Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » General

Subject: which one to get rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark monk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I'm looking to by thunderstone but not actually sure which is the core game. Is thunderstone advance: tower of ruin the main core game or an expansion? Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in theory it's both a core game and an expansion. I brought it to be the core game, and it's generally considered the starting point for new players, as they improved a few things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark monk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok great. is it any good? Also, do expansions replace existing cards/scenarios or do they just add elements to the game (or both?). what expansions would you recommend (all, some?)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagaff wrote:
ok great. is it any good? Also, do expansions replace existing cards/scenarios or do they just add elements to the game (or both?). what expansions would you recommend (all, some?)

Thanks

Start with Thunderstone Advance, and pick up the Caverns of Bane expansion if you like it. From there, I've been told that the older cards do work with the new series, but from the looks of things the expansions are going to be coming fast and furious...

The only thing from the new series that you may want to skip are the avatars. They are an extra 15 dollars or so, and I'm not sure they're worth their price...

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Ouellette
Canada
flag msg tools
I like the Avatars, but understand how they may be of less value because of the price. I do find they bring another aspect to the game that seems to involve the player a bit more than just playing your hand, similar to the familiars, like remembering when you can use them, and how the different abilities can come in handy depending on the type of village that gets randomized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Arpitanian Lands" by Enisum
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the OP, I started with Thunderstone: Advance and greatly enjoyed it. Then, after reading through the BGG forums for details on the card layout differences and then downloading AEG's compatibility PDF (because the monsters have levels in T:A), I picked up the "old" expansions and I haven't had any trouble playing with everything. Then, when I taught the game, including mixed expansions, to my gaming friend, he didn't have any trouble understanding what was what on each of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Untergeher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion: Pick up Towers of Ruin. It's a neat redesign, without changing too much. The old sets are gathering dust right now, even though they would be compatible.

And Caverns of Bane looks like a good addition after that. Haven't played it yet, but I have unboxed it and had a good look at the new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.