Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a 1939 bill making tomatoes in clam chowder illegal was introduced in the Maine legislature. What??? What a waste of time to get that bill approved, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
a 1939 bill making tomatoes in clam chowder illegal was introduced in the Maine legislature. What??? What a waste of time to get that bill approved, right?

Why are you looking into this 74 years later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Real New England clam chowder does not contain a molecule of tomato, nor should it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Real New England clam chowder does not contain a molecule of tomato, nor should it.

Truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
robigo wrote:

Truth.

But is a law needed to patrol people from adding the dreaded tomato to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ropearoni4 wrote:
degamer wrote:
robigo wrote:

Truth.

Before you pass judgement...
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/idaho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hskrfn822 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
degamer wrote:
robigo wrote:

Truth.

I really hate "dumb laws" lists and sites, generally because they mis-state or over-state the law and its application, or state it in such a way to make the law sound ridiculous when the actual statute has very reasonable grounds. For example, on the page you cite, "Bicycles are not allowed in the tennis courts. " follows with the text of the statute, and the intent behind it seems pretty clear in that it's a prohibition to keep people from tearing up the public parks by doing rail grinds on benches, or from doing tricks et c. on the tennis court surfaces (which no doubt lead to tire tracks on the surfaces, and other damage to the surface). Or another is stated as "Persons may not camp out on sidewalks in the city. "No person shall camp or sleep overnight on public property located within the city limits unless such property is specifically posted allowing the same. " which on its face is a straight-up action against vagrants, i.e. bums sleeping on sidewalks or in the parks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
degamer wrote:
robigo wrote:

Truth.

I really hate "dumb laws" lists and sites, generally because they mis-state or over-state the law and its application, or state it in such a way to make the law sound ridiculous when the actual statute has very reasonable grounds. For example, on the page you cite, "Bicycles are not allowed in the tennis courts. " follows with the text of the statute, and the intent behind it seems pretty clear in that it's a prohibition to keep people from tearing up the public parks by doing rail grinds on benches, or from doing tricks et c. on the tennis court surfaces (which no doubt lead to tire tracks on the surfaces, and other damage to the surface). Or another is stated as "Persons may not camp out on sidewalks in the city. "No person shall camp or sleep overnight on public property located within the city limits unless such property is specifically posted allowing the same. " which on its face is a straight-up action against vagrants, i.e. bums sleeping on sidewalks or in the parks.

I can tell everyone, that there is a law in Blackfoot Idaho, against Me, and me alone, from walking onto the tennis courts at BHS , due to riding my bike on the tennis court. Backstory is that I had rode on that tennis court for 10 years before that with no qualms. It wasn't until they refinished the courts that they started caring.
I rode my bike on it like normal, but this jerk of a guy was trying to find funding for it I guess, because he just waited to catch kids on it, take them to court and get 2k out of their parents for damages.
I happened to show up after some kids had been there with pegs on their bikes that had dropped them a lot, destroying the new finish. I got blamed for it. Taken to court. Got off with Tresspassing and 200 fine (lousy defense appointed attourney did nothing for me), and a strict judicial warning to never go to the tennis courts ever again or I'd I get Malicious Intent to Injure Property, a felony with jail time.
So, it sets presidence if they were to make a bill against bikes on a tennis court...also skateboarders were fined for riding on it.

...but I still can add tomato to my New England Clam Chowder unlike those Maine residents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
skelebone wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
degamer wrote:
robigo wrote:

Truth.

I don't entirely disagree. There are many laws that at face value, seem ridiculous, but if one does due diligence and actually researches said law, they'll find rational reasons behind it.

Personally, I did a horrible job of making my point, so allow me to clear things up. The OP brought up the law and he said "But is a law needed to patrol people from adding the dreaded tomato to it." I noted that he was from Idaho, and tossed a link to Idaho's page on the dumb laws site as a retort. You see, I had already encountered rumors of this chowder "law" and had researched it before. One of the sites my search turned up was the dumb laws site, where I discovered their mention of the anti-tomato chowder "law". http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/massachusetts I screwed up by forgetting which state he said passed the law and as a Massachusetts native, I lashed out at ropearoni4 in retort. For that, I apologize.

That being said, there is no such law anywhere. In 1939 Maine introduced legislation to ban tomatoes from clam chowder, but it did not pass. (Florence Fabricant, Fair of the Country, New York Times, May 18, 1986, sec. 10, p.8.)

Once upon a time, people were entirely convinced tomatoes were poisonous and people avoided them like the plague. Also, the tradition of a tomato-based chowder is a New York thing. It should then be no surprise that folks from Massachusetts and other New England states would consider a tomato chowder to be anathema.

Long story short, this entire thread is stupid and not worth anyone's attention.

Edit: Removed an error and added an apology to ropearoni4 in case I offended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

starring George Clooney gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

Well, if they also passed a law making it illegal to add tomatoes to chili, then I'd be cool with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

This is the start of a very litigious episode of cold case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mylittlepwny wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

I love that show. I think it's the flashbacks and music choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

I watched Cold Case for a few episodes and got annoyed with it. Seems like the witnesses they interviewed always had incredible recall for the smallest details, even decades later.

Lilly Rush: Mr. Douglas, can you tell me more about the suspect when you saw him on October 4, 1957?

Mr. Douglas: Oh, sure. He was wearing a blue turtleneck sweater, which was barely covering up the skull tattoo on his neck. He had just come out of Perkins' Five & Dime, and walked across Main and 5th street...

Me: Wha?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

I watched Cold Case for a few episodes and got annoyed with it. Seems like the witnesses they interviewed always had incredible recall for the smallest details, even decades later.

Lilly Rush: Mr. Douglas, can you tell me more about the suspect when you saw him on October 4, 1957?

Mr. Douglas: Oh, sure. He was wearing a blue turtleneck sweater, which was barely covering up the skull tattoo on his neck. He had just come out of Perkins' Five & Dime, and walked across Main and 5th street...

Yeah, I didn't exactly begin my viewing with high expectations to begin with. I have to intentionally lower my expectations and not scrutinize things to get much enjoyment out of most TV and Movies nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
mylittlepwny wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

Yeah, I didn't exactly begin my viewing with high expectations to begin with. I have to intentionally lower my expectations and not scrutinize things to get much enjoyment out of most TV and Movies nowadays.

I saw one episode that they went off the norm, and added some footage of what was going on where the one talking wasn't there, so I would she know what happened? Oh well, yeah, for the show, they did what they had to to make the episode flow from start to finish.

There was also this one episode where a lady was cooking tomatoes, adding it to her clam chowder. There was knock on the door, she was dragged out in the middle of the night, shunned, and then she disappeared...spooky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.