United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
What an idiot:

Quote:
Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fucktard, I bet he gets ellected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
He's obviously been devouring this website as the gospel truth.

http://www.christianliferesources.com/article/rape-pregnanci...

While conveniently ignoring this NIH article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

And simultaneously failing to see why this argument is worthless when it comes to opposition to abortion in instances of rape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
He's up by 8 points...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
He's up by 8 points...

This does not suprise me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Missouri is "The Show Me State." So unless he has personally seen or caused a rape pregnancy... well, I guess somebody has to show him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Vote Josey Wales for Senate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
jmilum wrote:
He's up by 8 points...
Speaks volumes about the denizens of the great state of Missouri.

"Hmmm... we gots us a choice buhtween a goldarn LIBERAL... and some guy who used the term 'legitimate rape.' I guess I'll have to pray on this one..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Missouri is "The Show Me State." So unless he has personally seen or caused a rape pregnancy... well, I guess somebody has to show him.

I'm actually quite proud. Not only did STL regain the #1 spot for murders, but we now have Atkins too. And I think we're back at #1 for Meth.

Oh happy days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
jmilum wrote:
He's up by 8 points...

Didn't he just make his remarks this weekend? If so, it's a bit too soon to conclude that MO voters agree with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
He's up by 8 points...

Didn't he just make his remarks this weekend? If so, it's a bit too soon to conclude that MO voters agree with him.

He made them last night, or maybe this morning. Sadly, I think there are enough dipshits in this state who will be voting for him. Amendment 2 passed afterall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
He's up by 8 points...

Right, I was just stating the current number, not the after effect of his remarks. We will have to wait and see if his batshit crazy has any negative effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
RoverGuy wrote:
Wow, a politician saying something stupid. Why are we surprised?

See: Obama, Biden, Romney, Ryan, Pelosi, Boehner, Reid, and on and on and on.

It really should be more surprising when a politician says something meaningful and thoughtful.

There's stupid, and then there's this guy. We'd be pretty hard up for material in this forum if we constrained ourselves to meaningful and thoughtful politicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just stupid. International news stupid! This was aired on Dutch TV this morning and is all over the papers. That put's him in a league with Sarah Palin!

Well played Mr Akin, you misogynistic fucktard, well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legitimate rape? Kind of sounds like the "the way she was dressed, she was asking for it." I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant but I'm not sure that attitude isn't under the surface somewhere. One would think a politician would be more careful in his choice of words especially if discussing a key position.

So I guess "legitimate rape" is a new class of crime. Leave it to a man to define crimes against women. He claims he misspoke, or the words were taken out of context or the context taken out of the words or something. Didn't he follow up with saying something like, "punish the rapist, not the child?" Still seems to me that he is ignoring someone, like the victim of a violent crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
you see, what i understood from his comments is that he believed that if you actually get raped, then you dont get pregnant.. 'legitimate rape' in this case is actual rape, whereas 'illegitimate rape' is people who claim they were raped but are lying..

what he is basically saying is that if you get raped and get pregnant, then you were asking for it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Wow, a politician saying something stupid. Why are we surprised?

See: Obama, Biden, Romney, Ryan, Pelosi, Boehner, Reid, and on and on and on.

It really should be more surprising when a politician says something meaningful and thoughtful.

you appear to have missed Palin and Bush out of that list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
His comments are stupid on so many levels. I think the concept of womens bodies esentiallt "rejecting" rape pregnancies is the worst. Does this mother fr live in a cave or what? Jeez, I can't help but think this country is going down the shitter. Spoiled, spineless, children and fucktards run the show. If this guy gets elected I'll be proven correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
femgoth wrote:
you see, what i understood from his comments is that he believed that if you actually get raped, then you dont get pregnant.. 'legitimate rape' in this case is actual rape, whereas 'illegitimate rape' is people who claim they were raped but are lying..

what he is basically saying is that if you get raped and get pregnant, then you were asking for it..

Legitimate rape is a term used by people who think only forcible rape is rape (i.e., statutory rape, date rape, etc. aren't rape). His comment about how "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down" in cases of "legitimate rape" refers to spontaneous abortion. Again, he's read that 1999 article by a pro-life MD cover to cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
femgoth wrote:

Legitimate rape is a term used by people who think only forcible rape is rape (i.e., statutory rape, date rape, etc. aren't rape). His comment about how "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down" in cases of "legitimate rape" refers to spontaneous abortion. Again, he's read that 1999 article by a pro-life MD cover to cover.

fair, didnt know it was a 'term' that was used over there for that. either way he is a proper nutbag.. although it really still sounds like he is claiming that if you get pregnant after being raped then you are lying about being raped..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
femgoth wrote:

fair, didnt know it was a 'term' that was used over there for that. either way he is a proper nutbag.. although it really still sounds like he is claiming that if you get pregnant after being raped then you are lying about being raped..

Well, I don't know if it's necessarily a term so much as a philosophy. And I think you are mostly right in summarizing the gist of his remarks. I think he was saying that the number of pregnancies is so low among rape victims that denying abortions to them is such a small price for society to pay. Further, for illegitimate rape victims (geez, that's a mouthful), he has no sympathy for the women who get pregnant, because they weren't really raped in any legitimate way.

This is the type of callous BS I've come to expect from the real hardliners on the pro-life side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
femgoth wrote:

Well, I don't know if it's necessarily a term so much as a philosophy. And I think you are mostly right in summarizing the gist of his remarks. I think he was saying that the number of pregnancies is so low among rape victims that denying abortions to them is such a small price for society to pay. Further, for illegitimate rape victims (geez, that's a mouthful), he has no sympathy for the women who get pregnant, because they weren't really raped in any legitimate way.

This is the type of callous BS I've come to expect from the real hardliners on the pro-life side.

tbh i dont think you need to be a hardline pro-lifer to spout BS..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, he sits on the House Science and Technology committee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Ron Johnson, Republican Senator from WI, asked Rep. Akin to step down today.

As did Scott Brown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
BTW, he sits on the House Science and Technology committee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.