Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I'm playing this right: I have a German squad in an intact building that has LOS to an American squad in an intact building. In theory both squad can shoot out of their respective houses but cannot target each other because they are both concealed?

I'm playing scenario 1 and I have tons of units that can't shoot at each other other than by raiding the houses. Feels weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:
I'm not sure I'm playing this right: I have a German squad in an intact building that has LOS to an American squad in an intact building. In theory both squad can shoot out of their respective houses but cannot target each other because they are both concealed?

I'm playing scenario 1 and I have tons of units that can't shoot at each other other than by raiding the houses. Feels weird.

You're playing it correct, but technically, they don't have line of sight to each other. Those units are concealed in their respective buildings- most likely not peering out windows and making themselves big targets. In theory, sure, the units could fire their weapons at each building, but what we're trying to sim here is that they can't see each other. Even if they were firing at the other building, the building itself is taking most of that fire if not all of it. So two intact buildings do provide actual concealment for infantry. Also, the buildings we're showing here are generally old Italian stone buildings, which would not allow bullet fire to penetrate anyway, except maybe through a window shot or through a door.

It forces players to raid houses to clear them, which is generally how they were cleared in reality, or take down the house itself if possible. LOS into Ruins is much different- that ruined house doesn't offer as much concealment- opening up LOS in way of the damage done by a large weapon (arty/tank shell, bomb, mortar...).

I'm sorry this feels weird- Scenario 1 is one of the few with the majority of the combatants as Infantry... once you can soften up those buildings with artillery, tanks, bombs, etc., things get a bit less house-to-house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Byron, thanks for the thorough answer. I've been playing too much Squad Leader. It makes much sense. The way it played out 5 uneventful turns followed by 3 action packed turns with german raids on the village. Everyone was too much lucky as the Panzer only managed to damage the church out of all houses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.