Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cohen
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been thinking about the Yin lately. Their abilities generally suck, I've never met anyone who enjoyed playing them much. They just seem like an underpowered race and, even though they have an interesting dynamic in flipping a system for Resources/Influence, they tend to always use it on their home system anyway.
There just isn't much to them, and I have struggled to figure out how to make them better and more playable without giving them something out of character.

A few days I hit upon an idea and, having tested it, it turns out to be quite fun:
When the Yin do their flipping ability, they may flip any number of planets they control at once.

Very simple, but it gives the Yin something very interesting: Whatever their board situation, they can customize it to their advantage. Their racial techs may suck, their flagship may be uninteresting, their other special abilities are ho-hum, but now they can optimize their board position.

I've only played one game so far with this, I was the Yin and I came second in The Long War (to the Naalu), but I'm also much more experienced than the group I'm playing with. It was quite fun and didn't seem overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, the Yin Brotherhood, the Xxcha Kingdom, and of course the tired old Sardakk N'Orr, are indeed the weakest and hardest to win with...not impossible of course, just definitely more difficult.

Your idea sounds interesting...I've just gotten very reluctant of late to change Great Races, or anything about them. In our group the Yin have been played 5 times (out of 30 games), and they have come in second twice. I actually would have won with them but in the final round my arch nemesis successfully invaded and took control of two different players' Home Systems, and won the game with the "Domination!" Stage II PO card.

In general though, they tend to finish near the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the Yin quite powerful, especially if they get Mecatol Rex. If they have a secret objective that has to do with Mecatol Rex, their chances of winning go up dramatically. I won with the Yin the only time I played them, despite failing all the 3 or 4 rolls of their second special ability (but this ability was useful nonetheless because my opponents tended to overcompensate on invasion combat, .aking space combat easier. Playing the Yin was actually one of my most enjoyable ti3 experiences

Edit: hi, Mike! Didn't notice it was you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the one time I played them, I had a lot of fun. I think they are one of the more interesting, well-designed (though not overly powerful) Great Races in the game. I have nothing "against" them, I would play them again in RAW ("Rules-as-Written") form, but I do think they are somewhat harder to win with. You know, the game is more fun if one doesn't always play one of the L1Z1X / Hacan / Yssaril triumvirate (or whatever 3 Great Races one thinks are the most powerful). My friend Scott L. ("Sigmazero13" here on BGG) has won 2 or 3 games with The Winnu, and I don't believe that most people think they are an "O/P" Great Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I think the Yin are fantastic. None of their powers are awesome, but they are each very interesting. It leads to a race that has a little bit of everything: a little ground combat boost, a little space combat boost, and a little economic boost. The constant posts about how weak the Yin are continue to surprise me. Frankly, I assume that these players are using the Yin "wrong." They aren't as easy to use as the Yssaril or the Emirates, but not all races can be stupidly OP like them.

I cannot tell you how many opponent have been thwarted because they forgot about the Yin Kamikazi attack. And flipping planets is rediculous. If you get MRex, Mallace, or Meer, you have a bunch of extra resources that nobody else has access too. In my games, garrisons tend to be rather lite, so invasions with the Yin are extremely dangerous. I find the Yin gets STRONGER as they progress through the galaxy, not weaker.

Now, the Yin lost a lot of luster with the advent of Shards. They used to be the only race that could pick a ship to sink, but now that special feature is sort of a dime a dozen. More is the pity. I find the Van Hauge to be freaking awesome though.

*edit*
I forgot to comment on the house rule idea. Flipping any # of planets. I think this would easily catapult the Yin to the top tier. They would become one of the most economically powerful races in the game, easily rivaling even the Hacan's undulating might. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it'd certainly change the feel of the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sham Blanchard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I love the Yin! I dominated with them in my Game with them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Racial+Dacxive+Fanaticism+Flagship=OP The only problem you should be having is where to fit all the GFs. Who cares! They're fighters too! They kinda like a Naluu/Sol hybrid as far as their flagship fleet is concerned.

Medium to heavy influence planets+colonies=never having to pick logistics/leadership again and with resource swap ability means big time production. I won my first game with Yin. I could not be stalled, out maneuvered, and as a result of the former, barely out-gunned. I found them to be very powerful. While everyone was fighting over the resource rich planets, I scooped up the influence ones, swapped whatever I needed just before I built. (had lots to choose from with colonies and had the planet with 4 influence+colony+spacedock... can't remember name, but that was a production capacity of 8!!!). Sarween Tools helped too. Had 3 separate building systems, so with secondary of Imp II I mostly built 4 times per round. That was 4 extra GF I didn't have to use PC for (Using Yin Spinner)! Always had Strategy tokens because of logistics secondary (lots of influence, remember) and with Diplomacy I secondary! WHOOO!!! Just refresh my 4+1 influence planet! Never needed to invade MR once! I was on fire! Not to mention early domination during politics and extra CC's to spend on secondary for action cards later.

On that note, don't forget to scoop up the refineries too! I still managed to get three of them in my game.

If not playing with Diplomacy I, then go with Nano Tech (not really part of Yin strategy, more to do with heavy influence game, but when playing with Yin I HIGHLY recommend playing for influence). Also, if using the first combo I mentioned (Racial+Dacxive+Fanaticism+Flagship=OP), then Micro is not out of the way, so I guess ya, it is a Yin strategy.

Added bonus to influence game: slight dominance with Assembly/Political. Only slight though, as Yin has no BDYGRD.

Discard destroyer or cruiser to potentially take out a warsun with the right action card? Awesome! Also useful for taking out carriers! If not used, free deterrent from enemy invasion.

Yin spinner is just nice all around. The most precious resource in the game IMHO is production capacity. Getting that extra GF every time you build is real nice, but to properly use this, you must have a space dock in 3 separate systems. That combined with Imp II 2ndary or Production will give you 4 free GF per game round. This can be upped to as much as 5-6 with warfare I and that action card that allows you to take one CC from any one of your activated systems. Again this plays into Yin’s Flagship, essentially free fighters. Use GF’s as fighters, kill spaceships, use GF’s in invasion, get more GF’s. Trample anyone?

Diplomat on home system=better luck next time. (I was invaded by Sardakk, in that 4 player game, in an effort to thwart my point collection. I used my diplomat's ability, stalled the invasion, picked second, so I grabbed Initiative then Diplomacy I, and on my first turn activated diplomacy and target the Sardakk player. Giving me the pest defended home system in the game). As I like to say, the enemy of my enemy is my shield!
Agent=Free sabotage when you need it most.
Admiral=Awesome on flagship
I really enjoyed the Brotherhood of Yin. IMHO I found that they were one of the most fun races to play. BUT they are the most micro-managed race. You can’t be sleepy and win with these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think the Yin are perfectly fine as is. I've won with them both times I played them, they've always done fairly well in any game they were in.

Starting with awesome destroyers is great for the early game. You chew through fighters and can pop carriers with a great resource advantage, and have little to fear from Warsuns.

Getting a free skip out of the "Yin-Yang" counter placement is bonkers.

I believe the sentiment that they are not good often comes from the same thinking that underestimates Destroyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.