away in such a position to fire on the HMG's flank though.

Overall, I think this scenario as a two player game is very hard for the German to win, whether the hidden units are set up like in your game or not.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Ross
Algeria
flag msg tools
When we first looked at the scenario, we decided not to allow those two hidden units because it seemed too imbalanced. Then we played it and the Germans got mauled -- completely destroyed after Turn 3. Then we changed sides and replayed it, and the Germans were completely destroyed after Turn 2! I would love to hear what the strategy is for winning, or heck, just surviving as the German player in this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas off the top of my head.

1. Specify that it must be the 2 Soviet SMG's that may start hidden near the German column.
2. They must be at least 3 hexes away from the road.
3. They may not hide on the last 2 rows of the board.

And lastly remember that the updated PDF has only 1 Soviet 82mm mortar, not 2. Secondly, consider changing that mortar to a 50mm if you feel the Soviets are still to strong. The PDF also states that the Germans have the initiative on round one. You could hasty defense your MG before the Soviets first shot, or use the German mortar to place protective smoke. I'm assuming the full range of units here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.