Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! For some reason I get enjoyment from tracking the rankings of various games(I am still not sure why this is). Currently I am tracking Macao, Trajan, Castles of Burgundy, and Strasbourg. It has been interesting to see how all are continuing to rise. I expected this for the three 2011 releases but I am a bit surprised that the 2009 Macao continues to rise. I say just a bit because I did think this might happen with the success of Trajan and Castles of Burgundy. Has anyone else noticed some older games continuing to rise?(Not that 2009 is all that old I suppose). If so, what do you think is the cause for the games continued rise?

Aside from Macao, I have also noticed this happening with the 2009 The Resistance as well as the 2009 Jaipur(although Jaipur has seemed to have stopped its rise).

Anyways, just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else noticed something similar with some other games!!

Also, for those that have recently discovered Macao, was it Trajan or CoB that drew you to it? or did you simply discover it by looking through the rankings?(or some other reason?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I think it's that Stefan Feld is starting to have somewhat of a renaissance with a release of some high quality titles recently. This might be making a wider audience to seek out his titles and helping his ratings on his earlier designs.

P.S. When you said older games, I wasn't expecting 2009. I think I might be older design. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao SHOULD rise. Even though some people really hate it, I believe it really should be on the top 75 to top 50. 130 is far too low, especially considering some of the other games ranked above it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased Macao. It did hit my radar after getting Castles of Burgundy and discovering that we love that game. There were a couple forum threads contrasting Macao, CoB, and the rest of the Feld games. They all looked pretty interesting. After a few plays, Macao is a hit at our house. So far, Feld games are a good fit for us.

I just got In the Year of the Dragon in a trade and enjoyed my first play. Trajan is on order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 Maco (and Feld)

I don't think I have rated Macao yet, but will probably rate it higher than the mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
3 years isn't a long time... this is probably still part of the initial crest for Macao, Jaipur, and others. Only after the games both reach saturation with the type of gamers they appeal to and see newer games getting into their own slow growth pattern will the ratings / rankings start to taper off some for 2009 games that already made a splash.

Now, if you want to talk about older games rising, look at something like Glory to Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I think it's that Stefan Feld is starting to have somewhat of a renaissance with a release of some high quality titles recently. This might be making a wider audience to seek out his titles and helping his ratings on his earlier designs.

P.S. When you said older games, I wasn't expecting 2009. I think I might be older design. laugh

ya... old is relative

I HATE Macao. I dont like it all. I also do not like Castles of Burgandy.

I like Notre Dame, want to try In the Year of the Dragon, REALLY want to try Luna and am going to buy Trajan.

Not sure what any of that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing else, people are talking about his new games so the older ones get compared and people look into those ones as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any I keep track of but I do notice them now and then. It is pretty unusual for a game to improve its rating significantly.

I do a geeklist every year of games in the top 100 by year. The only games older than 2011 to make there wya into the top 100 were:
2005: Glory to Rome, Had limited availability until the re-release in 2010 helped it get more ratings.

2009: The Resistance, Was not available for purchase until 2010 and I didn't see it get much buzz until the end of 2011.

2010: Earth Reborn and Alien Frontiers both pretty small release that took a while to get enough ratings.

I know for a long time both Blood Bowl (Third Edition) and Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook were steadily moving up the ranking but then the backlash against GW cease and desist dragged all the GW games down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate: I don't think this is the case for Macao. I have been watching it for a long time and it did what many of the other 2009 and 2010 games did: stay at relatively the same place and then get passed by newer games. However, especially in the last couple of months it has seen alot of growth in both geek rating and avg rating. I think this is best explained by people newly discovering Stefan Feld and checking out his other games. Since both CoB and Trajan have been compared with Macao it makes sense that people would check it out(along with the fact that it has the highest avg rating after CoB and Trajan).

Steve: I enjoy those geeklists of yours. I have just recently started a geeklist tracking the top 100 month by month(which I am thinking of expanding to the top 200). I think re-releases and late hype are both reasons for later growth, along with new discovery of a designer I suppose. I think the re-release of Goa will see it climb again. I also am curious to see if Luna can climb into the top 200 with its re-release coming later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:

I think re-releases and late hype are both reasons for later growth, along with new discovery of a designer I suppose. I think the re-release of Goa will see it climb again. I also am curious to see if Luna can climb into the top 200 with its re-release coming later this year.

I am not sure that re-releases help that much, I think unless the game has less than 1000 ratings the re-release will not change it's rating very much. I think there are 3 reasons:
1. The rating has a good deal of inertia, people are influenced by it's existing rating.
2. The rating is already what must people think about the game.
3. Re-release will bring in new ratings but people like to rate it high (9-10) would must likely be the people who would have found a used copy of the original.

Looking at Goa it might go up a few spots but it is not getting back to being ranked 11 with an average rating of 7.96 it had in 2006. It already has a lot of ratings and is going to have a heard time getting its average to move up by much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is rated as high as it has ever been.

I think Crokinole is pretty close to as high as it's ever been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it is probably Mr. Feld's popular 2011 games making people look for his older ones.

The same thing has happened with me and Martin Wallace. Last year I got Snow and Discworld. This year I'm hunting down all his older works and rating them highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.