Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know FFG has made it a matter of pride that the TIE Fighters are actually at the correct scale, supposedly a first in the world of miniature games. But when I look at this pic of the next wave, I'm shocked that Slave 1 is that big... it's just as big as the Falcon.

Look at the size of Slave 1's cockpit compared to the Falcon's... the latter's can hold 4 people but it looks much smaller than Slave 1's, which I think only holds 2.

Anyone know if this Slave 1 figure is truly to scale with the rest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Reaper Steve wrote:
Anyone know if this Slave 1 figure is truly to scale with the rest?

I believe that it is. That was one of the first questions I asked myself when I found out it was a medium sized ship in X-Wing.

They are trying to hold to scale and have actual LFL data. Blame Kenner for giving us a Slave i Toy out of scale so many years ago. The cockpit looked like it was just big enough for one man when in reality, it is an entire command center made more evident in the prequels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slave 1 is approximately 21x21x8m
Falcon is approximately 34x26x8m
Tie Interceptor is approximately 9.5m in length
A-Wing is approximately 9.6m length, 6.5m wide & 3m tall

Scale looks okay to my eyeball
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slave_I

Slave I is supposed to be big enough house a large array of weapons, a very good sensor/tracking system, a hyperdrive, cockpit, living area, and holding cells. And enough engines to make that maneuverable.

Given all that, it sounds comparable to the YT-1300, which should replace some of that with space for cargo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might look bigger since it's standing upright while the falcon is laying down. If the falcon was standing upright, it'd probably look a lot bigger.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they're actually pretty comparable in size, if not shape. You can compare them a little better here:
http://www.merzo.net/
at one of the most awesome little websites on the net, "Starship Dimensions".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The venerable Wookieepedia has the two ship listed with the following dimensions:

Millennium Falcon - 34.37 meters long x 25.61 meters wide
Slave 1 - 21.5 meters long x 21.3 meters wide

Looks like FFG got it right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
admanwebb wrote:
The venerable Wookieepedia has the two ship listed with the following dimensions:

Millennium Falcon - 34.37 meters long x 25.61 meters wide
Slave 1 - 21.5 meters long x 21.3 meters wide

Looks like FFG got it right to me.

OK, so if we saw them both from the top down (with Slave 1 in the landed position), then we should expect their widths to be roughly the same but the Falcon would be ~150% longer in the long axis (21.5m vs. 34.4m).

Saying it another way, if we were to stand the Falcon on end next to Slave 1, the front would be touching the base and the engines would stick up higher that the top of Slave 1. If so... that's a big fig!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an exciting thought, but not as exciting as FFG saying that those are "medium sized ships" in the grand scheme of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
admanwebb wrote:
That is an exciting thought, but not as exciting as FFG saying that those are "medium sized ships" in the grand scheme of the game

Yeah, I read "medium sized ships" and started thinking... will they have large and extra-large sized ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
admanwebb wrote:

I don't know. I am not keen to see the "large" price tag with "medium" at $30 MSRP.

These look to be about 2x2 bases compared to the small bases. My guess is that 3x3 would be the max on "large" or possible something rectangular in a 2x3 or 2x4 configuration.

What would that be? Cruisers? I don't think we would ever see Star Destroyers in plastic form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for reference, here is a side by side of the ships...

As a kid, playing with the Kenner toys, I always thought the 'cockpit' was just a single person thing (in Salve 1), but after seeing the new movies and realizing there was a lot of stuff in that ship, it seems better seeing it so big compared to the falcon now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
admanwebb wrote:

I don't know. I am not keen to see the "large" price tag with "medium" at $30 MSRP.

These look to be about 2x2 bases compared to the small bases. My guess is that 3x3 would be the max on "large" or possible something rectangular in a 2x3 or 2x4 configuration.

What would that be? Cruisers? I don't think we would ever see Star Destroyers in plastic form.

Using the same scale, an Imperial-class Star Destroyer would only be 47 times as long as the Falcon. It's doable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG should make an inflatable Star Destroyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kitsune
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
admanwebb wrote:
Using the same scale, an Imperial-class Star Destroyer would only be 47 times as long as the Falcon. It's doable...

the length would only be about 6m, you will need a larger table to play on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even want to play this game, but I must have the falcon. It looks awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Forsberg
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beorthulf wrote:
admanwebb wrote:

the length would only be about 6m, you will need a larger table to play on

I don't care if it's not quite up to scale (It's about 1:1700 rather than 1:270), I am so using my Lego Star Destroyer for this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my first thought was "I REALLY want a Star Destroyer," then realized it would be something like half the size of my living room...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Sooooo........ What does that make the in-game dimensions of a super star destroyer? Also, is there an appropriately sized sphere in the world for use as a Death Star? Maybe the Epcot center?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
Sooooo........ What does that make the in-game dimensions of a super star destroyer? Also, is there an appropriately sized sphere in the world for use as a Death Star? Maybe the Epcot center?

29.6 meters, or about 97 feet long, for the 8km SSD.

Spaceship Earth (the sphere at Epcot Center) is only 180ft tall or about 12% of the 1456 ft required to have the proper scale of a 120km Death Star (DS2 was bigger).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
Sooooo........ What does that make the in-game dimensions of a super star destroyer?

This thread is awesome: List of common starships with scale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
FFG should make an inflatable Star Destroyer.

Genius! :laugh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
frogimus wrote:
Well, if they do make a Star Destroyer, it could double as the storage/transport system for the rest of the ships

If the scale size is 6m, it could double as a transport system for you, as well as all the ships. I was joking with my GF that we could use her car as a stand-in for a star destroyer, it looks like I was about a metre or so short, I sense a project in the making for someone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Redfern
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think this image solves the scale debate once and for all

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwoodphoto/6462459329/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101002211112/starwar...

This should give a better idea of scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.