Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm missing something, but during a respite, a pirate can choose to rest, gaining 2 fortitude. Or a pirate can forage, and during the day, 50% of the time she will gain one ration. A ration can be eaten to add one fortitude.

So the value of Rest is 2 fortitude, and the value of daytime Forage is .5 fortitude. The value of a nighttime Forage is .33 fortitude. Sure, a ration can be used on any pirate, but that flexibility doesn't seem worth the steep price. Not to mention the monkey who can steal the rations. Maybe that's offset by the idol that converts each ration to one-fortitude-per-pirate, if you happen to find that location.

If you can apply a +1 die bonus (Leadership or Forager), your odds go up to 75% (2 dice) or 87.5% (3 dice). But even with those bonuses, it doesn't seem like foraging is valuable enough to be worth doing. It is still less than half the benefit of simply resting.

The only time I might forage would be if I could get a +2 dice bonus AND we are on a location that gives a foraging bonus, then maybe, just possibly, I might forage. Even then, I'm not sure.

It seems like foraging would be more fair if it provided 2 rations instead of just one. At least then it would be worth doing if you had an extra die.

What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl_S Gamer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You're exactly right. Foraging must be a semi-strategic decision. It's not always the best action but it's there for when needed or desired.

Foraging pays off much more with a larger crew because you're more likely to have a good forager to do so.

The best (and most timely) reasons to forage:

If a pirates both rests and eats during respite, she regains 3 fortitude, this can be great if you've the resources to have the entire crew rest and eat right before the final showdown.

Foraging pays off the most, just as you suggest, when you're in an area where you get a bonus. Foraging, in general, should be reserved for those times.

In some games, when battles don't go well (when the pirates suffer lots of hits), the crew will find itself weakened. The healthiest crew member can forage while the others rest. The ration (or rations) found while foraging will be another point of fortitude for someone in the future. In this case, I look at that ration as an investment for future respites.

Hope these seem like good reasons. Any thoughts of suggestions are always welcome. I originally had a foraging roll score 2 rations but my experience was that it made gathering food too easy. Perhaps you could use this rule in your next game and let me know if you think it makes foraging a more appealing action.

Thanks again,

Carl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carl. I can see how it would be more effective with more pirates. I played one solo game with 3 pirates, but most of my plays have been 2 players, 1 pirate each. With just 2 pirates, most of the situations you outline haven't come up.

We have been able to win without foraging, so I'm not sure it needs to be stronger. I understand the context better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.