Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd share a quick idea to help shave some time off of the setup. If you group together the objective cards, story cards and plot cards for each scenario and store them together in either a bag or card sleeve (ultra pro standard work) then its much quicker to pull out the right cards for each scenario.

I've also done the same for the player cards - see below.

If anyone else has any good ideas for speeding up setup please do share !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a table with quantities of exploration, lock, obstacle, mythos, keeper actions, etc. needed for each base game scenario.
During the setup instead of looking for each item at a time (ok, it's time to find Axe, now the Brass key...) I look at a card and check in the table (Cult Robes - nah, I don't need it now, Shotgun - yep...).
http://speedy.sh/ZfPs8/Mansions.xlsx

It doesn't speed up setup greatly, but it's easier for me this way.
Since I haven't played much with Forbidden Alchemy (every scenario a few times), I haven't update the file. I'll do this later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Pagliarulo
United States
Brighton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a great idea! I've actually done something similar.

I have taken all story-exclusive cards for each scenario and placed them into labeled mini-envelopes. For the characters, I have put the attribute cards, items, and minis into tiny boxes with labels on them, as well. I looked into putting item or mythos cards into the scenario envelopes, too, but there is a bit too much overlap of use between scenarios to pull that off.

The biggest problem with using the boxes is that is can make the box pretty crowded. However, I put the monsters (glued to bases and in the process of being painted...slowly) into a separate box, so that results in there being enough room for everything.

But good idea on separating the scenario cards like this. Setup time is a bit prohibitive, so any help is much welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
If anyone else has any good ideas for speeding up setup please do share !

What I did think of (although it'd take a moderately talented developer!) was an app or webpage that you, as Keeper, enter your story choices (e.g. 1A, 2B, 3B, 4B) and it would return the cards required for each room in a given scenario. I was thinking of a printable output from which you would build up a deck of cards to quickly set up once the room tiles were layed out.

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my method of speeding up play. I do this when I need to travel to someone's house to play.

First, I look at the Keeper setup page, with all of the cards that go in each room.

Then, I read down the room names, left column first, right column second.

I take all of the cards that go in the first room, including lock cards, obstacles, clue cards and items. I stack them in a mini pile, face up.

Then, I do the same for the next room down the page, placing this mini stack on top of the first one (again, face up).

I repeat for each room, then flip the stack over (face down). This way, the top few cards go in the first room, the next few go in the next room, and I can place them in order on the map (checking to the card fronts to be sure that I haven't messed up. The reason for having them face down is to keep the players from seeing what they have on them.

I also pick out the mythos card decks and set them aside, as well as the Keeper Action Cards that the scenario calls for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.