Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
Australia
West Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Eurogamers Hate Him! Cambridge Scientists have discovered a revolutionary new way to win every game you play. Click here to find out more.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of a 2-part question that came up in a campaign last night.

We were playing the first Fat Goblin quest, where you collect the bales of crops.

I as Overlord, immobilized Jain Fairwood, which means on her turn she can't use move actions or suffer fatigue to move. On her turn she decided to use her heroic feat ("You may move double your Speed and perform an attack. This attack may be performed before, after, or during this movement"), claiming that a heroic feat is not listed as a move action in itself, that is just provides the ability to move.

Question 1: Can you use hero abilities and feats that allow you to move when immobilized?

So after conceding that the ability is not a move action in itself and can be used (it is a heroic feat after all, it should allow you to do something interesting), Jain decided she was going to attack first (OK), use some of the move portion of the heroic feat to next to a crop objective token (OK), then use her second action to pick the crop up (OK), then continue moving with the crops using the remaining movement points from the heroic feat (not OK).

Her argument is (and this is based on what I told them about the rules) that because you can normally do things during a movement action, such as attack, pick up items (pg. 7, Hero Turn Summary), she should be able to pick up an item (which is her second action, the first being the heroic feat) while resolving the feat itself.

My argument is that you need to resolve the entire heroic feat itself before using a second action, especially one as complex as Jain Fairwood's.

Question 2: Do special hero actions need to be resolved completely before choosing a second action?

I can't find anything in the rulebook that seems to disallow it but would like clarification as it is the very start of the campaign.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
sirmuffinman wrote:

Question 1: Can you use hero abilities and feats that allow you to move when immobilized?

Yes, as long as the ability does not give you "move actions", you can use it.

Quote:
Question 2: Do special hero actions need to be resolved completely before choosing a second action?

Yes. The only action that can be "interrupted" is a Move action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would say no, a doubled speed of zero is zero and what's the point of being immobilised if you can move, heroic feat or not.
2. I would say depends on the heroic feat. you can search, revive and attack in the middle of a move action.
3. as overlord you are allowed to punch cheaty players like that in the face and shout 'that's what you get for being too technical with the rules.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Australia
West Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Eurogamers Hate Him! Cambridge Scientists have discovered a revolutionary new way to win every game you play. Click here to find out more.
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Yes. The only action that can be "interrupted" is a Move action.

Thanks. Now that I think about, that's the easiest way to interpret it. I didn't think of that at all, damn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Australia
West Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NerdyCat wrote:
1. I would say no, a doubled speed of zero is zero and what's the point of being immobilised if you can move, heroic feat or not.
2. I would say depends on the heroic feat. you can search, revive and attack in the middle of a move action.
3. as overlord you are allowed to punch cheaty players like that in the face and shout 'that's what you get for being too technical with the rules.'

The worst part is that none of them have read the rules, they have no interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules as written, you can use Heroic Feats that allow movement while immobilized, but it seems silly to me. The word immobilized implies that the Hero cannot move, but then, the idea behind a Heroic Feat is that it's a pretty impressive thing that can be done. I wouldn't be surprised if it were errata'd to say that Immobilized figures cannot voluntarily move under any circumstances, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it stayed the way it's currently written either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
NerdyCat wrote:

The problem with this explanation is that the Immobilized Condition does not say "your speed is reduced to zero," it says that you cannot take a Move Action or spend Fatigue to move. The character's speed is the same as it always was.

I agree with the sentiment, though. It seems strange to call the condition "Immobilized" while still allowing certain avenues for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krinn DNZ
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
sirmuffinman wrote:
NerdyCat wrote:

The worst part is that none of them have read the rules, they have no interest in it.

That's pretty distressing, that's kind of in "why are you playing with these people" territory.

For a complex game, in my area, it's a baseline expectation that everyone has at least skimmed the rules and made a good-faith attempt to absorb the basic mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krinndnz wrote:
sirmuffinman wrote:
NerdyCat wrote:

That's pretty distressing, that's kind of in "why are you playing with these people" territory.

For a complex game, in my area, it's a baseline expectation that everyone has at least skimmed the rules and made a good-faith attempt to absorb the basic mechanics.

What?? If I had that expectation, I wouldn't have any players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirmuffinman wrote:
So tell them the rules say Immobilized means no movement of any kind; end of discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to think that heroic feats are allowed to break rules like this and allow movement while immobilized. Of course, the same happens for the overlord's monsters, if there are any that can move without using an actual "move action".

Note that while this allows Jain to use her feat, it doesn't allow Syndrael to grant movement to an immobilized hero (either herself or another hero), since it specifies that the movement is a move action.

Regardless, no, you can't interrupt Jain's feat to do anything other than the attack from that feat - you can't use a second attack, or any other action, as only move actions can be interrupted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth bearing in mind that the hero burning his or her feat at that point may not be optimal timing and coud cost them later on. Your monsters have a chance to immobilise again later in the encounter and then make sure they've flipped their hero sheet over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Rules as written, you can use Heroic Feats that allow movement while immobilized

Please, when you make reference to rules, post page number. There is no rule that let you use heroic feat to move when immobilized as well as no rule to forbid it.

Until FAQed you can only say how you would interpret this issue. As for me, immobilized is immobilized, you cannot voluntarily leave your current square, point.

FFG, FAQ please, faster...
*drink*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soddy wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
Rules as written, you can use Heroic Feats that allow movement while immobilized

Please, when you make reference to rules, post page number. There is no rule that let you use heroic feat to move when immobilized as well as no rule to forbid it.

Until FAQed you can only say how you would interpret this issue. As for me, immobilized is immobilized, you cannot voluntarily leave your current square, point.

FFG, FAQ please, faster...
*drink*

Completely and utterly wrong, I'm afraid - Dexter345 is correct. The rules say you can use your Heroic Feats once per encounter. Nothing in the rules counters this (including the Immobilize card). So you can use heroic feats while Immobilized (Immobilize only prevents move actions and spending fatigue to move - it says nothing about preventing Heroic Feats).

So there's the rules. There's no "interpretation" about it.

Oh, and rules for Heroic Feats are on pg.15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting, so what about skills that move the heroes? IIRC these would fall into the same grey area as Heroic Feats... although they are less heroic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feats and Skills for movement are both fine, per the rules. Immobilized says "You cannot perform move actions or suffer fatigue to gain movement points. Discard this card or token at the end of your turn."

Note how under "Actions" for a hero card, "Movement" is one action, while "Skill or Feat" (with the arrow symbol) is another action. The only "Movement Action" is an action spent for the sole purpose of movement.

Immobilized prevents that action, and spending fatigue for movement. Everything else, from a Wildlander's Nimble to Jain Fairwood's Feat, is fine while Immobilized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the card doesn't mention a "move action" specifically, it's fair game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.