Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb

Background
This was my first game after painting my set. I was feeling a bit let down by two things in my initial play.

1. Strange Line-Of-Sight rule
It took me quite a while to realise LOS in Abaddon followed that of Queen in Chess. Orthogonal and diagonal.

2. Hard to identify units.
In the sea of grey minis, I could not figure out which was Red, which was Blue, etc. I had to turn them around a few times, or stare really closely to figure that out.

Well.. #2 was the reason I decided to paint the minis. And I had fun painting them! I did a quick paint job, with the primary intention to mark the base with the same color as the unit's battle die. So problem #2 was solved.

For the LOS rule, once I accepted it, I realised it didn't bother me at all during this play! In fact, because LOS was so straight-forward, I found most of my attention was spent thinking tactically around units positioning. So it turned out great after all!

The Game
So this being the first play after I got my set painted, I decided to redo Mission #1.

The LOS rule really changed the game for me and made the experience much more enjoyable

The first attack I got a draw, and that sucked.

Then, my opponent had a great positioning to make a 3vs1 play. I learnt my lesson the hard way. I'd probably never put a unit in such a convenient position again! Still could not believe I lost my Medium Link in round one.

Round 2 saw the beginning of my come back. When I tried my luck with the Doomsday Bolt, I really was just trying my luck. It was 1 in 6 after all. I was surprised I made the roll! Wow. Is Doomsday Bolt OP? 1 in 6 chance to take out a Heavy Link!!!

My opponent could not get into good positions and only one link got to attack.. and I countered with AMM!

In round 3, I realised I had the Weapon System cards to win the game. Decided to flank the infantry, making sure I did not engage it in close combat. I was lucky to roll 2 Heavy Link activation dice!! I put my plan in motion... and took the game!

Aftermath
Overall, I enjoyed this game much more than my previous one. It might be due to me coming to terms with the LOS rule. Or perhaps, it had something to do with me admiring my paint job

------------------------
1: Doom Bolt of Death
2: The Big Reboot
3: The Bomb From Nowhere
4: Critical Escape
5: Fast Battle & Furious Damage
------------------------
A Geeklist of all my comic-style "stuff"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
maxixe wrote:
This was my first game after painting my set. I was feeling a bit let down by two things in my initial play.

1. Strange Line-Of-Sight rule
It took me quite a while to realise LOS in Abaddon follows that of Queen in Chess. Orthogonal and diagonal.

2. Hard to identify units.
In the sea of grey minis, I could not figure out which was Red, which was Blue, etc. I had to turn them around a few times, or stare really closely to figure that out.

Well.. #2 was the reason I decided to paint the minis. And I had fun painting them! I did a quick paint job, with the primary intention to mark the base with the same color as the unit's battle die. So problem #2 was solved.

For the LOS rule, once I accepted it, I realised it didn't bother me at all during this play! In fact, because LOS was so straight-forward, I found most of my attention was spent thinking tactically around units positioning. So it turned out great after all! :)

The Game:
So this being the first play after I got my set painted, I decided to redo Mission #1.

The LOS rule really changed the game for me and made the experience much more enjoyable :)

The first attack I got a draw, and that sucked.

Then, my opponent had a great positioning to make a 3vs1 play. I learnt my lesson the hard way. I'd probably never put a unit in such a convenient position again! Still could not believe I lost my Medium Link in round one.

Round 2 saw the beginning of my come back. When I tried my luck with the Doomsday Bolt, I really was just trying my luck. It was 1 in 6 after all. I was surprised I made the roll! Wow. Is Doomsday Bolt OP? 1 in 6 chance to take out a Heavy Link!!!

My opponent could not get into good positions and only one link got to attack.. and I countered with AMM!

In round 3, I realised I had the Weapon System cards to win the game. Decided to flank the infantry, making sure I did not engage it in close combat. I was lucky to roll 2 Heavy Link activation dice!! I put my plan in motion... and took the game!

Aftermath
Overall, I enjoyed this game much more than my previous one. It might be due to me coming to terms with the LOS rule. Or perhaps, it had something to do with me admiring my paint job :P

Love the comic book style session report. Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report. What program did you sue to add the bubbles and arrows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
This as an excellent session report. I look forward to reading more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy Vault Inc.
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Great Session report! Your minis look awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.