Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

Scribidinus and I played a couple of turns of POG the other day and we both enjoyed it quite a bit. We're both new to the game and for myself, having played through several solo turns and the few turns with John, I'm starting to see a slight glimmer of the strategies involved, but would like to hear from some more experienced people.

It seems that the Central Powers will be hard pressed to find a victory, and to me, this seems especially true for Austria-Hungary in the Western front.

Perhaps some of you could enlighten me with some sound strategies for both sides? Oh, and with any luck, Scribidinus won't read any of this and I'll thrash him in our next game!!!!

Thanks in advance

rt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
residuetiger wrote:
Hey folks,

Scribidinus and I played a couple of turns of POG the other day and we both enjoyed it quite a bit. We're both new to the game and for myself, having played through several solo turns and the few turns with John, I'm starting to see a slight glimmer of the strategies involved, but would like to hear from some more experienced people.

It seems that the Central Powers will be hard pressed to find a victory, and to me, this seems especially true for Austria-Hungary in the Western front.

Perhaps some of you could enlighten me with some sound strategies for both sides? Oh, and with any luck, Scribidinus won't read any of this and I'll thrash him in our next game!!!!

Thanks in advance

rt

Hi,

made me laugh, that last line.
CP is definitely the losing side. In tournament, this is resolved by ‘bidding’ VPs for playing the Ally, so usually (no experience myself) CP has 0-3 VP already in his pocket.

In general, the fronts are: west, east, Italy, Balkan, Turkey. I believe (correct me if I’m wrong, anyone) that if CP succeeds in winning on 2 fronts and keeping a balance at the other 3 he’ll probably win. Or win on 3, lose on 1, 1 balanced. In any case: it’s in the interest of the Allied player, to open up as much fronts (and stretch those fronts as long) as possible. The CP needs to ‘kill’ fronts. Kicking the Serbs off the map is one, for instance. CP then only needs to leave a few troops (for example 1 AH army and 1-2 GE corps) behind, so if Salonika is played, the threat of a front there is eliminated right away. The Ally, on the other side, must try to slow down the CP with the Serbs so long, that it IS possible for him to play Salonika. Build a trench in Belgrade. Retreat to the mountains of Skopje. Build a trench there. Etc.

In general, the Germans must try to kill enemies on one front, while the AH must try to,… well,… stay alive. The response of the allies depends on where the Germans attack. Attack the CP on the front where he is NOT fighting.

For both players: USE your RPs. For instance, if GE attacks the French, and the French need 2 RPs to buils back their losses, that means that both the BR and the RU can attack and afford to lose resp. 2 and 3 RPs. They were already paid for! The GE will probably have lost 1-2 RPs attacking the French, so taking assaults from BR and RU will easily take them to 3-5 lost RPs, much harder to build back. Same goes for the CP. And remember: most of the times it’s healthier to attack with 1 army than it is to attack with an army and a corps. Example: you attack 2 French armies (6 total). If you attack with 1 army, you’ll take 1 flip and chance of 5/6 to do 1 flip. If you attack with an army and a corps (7 point->6 column) you’ll certainly do only 1 flip, but lose 1,5 –2 RPs (corps flipped or dead)

This is WW-I ! This game is about attrition. Seldom will you be able to Blitz (OOS your opponent). Winning must be done by wearing your opponent down: attack him and force him to spent much cards to RPs. Lure him into using much OPS. The most economical player will win. I was surprised at how, after a few play, economical I used my OPS, in comparison to my first few games.

About AH’s Westfront (Italy, I suppose). If you’re not playing historical variant it’s the Allied weak point: as CP, try to be in Limited War sooner than the AP. Try to move an AH army and GE corps to Trieste and a GE army and GE corps to Trent. In that way, when Italy enters the war (and it WILL enter the war), you can attack Asagio and Udine at the same time, winning on 90%+ basis and putting IT3 OOS. As CP, having trenches in Verona and Venice will not win you Italy, but it will pacify the Italy front.
As AP: the Italians NEED at least 1 FR or BR army. If only to dig trenches for them.

Turkey is the CPs weak underbelly. So the AP much use that. Turkey can, with enough time, be pretty good defended. But if the AP is in LW sooner than CP, it will get critical.

The Westfront is the hardest place to fight: it’s virtually impossible for the CP to take Paris, while the AP will not be able to hurt the Germans, once he’s (slowly!) retreated back over the river and has build trenches in Essen, Frankfurt and Mannheim

If you want to replay some games, go to the Warhorse site.
http://www.warhorsesim.com/ACTS/
Make a free account and view the journals of other people’s games.

Anyone other suggestions? I’m interested too!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for great suggestions. Yes, I too have notice that AH is a semi-lame duck, I definately need to work on a different strategy with them, they get their butts handed to them by the Russians pretty regularly in my limited experience.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone NOT lead out with the Guns of August?

rt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen or played the game, but historically speaking Austria was a lame duck who kept losing to the Russians. The Germans had to save their bacon on more than one occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
residuetiger wrote:
Cool, thanks for great suggestions. Yes, I too have notice that AH is a semi-lame duck, I definately need to work on a different strategy with them, they get their butts handed to them by the Russians pretty regularly in my limited experience.

You can make AH on steroids by using the GE corps first and Sud Army card at any convenient time. More attack point and possibility to absord hits with the German.

What I do often is defend Munkacs with 2-3 AH armies (depending on how many Russians are approaching) and building a trench in Przemysl. SR 2 GE corps on top of AH4 and Russian south front is pretty water tight. Use AH corps to fill the holes (Uzhgorod & Gorlice) and let Russian have Lemberg & Czernowitz. You get Warsaw and Lodz in return, and they count towards the needed VPs in Russia (Tsar/Revolution-cards). After playing Sud Army, attacking from Przemysl becomes an option. Anyway, this is a good defense and you can choose where the Germans are going to attack (North/South/Middle) while AH holds the line, almost by themselves. Which is quite an achievement for them

residuetiger wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone NOT lead out with the Guns of August?

rt

Friend of mine and I used to avoid Guns of August, so it's harder for the Allies too, to enter Limited War. Standard opening move would be:
Playing Guns of August as operations,
A Aachen GE1-Liege
A Koblenz GE2,3-Sedan
A Metz GE4,5-Sedan, flank attack

This would make the capture of Liege not a sure thing (5/6 chance of succes) but the blow at Sedan even harder. GE5 would take a possible hit, GE2+3 would advance into Sedan.

Have fun, and tell me if you guys are using some sort of standard openings (either for CP or AP)

grtz,
M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
I very rarely play "guns" as an event. It does make it slightly more difficult for the CP to get to total war but it makes it even more difficult for the AP.

If the AH get into trouble early it's worth pulling back to the Carpathians and entrenching there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Spencer
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on the above message about Guns of August. The first couple of plays I saw no reason to not play it, but now that I have some experience I do not play it...

I recently tried a double flank attack on the first card play as the CP. I flanked Belgrade and Kaments - Podolski. I wanted to try something new and knock the Serbs out of the game on turn 1. Sadly the flank on Belgrade did not work and now I have two full strength Serbian armies sitting outside of Budapest...sigh....

I think though that this idea migh work if you can get the Belgrade flank to succeed....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.