Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed a solo learning campaign where the German's won holding out to the last turn. Initially the Germans did well, capturing Leningrad and beseiging Moscow, but eventually ended up in a war of attrition that slowly pushed back to the border of Greater Germany. The Soviets managed to take the Rumanian oilfield and Koenigsberg, but not much else. I did not use the solitaire rules and instead just played both sides. Optional rules included Abteilung Units, Fortified Front Units, and the Rezervy Unit.

One thing I noticed is I did not use several rules/card plays very much - probably because I was playing for the first time and against myself . I'm thinking my weak showing as the Germans after 1941 and the weak push back by the Soviets for the remainder of the game may have partly been due to me not using these rules as they are expected to be used.

I would like to learn how others make use of these:

1) Rail Movement: I would use this when I had a unit far in the rear to move it up to the front quicker, but this was rare. I think I only paid a card once to move two units by rail in an emergency situation. I also did not use the Soviet Reserve token or cards that leverage rail. Am I missing the importance of rail movement?

2) Movement Cards: there are several cards that allow your units to move on the other player's turn, usually only if not in EZOC. I found my units were almost always in EZOC so rarely used these cards. I've read that some suggest you should only be allowed to use one "movement" card per turn as a balancing factor, so I am obviously missing the importance of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Rail Movement is especially important for the Russian player. It is a good advice to try and keep one unit in rail movement box at any time, the opponent could crush the line and break through! with rail movement you can often prevent this from happening!

2.) in the same scenario, especially at the beginning, movement cards are powerful, as they will grant a player high movement capabilities and allow him to move all his units into EZOC to be able to CB the opponent into attacking him to be able to CA and advance even further! Also, there were some possible abuses when a player drew well in his first turn, he could win easily by moving with panzer armies behind enemy lines and cutting them off.

So you are playing with the new 2.0 rules?

Alex

EDIT: I am planning to leave Germany and stay for 3 months in Santa Monica starting September the 9th in order to do research at the UCLA. I al pretty immobile and its a 2.5h ride, but maybe we could find a day where we can play a face to face game of NR!? Interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Alex said.

Make sure you are playing with the second edition rules: the Soviet Strategic Move counter can be VERY useful as it gives you a free rail move, and allows you to deploy a unit by rail at the end of the German movement phase! One of the key to successfull Soviet offensives later in the game is to concentrate in one attack a Russian Tank, and a Shock front, this will give you TWO combat shifts; since the Shock fronts are pretty slow, the way to deploy them fast pretty much anywhere (and surprise your opponent) is to use that counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it sounds like rail is more of a benefit to the Soviets while the movement cards are more of a benefit (at least in the early stages of the campaign) to the Germans.

GangZda wrote:
So you are playing with the new 2.0 rules?

I am playing with the 2.0 rules but I simply skimmed them paying attention to blue text and must have missed the free rail movement for the reserve.

GangZda wrote:
I am planning to leave Germany and stay for 3 months in Santa Monica starting September the 9th in order to do research at the UCLA. I am pretty immobile and its a 2.5h ride, but maybe we could find a day where we can play a face to face game of NR!? Interested?

I would say "yes!" if it weren't for the ~5h round trip drive (not to mention the fuel cost), but alas, its too much for me. If you find yourself taking a mini-vacation to the San Diego area let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B.
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the Russian Stratetic Reserve Unit can be deployed at the end of a DETRAINING Phase (Russian or German, 14.12.2) and not at the end of a German MOVEMENT Phase... or are there any new rules!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StarPit wrote:
I think that the Russian Stratetic Reserve Unit can be deployed at the end of a DETRAINING Phase (Russian or German, 14.12.2) and not at the end of a German MOVEMENT Phase... or are there any new rules!?

Doh, yes indeed, this is what I wanted to say: The end of the Detraining phase (either player). Thnaks for the correction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game there is a lot to be said for the MacArthur axiom "Hit 'em where they 'aint". In this fashion the German player with his higher movement allowances, (perhaps supported by movement cards), can switch the focus of his schwerpunkt to another part of the front and catch the enemy off guard. Similarly the Soviet player can utilize his rail capacity to concentrate forces where they are needed. Early in the game the Soviets will need to plug gaps in the line and maintain continuity of defence. Once the Red Army has built up steam they can apply pressure to the weaker enemy sectors by concentrating troops there for an offensive.
It is not simply a matter of sending troops forward to the front, try a dummy left hook or two and then go for a knock out blow with the right - keep the enemy guessing and on their toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
If you find yourself taking a mini-vacation to the San Diego area let me know.

might happen!

I'll keep it in mind! Thanks for the offer, Mike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
johnrgordon wrote:
In this game there is a lot to be said for the MacArthur axiom "Hit 'em where they 'aint". In this fashion the German player with his higher movement allowances, (perhaps supported by movement cards), can switch the focus of his schwerpunkt to another part of the front and catch the enemy off guard. Similarly the Soviet player can utilize his rail capacity to concentrate forces where they are needed. Early in the game the Soviets will need to plug gaps in the line and maintain continuity of defence. Once the Red Army has built up steam they can apply pressure to the weaker enemy sectors by concentrating troops there for an offensive.
It is not simply a matter of sending troops forward to the front, try a dummy left hook or two and then go for a knock out blow with the right - keep the enemy guessing and on their toes.

Yes indeed! In the last game I played (and lost by one point!), I forgot this age-old paradigm: "he who defends everything, defends nothing!".

I was doing exceedingly well with the Russians in early 1942, and thus became careless in the south: instead of doing a sensible "defense in depth" I put in a long straight line of Soviet units! You see, I had a lot of troops to spare from up north, where everything was holding up nicely. I intended to do a crunching offensive in the south during the Summer (what a fool I was!). What happened instead is the German suddenly concentrating most of his Panzers there, attacking just some of my units and quickly surrounding the rest: I couldn't respond as I did not kept ANY cards in my hand for counterblow possibilities. I was able to stop his advance eventually, BUT lost 3VPs because of surrendered units. If I had defended correctly (less units up front, and NOT in a straight line!) this disaster would have been very easily averted.

For the record, the defense I used was suggested by some passing onlookers; but then, I did not have to listen to them, did I!!???

So in this case the Germans hit me exaclty where my units WHERE! But in a slim, long (stupid) defense line, and in clear terrain too: ripe for the picking by Hitler's Panzers! shake

BTW this was my first NR! loss ever. Very sobering. Yet most excellent and FUN contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.