Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Levandowski
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to ASL, but I managed to get a copy of the original AH Module 1, Beyond Valor, wrapped, air tight in its original shrink. Not being much of a collector, and more of player, I decided to open it. The game is almost 30 years old (printed in 86), but I figured that having been in shrink wrap so long it would be in good shape. Not so. The box itself is very weak, and the corners came apart with just normal handling. Many of the counter sheets are losing their backing and seem somewhat shriveled. I have often heard archivists say that old paper should be allowed to breath. I have some 50 year old AH games that are open, and doing very well. So I am wondering if the air-tight packaging was the problem here.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Maybe from now on, I'll just buy opened copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if

1) The shrink wrap wasn't original, but a post-production job that sealed already-damaged components.

- or -

2) The environment in which the shrink wrapped game was stored (e.g. hot attic) accelerated the deterioration of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Number_41 wrote:
I am new to ASL, but I managed to get a copy of the original AH Module 1, Beyond Valor, wrapped, air tight in its original shrink. Not being much of a collector, and more of player, I decided to open it. The game is almost 30 years old (printed in 86), but I figured that having been in shrink wrap so long it would be in good shape. Not so. The box itself is very weak, and the corners came apart with just normal handling. Many of the counter sheets are losing their backing and seem somewhat shriveled. I have often heard archivists say that old paper should be allowed to breath. I have some 50 year old AH games that are open, and doing very well. So I am wondering if the air-tight packaging was the problem here.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Maybe from now on, I'll just buy opened copies.

It could have also been stored in an environment that went through repeated cycles of high humidity (garage/outdoor shed/shitty warehouse).

That can cause the paper and glue to breakdown. If it's always damp mold could form too, and staples will rust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Jeff, sounds very much like a game stored badly. Even if the shrink wrap was original, it is very common for the shrink not to be air tight.

When I buy a game for collecting, I prefer an opened & even a punched copy any day of the week. "In Shrink" is just a little scary unless you are buying a Leica at Sotheby's auctions and even then I would want x-ray proof of contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.