3 Posts

A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: They say it came from the void... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They say it came from the void--from the darkest depths of the blackest maw--an unspeakable horror summoned by its loyal followers. With your implements ready, you wonder how you might defeat such a hellish foe. Its putrid tentacles encircle you, and an ancient bellow from its ever-shifting mouth violates your very soul. This night you have seen the face of evil. . .and it has no shape.

In honor of H.P. Lovecraft's 122nd Birthday, my friends and I decided to break out the AToE w/Something Wicked expansion and play some advanced cooperative against none other than the Unspeakable Horror. Our all-women team consisted of Eliza, Valeria, Adrianna and Anne Marie. We were utilizing every advanced rule except for the Showdown Chart (which wasn't needed considering the already extreme difficulty). Before the Shadow Track even reached the second phase, every member of our party except for Eliza (me) had been KO'd, Valeria multiple times. Our dice rolls were atrocious through pretty much the entire game, yet by phase three on the track we were ready for the first showdown. Lord Hanbrook and Reverend Harding joined our hunting party, each with four resolve tokens. All of us had max health, and all went in with Combat focus for fight dice (I had initially been going for Spirit with a goal to procure the Runic Amulet, but ended up drawing a Musket early on so I stuck with Combat). By this time, the villain had 36 health, 8 combat and was aided by Magistrate Kroft. We all blew our wads the first round, and out of about 50 fight dice between us, we scored less than 20 hits. By the second go-around, two of us had been KO'd and with more incredibly unlucky dice throwing, we were able to get the Unspeakable Horror down to 16 hit points before one of us had to flee. We were able to initiate another showdown within the hour and chased the Shadow Track from phase four back to phase three. This time, however, we all had our butts handed to us, not before getting the creature down to 13 hit points. We decided not to flee and the Unspeakable Horror took the game.

Lovecraft would have been proud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

I feel your pain. The unspeakable Horror has done me in several times over. I usually play this solo and by the looks of it I`m the lucky one.
Fantastic game. Love the theme. Sleepy Hollow here I come. my favor villan has to be the spectral horseman. Johnny Depp and the movie Sleepy Hollow make this for me. Its truly like being in the movie.
I`m starting to ramble. So, great gaming to all.

Freebird out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ha... man, you're not kidding. All considered, Unspeakable Horror is definitely the toughest villain. Just its minions alone are awful (the Crimson Hand being by far the worst). And I agree, the Spectral Horseman is pretty cool and sort of the most appropriate monster for the setting. Thanks for your comment arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.