Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Ceramics" minor improvement states that you can use "Pottery" as a minor improvement the rest of the game. Does this mean you get the physical card for free or that you can use its action, regardless of who owns the card?

Also, do you get the end game bonus of the Pottery Major Improvement by playing the ceramics minor improvement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pottery, normal: costs 2 stone and 2 clay, built through a major improvement action.

Pottery, with Ceramics: costs no resources, built through a minor (or major) improvement action.

You still have to play the card to reap its benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
Pottery, normal: costs 2 stone and 2 clay, built through a major improvement action.

Pottery, with Ceramics: costs no resources, built through a minor (or major) improvement action.

So does Ceramics let you "buy" the card from the Major Improvement board at no cost or simply use its ability (turn clay to food) without having to own the "Pottery" major improvement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
skyzero wrote:
astroglide wrote:

So does Ceramics let you "buy" the card from the Major Improvement board at no cost or simply use its ability (turn clay to food) without having to own the "Pottery" major improvement?

Though it costs nothing, you still have to buy Pottery (i.e., take a major or minor improvement action: Starting Player + Minor Improvement, Family Growth + Minor Improvement, Major or Minor Improvement, or Renovation + Major or Minor Improvement).

Also, you don't have a claim on Pottery just because you played Ceramics. Until you've taken Pottery yourself, another player may still buy it through normal means.

There is only one card I can think of that lets you use abilities on cards you don't have: Mooch (incidentally, play-agricola rankings show it to be one of the worst cards in the game for 4p play). The take-home lesson however, is that using abilities on cards you don't have isn't a core mechanic in Agricola. If such an ability is granted, it will be spelled out, as it is on Mooch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwentn
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also confused by this. Now I know how to handle all the "X is a minor improvement for you" cards. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, bear in mind that the Pottery (and all other Majors that might be treated as Minors in some fashion) still count as a Major. This can be important at times, such as in "FotM" games when certain cards have a Majors prerequisite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Muller
msg tools
Hi, i know this is not the right place to ask, but since i am new to the game and could not find the specific forum, i have a common question that you can certainly help me with:

I have no problems with the minor and major improvements cards, but reading some forums, sometimes i feel i am playing the game wrong.

The question is:

- Can you place a worker on an action space even without doing the action? It may look obvious but since there is some actions with the "after this, do that" that are conditional actions, i started wondering if you can take these actions (or anyother) just to occupy the space and lock the action without actually doing it.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thread that covered your question

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/232939/taking-actions-you-ca...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.